RE: [nwbluegrass] Claire Lynch Band at Wintergrass

  • Loren Postma
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
      Well Betty, here we are on Thursday. It looks like they are all still
      asleep. or something. I wish I had heard Claire, but never got there. She
      does have a very informative web site, & I have most of her CD's, which are
      a wonderful collection of music, both bluegrass, swing influenced, & jazzy.
      Perhaps we may hear from someone who was there at WG. Please.

      Hey Joe, Did you make it?? - LP

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
        I'm a longtime fan of Claire's, so my response may be a little skewed.

        I saw most of her performances at Wintergrass, including with the WG Youth Orchestra--the only one I missed was in the Regency Ballroom-- and they were all superb. Brian is doing a great job of staking out his place in the band, and Matt continues to be a masterful anchor.

        I expect that everyone agrees that Claire is a peerless singer and songwriter, but I think she deserves a great deal of credit as a bandleader--the arrangements frame both her voice and the band members' top-shelf lyricism perfectly.

        The CLB plays bluegrass music with a level of sophistication and taste that is, to my way of thinking, above and beyond a lot of more successful bands. They raise the bar for pickers everywhere.

        I offer as an example, the version of "Kennesaw Line" they played on Sunday. Breathtaking.
      • Rik James
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
          Thanks to Loren and nightclayton for posting about CLB @ Wintergrass.

          We in Bozeman were very pleased with her Thursday night performance at our historic Ellen Theatre.
          I was anxious to hear Matt and Brian for the first time, and was very impressed as well.
          And I certainly agree about Claire as a really really effective bandleader and superb performer.
          I am glad that Wintergrass was a success. Claire told us after the show that she was very excited to at last come for that festival.

          BTW, we have a concert series in Bozeman.
          Is it NW enough, being in SW Montana? At least some is Bluegrass, as much as we can!
          Visit www.bozemanfolklore.org/concerts.html to see our schedule of upcoming and past events.
          Four shows already done this year... Ben Bullington, Bryan Bowers (w. John Lowell & Tom Murphy), Stephanie Davis Band, and Andy Reiner in a solo fiddle/mandolin show.
          (We’ll roll out a big red carpet for any of you other NW Bluegrass subscribers!)

          Best,
          Rik James
          KGLT & Bozeman Folklore Society
          d28rik@...

          PS – I just get the digest, so I’m a bit late on keeping up!
          But I enjoy very much reading the posts on this list! Thanks, Joe!

        • Jim Portillo
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
            Another person who really did an outstanding job, both at his concert and at his workshop, was the master himself…Wayne Henderson! If anyone saw either his concert or his workshop, you’ll probably agree. He demonstrated his superb pickin’ on tunes well known and loved.

            At his concert, Mandolinist extraordinaire Tony Williamson joined him. It was hard to believe they’d not played together in 35 years. They hadn’t even seen each other since then until a few minutes before the concert. Yet, when they began to play, the musical chemistry took over and they were outstanding!

            For the workshop, Wayne was joined by Chuck Egner on bass. There, he picked some tunes, told some jokes and stories, talked about building guitars, and showed off his latest Henderson guitar…Triple O #552, which he brought for its new owner. The guitar looked and sounded beautiful, and its owner was in awe and was moved beyond words.

            Wayne’s talent shined in every way during Wintergrass. I am thrilled they decided to give him a stage this year and will lobby hard for Wayne Henderson’s return next year.

            Jim

            d28rik@... <mailto:d28rik%40msn.com>

          • paisleydrive@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
              Claire was amazing to see in person. I've heard her recordings for years, but her personality really shines through on stage. Her voice is so sweet and honest and her band was top notch all the way. Seeing Mark Schatz is always a treat and having him contribute to the show with his banjo playing and dancing was a nice touch. Get Claire back again to Wintergrass anytime.