RE: [nwbluegrass] Re: "What is bluegrass" threads

  • P. Liley
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2011
      "For those who like the gelded tones of soft, sweet newgrass harmony the
      Cookes are going to feel like a slap in the face."

      "GELDED tones"????

      Pat L.

      Oroville, WA

      From: "Joe" <rossjoe@... <mailto:rossjoe%40hotmail.com> >

      > Am not familiar with The Cooke Duet or Rich & the Po Folks.
      Any on-line soundclips for either?

      Rich & The Po' Folk's website has all the tracks from their CD at:
      http://richandthepofolk.com/

      The Cooke Duet has to be heard to be believed. There is a growing
      realization
      nationally, especially among old-time, that The Cooke Duet is a major if
      overlooked American musical phenomenon. I don't believe they perform
      anymore,
      or even if they are still alive. For those who like the gelded tones of
      soft,
      sweet newgrass harmony the Cookes are going to feel like a slap in the face.
      I've written before that their singing can chop and stack a chord of
      firewood
      and still have enough left over to mow the south 40 before breakfast. Try
      these mp3s on and see if they fit. Some of The Cookes little handful of CDs
      can be found at Amazon, but their best, an old cassette tape, was never
      reissued. I believe all their studio tapes have been handed over to Freeland
      Records. Okay, put on your asbestos hazmat suit and listen:

    • Bill Martin
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2011
        Why can't I ever get this right? Try these:

        I Wanta See Jesus - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/I wanta see jesus.mp3

        Green Pastures - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/green pastures.mp3

        Bill
      • Bill Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2011
          Unbelievable! But surely it will be worth your plowing through my bumbling. I
          have no confidence whatsoever that these will pass through the filters, but
          let's give it one more try:

          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2011
            I stand with head bowed, bitter tears of shame coursing down my cheeks. Please
            accept my apologies for inflicting this chain of messages on you. This time I
            really did figure it out. You can't have spaces in URLs. Duh.

            http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/I_wanta_see_jesus.mp3
            http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/green_pastures.mp3

            Bill
          • Joe
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2011
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

              > http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/I_wanta_see_jesus.mp3
              > http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/green_pastures.mp3

              Hi Bill,

              Thanks for sticking with us on these Cooke Duet URLS. They were worth the wait, and those two songs were a great gutsy & gritty way to start this beautiful day. They have a nice sweet old-time gospel sound.

              At first, thinking they were brothers, I said "How can a guy sing that high?" Then I realized that The Cooke Duet is actually ex-coal miner Hubert Cooke and his wife, Jeanette. She sounds alot like Molly O'Day or Martha Carson, doesn't she?

              Both are playing guitar, right? Is that their son James playing bass? And it sounds like an elec bass? or is it an upright? If it's electric, he does a good job making it sound like a dawghouse.

              Is "I Wanta See Jesus" one of their original songs? Jeanette is singing lead, and Hubert is singing a low tenor. On "Green Pastures" he sings lead, she's got the high tenor...more of a typical "bluegrass" vocal arrangement.

              I noticed that neither song included any instrumental kickoff, breaks or endings. Is that typical of all their arrangements? I did kind of miss some mandolin or fiddle and maybe even a little Ralph Stanley kind of banjo in there.

              Is Hubert the brother of Jack Cooke who started playing bass with Carter & Ralph Stanley in 1955, then with Bill Monroe for 4 yrs, his own Virginia Mountain Boys band, Earl Taylor, Stoneman Family, then back with Dr. Ralph in 1970? Jack was born 6 Dec 1936 and died on 2 Dec 2009.

              I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? ... or if the Cooke Duet ever played at many bluegrass festivals ... or if they ever cut any of their songs with bluegrass accompaniment.

              Thanks again for sharing The Cooke Duet with us.

              Joe
            • Kate White
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                Bill, those two songs are beautiful! It's great to find some good
                Bluegrass Duets. Might be fun for Glenn and I to learn couple of the
                Cooke tunes...

                Kate
              • Bill Martin
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                  From: "Joe" <rossjoe@...>

                  > At first, thinking they were brothers, I said "How can a guy sing that
                  > high?"

                  I think Jeanette is the most powerful country/gospel singer I've ever heard.
                  But when you hear them singing solo they don't sound so remarkable. It's that
                  stunning harmony, a third amazing sound created by the two voices combined.

                  > Both are playing guitar, right? Is that their son James playing bass? And
                  > it sounds like an elec bass?

                  Yes, yes and yes.

                  > Is "I Wanta See Jesus" one of their original songs?

                  I don't think so.

                  > I noticed that neither song included any instrumental kickoff, breaks or
                  > endings. Is that typical of all their arrangements? I did kind of miss some
                  > mandolin or fiddle and maybe even a little Ralph Stanley kind of banjo in
                  > there.

                  Yeah, they seem to start off with a single chord most of the time. I would
                  love to hear them with a full bluegrass or country band. But their recordings
                  reflect the fact that they only performed for church or church related events.

                  > Is Hubert the brother of Jack Cooke who started playing bass with Carter &
                  > Ralph Stanley in 1955,

                  Interesting thought. There must be biographical material out there somewhere.

                  > I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? \

                  They were as of 1998 when I ordered the cassette. I had read a review in The
                  Old-Time Herald which described their music to a T. I'll try to scare up some
                  more info.

                  Bill
                • mt2_mandolin
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                    They have a web page.....

                    http://www.singingcookes.com/index.php

                    Good stuff Bill.... although it ain't bluegrass. = ) Might be better though. Did I just say that out loud?

                    --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

                    > > I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? \
                    >
                    > They were as of 1998 when I ordered the cassette. I had read a review in The
                    > Old-Time Herald which described their music to a T. I'll try to scare up some
                    > more info.
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Joe
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "mt2_mandolin" <mt2_mandolin@...> wrote:

                      > They have a web page.....
                      >
                      > http://www.singingcookes.com/index.php

                      Pretty cool how their family has stuck with and grown their music ministry over the years. I especially enjoyed reading their "bio" section, as well as "old photos":

                      http://www.singingcookes.com/photogallery.php?gallery=Some Old Ones&start=0

                      Richard Thompson in England also informed me that Jack Cooke is Hubert's brother.

                      See ya
                      Joe
                    • Bill Martin
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                        I have to say I don't care much for the Singing Cookes. Its the usual highly
                        produced bland modern gospel sound that is such a contrast to the early Cooke
                        Duet. Hubert and Jeanette's very early stuff was raw, with the most amazing
                        two part harmony. I would expect to see some snake handling and convulsions on
                        the floor at any church service they sang in. The so-called "greatest hits" at
                        the Singing Cookes site sounds like the kids re-recorded the parents' songs
                        and added all the smooth 3-part harmony and steel guitars and arrangement
                        garbage to make them more listenable to modern audiences. The early Cooke Duet
                        didn't do arrangements. They sang straightforward and honest and let it all
                        out in an emotional blast that must have been thrilling for the congregation
                        or audience. I would give my left arm to be in the front row of an early Cooke
                        Duet performance. So much modern gospel music is all about making money,
                        maximizing sales to the widest possible market by taking the guts out of the
                        music, and all done to a snappy beat and sprinkled with glitter..

                        From: "mt2_mandolin" <mt2_mandolin@...>

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

                          > They sang straightforward and honest and let it all
                          > out in an emotional blast that must have been thrilling for the congregation
                          > or audience. I would give my left arm to be in the front row of an early Cooke
                          > Duet performance. So much modern gospel music is all about making money,
                          > maximizing sales to the widest possible market by taking the guts out of the
                          > music, and all done to a snappy beat and sprinkled with glitter..

                          Bill,

                          I'm all for "Blastgrass" too as compared to "Snapgrass" ...

                          "Thrillgrass" is what got me into this music ... NOT the "Glittergrass"

                          But it does seem that a lot of "Gutlessgrass" is being put out there today (like on the watered down bluegrass radio shows today that play all the current fine-tuned major label releases instead of digging old gems out of the vaults). So what if the latter did have a few little "warts" on them? DJs need to play more of those "blasts" from the past. I haven't heard KBOO's Music from the True Vine for many years, but I know guys like Dave Elliott used to air a lot of fine old material.

                          But if that emotional and passionate kind of music is so thrilling, why can't its proponents make money presenting it?

                          Are you saying that exciting, stirring music like that has lost its popularity and widespread appeal? Why is that?

                          Joe
                        • Kate White
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                            I agree, Bill. I love the early sound as well and can't wait to hear
                            more of it on my drive south today...