Mandolin pickups

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2002
      On the question of mandolin pickups, Alan responded with McIntyre and I agree, but also there is Schertler, quite expensive, but very accurate and plugs straight into the board. Kenc

    • Ken Cartwright
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Joe Asked: "I'm looking for a pickup that preserves the
        acoustic sound of the
        instrument, and which has a 1/4" endpin jack to plug
        directly into.
        How are the Fishman, Schertler, McIntyre and other pickups?
        Thanks in
        advance"
        Joe,
        Mandolin pickups abound for sure. The problem with most
        pickups is they have atypical piezo sound, even with an EQ.
        I have probably had the best luck with the McIntyre feather
        with a LR Baggs Parametric DI EQ. Next would be the
        Schertler which I also recommend the Baggs Parametric on.
        As you know, the best sound is a microphone as you get
        the breath of the instrument. What about getting a mandolin
        that was designed to be electric. There are Rigels, Schwabs
        etc. Kenc
      • Earl G. Nash
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          Or you could try a K&K, made right here in Oregon.

          HYPERLINK
          "http://www.kksound.com/mandolintwin.html"http://www.kksound.com/mandolintwi
          n.html

          I don�t know how they sound in a mandolin but it makes John Standefer�s
          guitar sound just right�

          Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions. � G. K. Chesterton
          Earl G. Nash
          Washougal, WA
          _____

          Joe Asked: "I'm looking for a pickup that preserves the
          acoustic sound of the
          instrument, and which has a 1/4" endpin jack to plug
          directly into.
          How are the Fishman, Schertler, McIntyre and other pickups?
          Thanks in
          advance"
          Joe,
          Mandolin pickups abound for sure. The problem with most
          pickups is they have atypical piezo sound, even with an EQ.
          I have probably had the best luck with the McIntyre feather
          with a LR Baggs Parametric DI EQ. Next would be the
          Schertler which I also recommend the Baggs Parametric on.
          As you know, the best sound is a microphone as you get
          the breath of the instrument. What about getting a mandolin
          that was designed to be electric. There are Rigels, Schwabs
          etc. Kenc

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12981qbom/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
          plch/S=1705240556:HM/EXP=1101918452/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http:/www.n
          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400"click here

          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=grplch/S=
          :HM/A=2434971/rand=847229390"

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          HYPERLINK
          "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwbluegrass/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nw
          bluegrass/

          HYPERLINK
          "mailto:nwbluegrass-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"nwbluegr

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

        • Anna Snook
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            I second that. I have a K&K on both my fiddle and mandolin, and both pickups
            work really well.

            ~Anna

            Or you could try a K&K, made right here in Oregon.
          • Flat Pick
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
              I just got a new mando with a McIntyre and I think it sounds great. I was impressed by the sound direct into an amp, even without using a preamp. A friend has a Schertler and it sounds pretty good too. Without doing a side-by-side comparison, I think the McIntyre has the edge in sound qaulity and (assuming I remember what the Schertler cost), the McIntyre is a bit cheaper as well.
              -Gary Leek

              Ken Cartwright <kenc@...> wrote:
              Joe Asked: "I'm looking for a pickup that preserves the
              acoustic sound of the
              instrument, and which has a 1/4" endpin jack to plug
              directly into.
              How are the Fishman, Schertler, McIntyre and other pickups?
              Thanks in
              advance"
              Joe,
              Mandolin pickups abound for sure. The problem with most
              pickups is they have atypical piezo sound, even with an EQ.
              I have probably had the best luck with the McIntyre feather
              with a LR Baggs Parametric DI EQ. Next would be the
              Schertler which I also recommend the Baggs Parametric on.
              As you know, the best sound is a microphone as you get
              the breath of the instrument. What about getting a mandolin
              that was designed to be electric. There are Rigels, Schwabs
              etc. Kenc

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT