Re: [nwbluegrass] Calling all Dawg's .... fans

  • P. Liley
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013
        Django Reinhardt

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Joe
      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:17 AM
      Subject: [nwbluegrass] Calling all Dawg's .... fans

      David Grisman Quintet is appearing in Seattle (at Jazz Alley) on Sept 26-29. They're presenting six shows during that period.

      A special trivia contest just for folks here on NWBluegrass yahoogroup ......

      Like to win a couple free tickets (value $53) to a David Grisman Quintet concert at Jazz Alley in Seattle?

      The tickets are for the 9:30 pm show on Friday Sept 27th.

      To win the pair of tickets, be the first to correctly answer this question:

      WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC, WHO DOES DAVID GRISMAN CONSIDER TO BE HIS GURU?

      There's only one correct answer ... If at first you don't get it, keep trying! You may submit a different answer every day until they're gone! Good luck ....

      For more info about DGQ and his upcoming Seattle shows, see the NEW Jazz Alley website is at:

      http://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/artist.jsp?shownum=1315

      Joe

    • peter@newearthmusic
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013

        Jerry Garcia?

        Thanks,

        Peter

        www.lakecitymusic.net

        206-465-9383

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013
          speaking of which:

          10.10 Thursday
          Nectar Presents:
          POOR MAN'S WHISKEY performs "Old And In The Way"
          Spare Rib and the Bluegrass Sauce
          Big E & Friends
          $10 adv / $15 dos
          7pm doors
          21+

          Nectar Lounge
          412 N 36th St

          TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!

          Tickets:

          Poor Man's Whiskey

          Spare Rib and the Bluegrass Sauce

          Big E and Friends

          On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM, peter@newearthmusic <pt@...> wrote:

          Jerry Garcia?

          Thanks,

          Peter

          www.lakecitymusic.net

          206-465-9383

          David Grisman Quintet is appearing in Seattle (at Jazz Alley) on Sept 26-29. They're presenting six shows during that period.

          A special trivia contest just for folks here on NWBluegrass yahoogroup ......

          Like to win a couple free tickets (value $53) to a David Grisman Quintet concert at Jazz Alley in Seattle?

          The tickets are for the 9:30 pm show on Friday Sept 27th.

          To win the pair of tickets, be the first to correctly answer this question:

          WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC, WHO DOES DAVID GRISMAN CONSIDER TO BE HIS GURU?

          There's only one correct answer ... If at first you don't get it, keep trying! You may submit a different answer every day until they're gone! Good luck ....

          For more info about DGQ and his upcoming Seattle shows, see the NEW Jazz Alley website is at:

          http://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/artist.jsp?shownum=1315

          NECTAR LOUNGE
          Production Manager / Talent Buyer
          (206) 718-2627

        • Mark Steudel
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013
            Ralph Rinzler?

[...]

            Mark Steudel
            P: 425.298.7244
            F: 206.260.3021
            msteudel@...

            . : Adoption Updates : .
            http://www.steudel.org/blog

            . : Work : .
            http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

            . : LinkedIn : .
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel
          • Joe
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

              > Ralph Rinzler?

              CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

              The question was:
              Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

              Answer:

              There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

              "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

              I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

              We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!
              Joe
            • Mark Steudel
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
                Woo hoo! Awesome and I've never seen David Grisman before! Wow and at Jazz Alley thanks!!!

                On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Joe <rossjoe@...> wrote:

                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

                > Ralph Rinzler?

                CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

                The question was:
                Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

                Answer:

                There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

                "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

                I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

                We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!

                Mark Steudel
                P: 425.298.7244
                F: 206.260.3021
                msteudel@...

                . : Adoption Updates : .
                http://www.steudel.org/blog

                . : Work : .
                http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

                . : LinkedIn : .
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel
              • Marv Sobolesky
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
                  Your in for a real treat!!! I saw Dawg at Wintergrass for first time. Jaw dropping!

                  Marv Sobolesky

                  On Sep 14, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

                  Woo hoo! Awesome and I've never seen David Grisman before! Wow and at Jazz Alley thanks!!!

                  On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Joe <rossjoe@...> wrote:

                  --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Mark Steudel <msteudel@...> wrote:

                  > Ralph Rinzler?

                  CONGRATS to Mark on winning the pair of tix to Grisman's Friday 27 Sept show at 9:30 pm at Jazz Alley in Seattle.

                  The question was:
                  Who does David Grisman consider to be his musical guru?

                  Answer:

                  There's only one correct answer - Ralph Rinzler. According to Grisman, Rinzler was a personal friend, mentor and musical guru.

                  "We met when Ralph was twelve and I was two. My mother was Ralph's art teacher and had brought me into class. Years later, as a teenager, listening to the Kingston Trio, I re-encountered Ralph when he came into my junior high school English class and played the guitar, banjo, and mandolin. This was the first mandolin playing that I can remember hearing. And I did remember! From that day forward, Ralph was my musical guru. Beyond that, he taught me countless other lessons too numerous and profound to detail in limited space."

                  I recommend Ralph on the Greenbriar Boys albums. Ralph documented many recordings for the Library of Congress, including the incredible Doc Watson & Clarence Ashley double CD. In his memory, the Smithsonian Institute created the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections at the Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. The collection includes more than 17,000 commercially released discs, more than 2000 CDs, 4000 acetate discs, 45,000 audio tapes, 2000 videotapes, and more than 500,000 feet of motion picture film. He also received the IBMA Award of Merit in 1987. He died in 1994.

                  We'll have another ticket giveaway in a few days!

                  Mark Steudel
                  P: 425.298.7244
                  F: 206.260.3021
                  msteudel@...

                  . : Adoption Updates : .
                  http://www.steudel.org/blog

                  . : Work : .
                  http://www.mindfulinteractive.com

                  . : LinkedIn : .
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/steudel

                • Eight Dollar Mountain
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                  • j ARCHITECTS
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                      Jethro

                      --
                      j ARCHITECTS

                      Jim Rymsza, A.I.A.
                      6823 30th Avenue NE, Seattle  WA  98115
                      (Office) 2 0 6 . 5 2 6 . 0 7 0 7
                      (Fax) 2 0 6 . 2 1 9 . 1 8 4 8
                      (Cell) 2 0 6 . 7 7 8 . 4 1 8 2
                      (Web)  www.jarchitect.net

                      The opening and/or possession of any attachment(s) to this e-mail is your acceptance of the
                      Agreement to Obtain Electronic Files located at http://www.jarchitect.net/disclaimer.htm
                    • Joe
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                        Check out what they played at Jazz Alley back in Nov 2008:

                        http://www.acousticoasisdownloads.com/packages/2,111/David-Grisman-Quintet-mp3-flac-Live-at-Jazz-Alley-2007.html

                        11/2/2008: 'Lil Samba, Cinderella's Fella, Janice, Acousticity, Band Intros, Nuages, Dawg's Groove, Tracy's Tune, Swing '42, Newmonia

                        11/3/2008: EMD, Fiddler Medley, Blues For Vassar, Steppin' with Stephane, Swingin' with Svend, Band Intros, Bag's Groove, Waltz For Lucy, Mad Max, In A Sentimental Mood, Dawg's Waltz, April's Wedding Bossa, Gypsy Swing

                        NICE!

                        Many of these tunes from Jazz Alley are also on You Tube, such as:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rik21L49fiI "Gypsy Swing"

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFl2TDGuAW8 "Newmonia"

                        ... and several more ....