Re: [nwbluegrass] Advise on purchase of a mandolin for a student

  • eddard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      I'll unflinchingly endorse the Kentucky KM 254.  Vicki has one that has served her very well for a long time and is praised by many.  Costs about $350, don't pay more than that for this model, and is a real, all-solid maple and spruce A model, no frills, but sounds great and with a good setup is easy to play.

      In fairness to the company known as The Loar, I have heard their mandolins praised by a number of people who should know, and have purchased one of their guitars which fulfilled my expectations at a moderate price.

      If you get a mando that is all solid, that is, has no plywood in the sound box, you most likely will not be disappointed.

      http://www.eddard.com