Re: [nwbluegrass] Cashmere / Goldendale

  • eddard
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1 2:02 AM
      Au contraire, there are a lot of people, especially from Yakima, who have attended both festivals in recent years, and it's pretty likely that Goldendale will lose them this year.

      http://www.eddard.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1 7:19 AM
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, eddard <eddardh@...> wrote:

        > Au contraire, there are a lot of people, especially from Yakima, who have attended both festivals in recent years, and it's pretty likely that Goldendale will lose them this year.

        Hey eddard,

        Do you know Bud and Floy Starr? They moved up to that area (from Roseburg) about 3 years ago. Say they can't find many folks to jam with around Wenatchee. Bud plays mando; Floy plays guitar. If you get a chance, try to connect with them in Cashmere. Scott McAdoo will be there jamming with them on banjo.

        joe
      • P. Liley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1 8:17 AM
          There is, or used to be, a regular Thursday night Jam in the Leavenworth area. If they contact Marie cashmereheights@... or Chuck chuck@... for more info.

          Pat L.

          > Au contraire, there are a lot of people, especially from Yakima, who have attended both festivals in recent years, and it's pretty likely that Goldendale will lose them this year.

          Hey eddard,

          Do you know Bud and Floy Starr? They moved up to that area (from Roseburg) about 3 years ago. Say they can't find many folks to jam with around Wenatchee. Bud plays mando; Floy plays guitar. If you get a chance, try to connect with them in Cashmere. Scott McAdoo will be there jamming with them on banjo.

          joe

        • Steve Blanchard
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6 3:00 PM
            I don't see them co-existing very well.  Goldendale will get crushed more than likely because WRBF has a more established event and all the pickers go there. I guess we'll see.
            Steve

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6 3:25 PM
              I'd really like to see Goldendale be successful --- on another weekend. I think therre is room for them, but they can't compete with Cashmere. It would be nice if they could get something in May or late Sept. Maybe give the Eastern WA/Eastern OR an alternative to Shelton?

              Pat

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6 4:30 PM
                They were previously scheduled the week after Cashmere.  That worked for us in the gorge and Portland area!

                Their late festival in May festival had no competition - sorry they changed it into June.It was cold one year.

                Bluegrassers are prepared for all kinds of weather but not two east-side Blue Grass festivals on the same weekend  !!!

                We had to chose Cashmere even tho we live an hour from Goldendale.

                 http://www.vanceArt.com

                >________________________________

              • flatpicker2
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6 7:50 PM
                  The Shelton festival is always the weekend after Mothers Day in May. It draws many from the east side as well as Oregon and It wouldn't be a good thing to conflict it with another festival the same weekend in my opinion. Weather can sometimes be an issue that time of year but we have the indoor venues and option to jam indoors. Aren't there some June weekends open without conflicts?

                  --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, vicki vance <vickivance_99@...> wrote:

                  > They were previously scheduled the week after Cashmere.  That worked for us in the gorge and Portland area!
                  >
                  > Their late festival in May festival had no competition - sorry they changed it into June.It was cold one year.
                  >

                  > Bluegrassers are prepared for all kinds of weather but not two east-side Blue Grass festivals on the same weekend  !!!
                  >

                  > We had to chose Cashmere even tho we live an hour from Goldendale.
                  >
                  >  http://www.vanceArt.com
                  >

                  > >________________________________

                • David
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6 9:34 PM
                    Since Winlock moved to July, the first weekend in June seems to be open. Iffy weather though. Everyone wants to be in July or August because of the low rain threat. Only so many weekends of sun in the Northwest.
                  • bluegrassd2ha
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7 11:08 AM
                      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blanchard <vaquero503@...> wrote:

                      > I don't see them co-existing very well.  Goldendale will get crushed more than likely because WRBF has a more established event and all the pickers go there. I guess we'll see.
                      > Steve

                      Gosh,it really is unfortunate Cashmere and Goldendale are on the same weekend. Some year I hope to get up to Cashmere.
                      Will miss you guys aplenty.
                      If anyone new comes to Goldendale, please invite me to pick with you.

                      Find the funny looking tall guy standing behind a guitar, singing a bit to loud and a little to high.

                      looking forward to small jams,doing every song we ever dreamed of. Playing those breaks till we get'em just right,in a beautiful park with new and old pals, while the roosters crow.

                      Wow, I should be working ,,right after I pick one. Fred
                    • Jack H.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 13 10:28 PM
                        Mark,
                        Do you know any more about the Goldendale festival. I enjoyed the festival
                        when I went a couple of years ago. It has a nice, homey small town
                        atmosphere.
                        They could help their attendance if they provided more information in this
                        forum.

                        It appears that the bands will start at 2 pm on Friday and Saturday.
                        Do you know any more about a schedule? Are there evening performances?
                        Have they selected a 5th band?
                        Are you doing the sound?

                        Jack Hadfield
                        Enumclaw WA

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 14 4:11 PM

                        • Mark G
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 17 4:30 PM
                            Jack,

                            I realize this is after the fact, but I left town a day early to get set up.

                            The festival was a lot of fun. Music started on Friday at 2 PM and went until 9 PM. There was a very nice variety of bands playing with some traditional bluegrass, some all original bluegrass and some folky bluegrass/folk music.

                            Kathy Boyd & Phoenix Rising, Hard Shell Harmony, Fiddlegrass, Sequoia, Gone Fiddlin Again and the Sonic Light Orchestra all did a good job of keeping the folks entertained. Weather was just great with a nice breeze keeping it comfortable.

                            Saturday started at 10 AM with a band scramble and entertainment continued until 9PM.

                            The folks who put on the festival, the Goldendale Chamber Of Commerce, asked many people there to make suggestions for next year. They want to have a bluegrass festival and they want it to be successful. There were not a lot of folks there. They are asking for help from all directions.

                            They changed the date, didn't get their bands early enough, didn't advertise nearly enough, didn't get their web page changed, etc. which makes it impossible for folks to plan on attending well ahead of time. Next year should be much better. Their goal is to have it on the same weekend in June, whatever weekend that ends up being, every year.

                            They have an amazing collection of vendors. Just about anything you want is available including art, jewelery, shaved ice, elephant ears, etc. And they had the local high school girls dance team selling elephant ears and doing a dance routine during intermission. (I taught them how to do a proper cha cha....)

                            I think the main problem with the festival is that they have different people involved every year. And these are not festival familiar folks, just local Chamber members trying their best. My understanding is that they are going to put together a permanent committee to deal with the festival year after year.

                            I have been involved in Goldendale since it started and would love to see it continue. It is a great location, is practically free to the public, has good camping a decent stage (although the city is building a new stage slowly as funds become available), and plenty of shade. Plus, as I said a very complete range of vendors and a wine garden. Goldendale is 110 miles from Portland and Vancouver, an area of over one million people. We should be able to get a thousand or so folks to make the two hour drive.

                            To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
                            From: rabbitja@...
                            Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:28:05 -0700

                            Mark,
                            Do you know any more about the Goldendale festival. I enjoyed the festival
                            when I went a couple of years ago. It has a nice, homey small town
                            atmosphere.
                            They could help their attendance if they provided more information in this
                            forum.

                            It appears that the bands will start at 2 pm on Friday and Saturday.
                            Do you know any more about a schedule? Are there evening performances?
                            Have they selected a 5th band?
                            Are you doing the sound?

                            Jack Hadfield
                            Enumclaw WA

                          • flatpicker2
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 17 8:38 PM
                              Goldendale IS worth saving as a festival - hope it can happen.