Re: [nwbluegrass] "New" songs

  • Marv Sobolesky
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2 12:55 PM
      New Century Hornpipe
      New Camptown Races
      I wish you new...oh wait..that's knew...never mind.

      Marv Sobolesky
      www.marvsmusic.com

      On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:50 PM, "Dale Wagner" <dwagner@...> wrote:

      > New Five Cents - old time fiddle song
      > Dale

    • Seafeldt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2 2:34 PM
        New River Train
        I wish you new...oh wait..that's knew...never mind.

        Marv Sobolesky
        www.marvsmusic.com

        On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:50 PM, "Dale Wagner" <dwagner@...> wrote:

        > New Five Cents - old time fiddle song
        > Dale

      • Eric Cole
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2 2:37 PM
          My Little Old Home Down in New Orleans

          ________________________________
          I wish you new...oh wait..that's knew...never mind.

          On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:50 PM, "Dale Wagner" <dwagner@...> wrote:

          > New Five Cents - old time fiddle song
          > Dale

        • Joe
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2 3:12 PM
            New Muleskinner Blues ... originally recorded about 1940 by Bill Monroe ... & played on the Grand Ole Opry.

            "We don't do it the way Jimmie Rodgers sung it," Monroe once said. "It's speeded up."
          • flatpicker2
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2 3:14 PM
              I Wish You New . . . Just kidding!
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Eric Cole <edcofgems56@...> wrote:

              > My Little Old Home Down in New Orleans
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Shelah
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2 3:14 PM
                New River Train

                Sent from Shelah's iPhone

                On Jan 2, 2012, at 3:12 PM, "Joe" <rossjoe@...> wrote:

                > New Muleskinner Blues ... originally recorded about 1940 by Bill Monroe ... & played on the Grand Ole Opry.
                >
                > "We don't do it the way Jimmie Rodgers sung it," Monroe once said. "It's speeded up."

              • Nancy Christie
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2 4:09 PM
                  Jimmie Brown the New(s) Boy

                  On 1/2/12, Shelah <ifiddler@...> wrote:
                  > New River Train
                  >

                  > Sent from Shelah's iPhone
                  >
                  > On Jan 2, 2012, at 3:12 PM, "Joe" <rossjoe@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> New Muleskinner Blues ... originally recorded about 1940 by Bill Monroe
                  >> ... & played on the Grand Ole Opry.
                  >>
                  >> "We don't do it the way Jimmie Rodgers sung it," Monroe once said. "It's
                  >> speeded up."

                • Matthew Snook
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3 1:32 AM
                    Brand New Shoes (Monroe), New Patches (Morris).
                    On Jan 3, 2012 1:27 AM, "Matthew Snook" <bohemianbanjo@...> wrote:

                    > Brand New Shoes (Monroe), New Patches (Morris).
                    > On Jan 2, 2012 4:09 PM, "Nancy Christie" <nancy.d.christie@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> **
                    >>

                    >> Jimmie Brown the New(s) Boy
                    >>
                    >> On 1/2/12, Shelah <ifiddler@...> wrote:
                    >> > New River Train
                    >> >

                    >> > Sent from Shelah's iPhone

                    >> "It's

                  • bluegrasshack
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3 9:33 AM
                      Brand New Tennessee Waltz

                      Pick away!
                      Cuzin Betty in Tennessee

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4 9:56 PM
                        In recent decades, country music has branched off in about a hundred different directions. In the days before "outlaw country" or "alt-country" or "country-pop," we had just plain ol' simple "country" music. I like to revisit those old-time and traditional roots to remind us of what the music once was. So for that reason, I've chosen a special song called "When the Wagon was New," written by Sam McGee.

                        Who is Sam McGee, you ask? He and his brother (Kirk) were born in Franklin, Tn. back in 1894 and 1899, respectively. Their father was a fiddler, bought 12-year-old Sam a banjo, and soon both boys (influenced by local black musicians) were out performing on banjo and guitar. After hearing Uncle Dave Macon about 1923, they joined his Fruit Jar Drinkers, and played on the WSM radio show that became the Grand Ole Opry. They began recording in 1928. The formed a popular trio called The Dixieliners with Fiddlin' Arthur Smith in 1930. After WWII, we hear them on the Folkways record label, recording with Macon Smith (with the Delmore Brothers), touring with comedy act Sara and Sally, and playing regularly on the Opry. Sam died on August 21, 1975 in a tractor accident.

                        About this song he wrote in the 1920s, "When the Wagon was New," Sam McGee once said, "Back in the days when I was just a kid we did a lot of that – went to church in wagons and even on horseback. Those were the horse and buggy days. I seen a lot of that during the twenties and thirties in Alabama and down through there in places that I played. In some places, especially in the hilly countries, some of that is still going on right now."

                        I really like the straightforward, nostalgic feeling conveyed in the song. What better song is there to remember the "good old days" as we begin 2012? In the first verse, Sam mentions the "old rusty wagon that's left to rot away," and he remembers how "people all loved their neighbor, everybody was so free." It's an old style of country music, and why aren't songs written today that mention daddy, mom, the children, grandma and grandpa too, riding off to church on Sunday "when the wagon was new"? Even though the song is nearly 100 years old, look how relevant and insightful the last verse still is today:

                        The automobiles are here now, and the wagon days are through,
                        The airplanes are a-hummin', good neighbors are so few,
                        Everybody's in a hurry, it's the money that takes you through,
                        We didn't need much money, when the wagon was new.

                        Now, that's one heartfelt sentiment with a lot of wisdom. Check it out on You Tube if you get a chance. Or pick up a CD with some of Sam & Kirk McGee's music if you haven't heard much of it before.

                        For the new year, check out some of those old songs that mention the new.

                        See ya