Bluegrass Birthdays

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 1912 , Mar 31, 2002
      Bluegrass Birthday for Monday, April 1, 2002

      Johnny Young 1917, Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith 1921, Kenny Townsel 1956, John Niemann 1957, Berth Monroe died 1997.

      News from the motherland of Bluegrass: Nashville Tennessee. Stayton Oregon's own Zachary Driscoll left this area a couple of weeks ago pumped up because he was asked to play mandolin and sing with the James Monroe Band, Bill's son. Zach was apprehensive because of his limited mandolin skill, but was working hard to get better and putting in a lot of time to earn his keep. He got a call last Friday from James's Secretary telling him to call James, which he did and lo and behold, James let him go. Seems that he had found a more experienced mandolin player to take Zach's place. Well Zach was devastated, but he is hanging in there and working a couple of jobs and wanting to write songs and come back just a kicking. If you know this young man, I urge you to write him at fenian4life@... and give him your best wishes. Kenc

      Message 1912 of 1912 , Jan 20, 2010
        Mason,

        I agree. All my contracts state that we are independent contractors and are responsible for all taxes. I also describe the purchaser as "authorized representative" instead of "employer".

        To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
        From: mltrking2003@...
        Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:27:02 +0000
        Subject: [nwbluegrass] Re: Music Contract Form

        I don't know about Wa. but in Oregon if you are an employer (as this contract states) you are liable for all income taxes, State unemployment taxes, FICA (SSI), medicare and, workmans comp. insurance! Myself, as a promoter,I would never sign this contract naming myself as an employer, you think ascap is bad........try going up against the government

        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Shelah Spiegel <ifiddler@...> wrote:

        ---SNIP---