Bluegrass Birthdays

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 1912 , May 1, 2002
      Bluegrass Birthdays for Wednesday May 1, 2002

      Sam Mcgee 1894.

      Anybody watch the PBS program on the last couple of nights about 3 families going back into Montana to live the real life of settlers from the late 1800's? Great show and occasionally some good music, but the thing that's driving me crazy is the fiddle that's hanging on one of the log cabin walls with it's bow. No body has pick it up and learned to play the on the dam thing. It' driving me crazy. Here the kids whine about roughing it and there's nothing to do and here's a golden opportunity to learn/play an instrument and they treat it as a wall decoration. What a bunch of dysfunctional people. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program, but that fiddle is driving me crazy everytime they show it in the same place and it appears no one has touched it. I suppose if it had been a banjo or maybe a guitar, it would be different.

      Message 1912 of 1912 , Jan 20, 2010
        Mason,

        I agree. All my contracts state that we are independent contractors and are responsible for all taxes. I also describe the purchaser as "authorized representative" instead of "employer".

        To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
        From: mltrking2003@...
        Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:27:02 +0000
        Subject: [nwbluegrass] Re: Music Contract Form

        I don't know about Wa. but in Oregon if you are an employer (as this contract states) you are liable for all income taxes, State unemployment taxes, FICA (SSI), medicare and, workmans comp. insurance! Myself, as a promoter,I would never sign this contract naming myself as an employer, you think ascap is bad........try going up against the government

        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Shelah Spiegel <ifiddler@...> wrote:

        ---SNIP---