Re: [nwbluegrass] Fiddle, cello, old-time, Scottish, workshops, concerts, Oct 10-12

  • Jim Krowka
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
      Thanks for this info, Bill. Bummer that both of those dates are really bad
      for both Gwen or I to try and get off work to attend. Do you know if either
      Rosie Newton and/or Abby Newton will be doing any concerts and workshop
      combos in the Eugene/Corvallis OR areas in the near future? Thanks.

      Jim

      On 9/29/11 11:14 AM, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > to 8:30PM in Southeast Portland. She will be covering styling from both her
      > Celtic playing with Ferintosh and the Ithaca-style that she is so well know
      > for. The fee for this fiddle workshop is $25. Contact Etienne for information
      > and registration at climb2ski@... <mailto:climb2ski%40gmail.com> .
      >
      > Cello Workshop by Abby Newton at this same time - Contact Etienne at
      > climb@ski@... <mailto:ski%40gmail.com>
      > HOUSE CONCERT FERINTOSH - OCTOBER 11 - contact Abbie Weisenbloom for
      > reservations and more information at 503-233-4945/abbiew@...
      > <mailto:503-233-4945%2Fabbiew%40froggie.com> (flyer attached).
      >
      > 7:30 PM Concert / 6:30 Potluck - Sunnyside neighborhood of SE Portland.
      >
      > FERINTOSH, featuring cellist Abby Newton, Celtic harpist Kim Robertson and
      > guest fiddler, Rosie Newton, perform the vibrant folk music of Scotland,
      > America and Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. From soulful songs and airs to sprightly
      > strathspeys and reels, their spirited arrangements showcase their virtuosity
      > and the rhythmic energy of this timeless music.
      >
      > In 18th century Scotland, the boundaries between "art" music and the
      > "people's" music were less distinct than today. The same musicians who
      > performed for the lords and ladies in their castles also played in the town
      > halls for dances. Ferintosh's unique musical focus transcends modern
      > distinctions between "classical" and "folk" music. Their dynamic ensemble of
      > instruments combines the subtle beauty of chamber music with the primal energy
      > of folk music. With the addition of some vocals, old time fiddling and humor,
      > their concerts are eclectic and entertaining.

      > HOUSE CONCERT - ROSIE NEWTON & FRIENDS - OCTOBER 12 - contact Scott Killops
      > for reservations and more information at scott.killops@...
      > <mailto:scott.killops%40gmail.com> .
      >
      > 8:00 PM Concert - Mt. Tabor neighborhood of SE Portland.
      >

      > HOUSE CONCERT An Old Timey Music evening with Rosie Newton, Joanna Macrae,
      > Gabrielle Macrae and Abby Newton - playing traditional music from North to
      > South.
      >
      > Rosie Newton is a "classic Ithaca-style old time fiddler" - perhaps one of the
      > most sought after fiddlers of Ithaca, New York. She has recently been touring
      > in a trio with Richie Sterns (banjo) and Will Watson of Old Crow Medicine Show
      > and has recorded formally with the Pearly Snaps.
      > http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pearly-Snaps/144272978970571 and
      > http://rosienewtonmusic.com
      >
      > Rosie will be joined by her friends, Joanna and Gabrielle Macrae (from
      > Portland, but banking on their experience living in Ashville, North Carolina)
      > to play and sing Appalachian fiddle tunes, ballads, and traditional folk
      > music.
      > http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Macrae-Sisters/109773049074559
      >
      > And as a special treat Rosie, Gabrielle and Joanna will be joined by Abby
      > Newton of Shokan, New York. Her cello sound was part of the Putnam String
      > County Band when she played with John Cohen and Jay Ungar.

    • Bill Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
        They might be. I think they are all on tour. Check their websites.