RE: [nwbluegrass] "What is bluegrass" threads

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2011
      Gene,

      I agree with you. One thing everyone forgets is that the first folks to do bluegrass didn't have anyone to listen to so they could figure out how to do it. They simply did what they did.

      Bluegrass musicians today have history of great players to listen to and improve upon. It's no different than rock and roll. The first guitar players were lame by todays standards because they didn't have anyone to copy.

      Even modern "traditional" bluegrass bands sound better than a lot of the old stuff because of the natural progression of learning that has taken place. Imagine what the next generation of bluegrass music will sound like with recordings of all the great players of today being available to the kids.

      The music is constantly evolving and that's as it should be.

      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      From: sweatysocks2@...
      Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 02:58:47 +0000
      Subject: [nwbluegrass] "What is bluegrass" threads

      If nothing else, they're entertaining to read. There's traditional style bluegrass based on bands of long ago. There's bluegrass from modern bands that is far removed from that. And, there's bluegrass everywhere in between. Bottom line is it's all bluegrass. I like traditional bluegrass, but if I had to sit and listen to Ralph Stanley for three straight days I'd go hang myself.

      I've listened to a lot of older stuff. I've listened to a lot of newer stuff. In my opinion, and it's simply my opinion, modern players are light years ahead of what "used to be" in ability. Dang, some of those who were extremely popular many, many years ago, by today's standard, couldn't even carry a tune. After listening to the better bands of today's era, going back is like grating fingers down a chalkboard, in some cases. However, I still like a good dose of Ralph, Earl and Bill though.

      Thank God we all like various ways of playing the music. That means there's still room for creativity. Bluegrass isn't going to die and fade away because "that ain't the way Bill would'a done it!" I think you miss out on an awful lot when you're too legalistic. If I like it, I listen to it. If I don't like it, I don't listen to it, but I'm not gonna knock someone else because they like a style I don't care for. I'd much rather they were playing some music than not.

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2011
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "sweatysocks2" <sweatysocks2@...> wrote:

        > I like traditional bluegrass, but if I had to sit and listen to Ralph Stanley for three straight days I'd go hang myself.

        So if you were stranded on a desert island, which albums would you want to have with you? (assuming you had a stereo and electricity too ;-))
      • Bill Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2011
          5 ----- Original Message -----
          From: "Joe" <rossjoe@...>

          > So if you were stranded on a desert island, which albums would you want to
          > have with you? (assuming you had a stereo and electricity too ;-))

          My own half baked quicky list might contain:

          Flatt & Scruggs: Songs of Glory

          Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys: A Voice From On High; MCA-131
          No doubt it's on CD.

          Jim and Jesse and the Virginia Boys: Bluegrass Special; Columbia BN 26031
          Jim and Jesse and the Virginia Boys: Bluegrass Classics; Columbia BN 26074
          Its a double LP that you can still get from Amazon for $20.

          Early Blue Grass; RCA Vintage Series LPV-569
          I can't locate a CD version. Too bad cuz it sure is good.

          Hazel Dickens And Alice Foster: Won't You Come And Sing For Me?; Folkways FTS
          31034 - Banjo: Lamar Grier, Mandolin: David Grisman, Fiddle: Billy Baker
          Now on CD from Smithsonian-Folkways it looks like

          Mountain Music Bluegrass Style - Smithsonian-Foilkways CD SF 40038
          Mike Seeger's 1959 LP with Earl Taylor And The Stoney Mountain Boys; Stover,
          Lilly And Anthony; Bob Baker And The Pike County Boys; Yellin, Seeger And
          Weissberg; Tex Logan and more. Smiley Hobbs does a real fine Nine Pound
          Hammer. This LP was a kind of pioneering effort to showcase both southern
          regional bands and the new and unknown urban bluegrassers of the time.

          The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover: Early Recordings; County 729
          The Lilly Brothers: Bluegrass Breakdown; Rounder Special Series 01
          My two favorite Lilly Bros albums.

          The Vern Williams Band: Traditional Bluegrass: Arhoolie CD 514
          Brilliant, live traditional bluegrass from Northern Californy

          The Cooke Duet: Early Cooke Duet; Freeland FRC-CD-647
          The Cooke Duet: The Best Of The Cooke Duet; Freeland cd-641
          Hair raising. No other way to describe them. Absolutely hair raising.

          Rich & the Po'Folk: When the Whistle Blew; June Appal JA0086D
          Bluegrass Hoedown: Vivian & Phil Williams with Harley and Shera Bray; Voyager
          VRCD 359
          These two aren't the world's top bluegrass bands, but Lordy they make
          wonderful
          car travelling music:

          Bill
        • sweatysocks2
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2011
            ***So if you were stranded on a desert island, which albums would you want to have
            with you? (assuming you had a stereo and electricity too ;-))***

            Dang, I've got a thousand bluegrass/old time CD's in the entertainment center right now and I pretty much like'em all. LOL! But if I could only have 10 albums?....

            How about this:

            1) A collection of Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, The Osborn Brothers, Vern Williams and Mac Weisman, etc
            2) A collection of Don Rigsby, Nickle Creek, Blue Moon Rising, etc
            3) A collection of Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, The Doobie Brothers, etc
            4) A collection of The Blues Brothers, BB king, James Brown, etc
            5) A collection of George Winston, Kenny G, etc
            6) A collection of Irish tenors
            7) A collection of Foghorn String Band, Country Ham, The Reeltime Travelers, etc
            8) A collection of Jimmy Rogers, Hank Williams Senior, Jim Reeves, Dolly Parton, etc
            9) A collection of Benny Goodman, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, etc
            10) A collection of Confederate Railroad, Alan Jackson, Kathy Mattea, etc

            I'm tellin' you brother, a lifetime of ANY one thing would drive me over the edge. ;-)
          • Joe
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2011
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

              > The Cooke Duet: Early Cooke Duet; Freeland FRC-CD-647
              > The Cooke Duet: The Best Of The Cooke Duet; Freeland cd-641
              > Hair raising. No other way to describe them. Absolutely hair raising.
              >
              > Rich & the Po'Folk: When the Whistle Blew; June Appal JA0086D

              Bill,

              Am not familiar with The Cooke Duet or Rich & the Po Folks.

              Any on-line soundclips for either?

              I found a version of "30 Inch Coal" by Rich & the Po Folks:
              http://appalshop.org/wmmtfm/archives/25

              "Letcher County Kentucky's best (and only) old-time string band"

              "Rich and the Po' Folk play the full range of traditional mountain music– fiddle tunes, ballads, coal mining songs, Carter Family pieces, and contemporary mountain songs. Their performances include pieces they've learned in person from Art Stamper, Uncle Charlie Osborne, Thornton Spencer, Kentucky banjo legend George Gibson, ballad singer Addie Graham (Rich's grandmother), Hazel Dickens, and many more."

              Thanks
              Joe
            • Joe
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "sweatysocks2" <sweatysocks2@...> wrote:

                > How about this:
                >
                > 1) A collection of Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, The Osborn Brothers, Vern Williams and Mac Weisman, etc
                > 2) A collection of Don Rigsby, Nickle Creek, Blue Moon Rising, etc
                > 3) A collection of Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, The Doobie Brothers, etc
                > 4) A collection of The Blues Brothers, BB king, James Brown, etc
                > 5) A collection of George Winston, Kenny G, etc
                > 6) A collection of Irish tenors
                > 7) A collection of Foghorn String Band, Country Ham, The Reeltime Travelers, etc
                > 8) A collection of Jimmy Rogers, Hank Williams Senior, Jim Reeves, Dolly Parton, etc
                > 9) A collection of Benny Goodman, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, etc
                > 10) A collection of Confederate Railroad, Alan Jackson, Kathy Mattea, etc

                Brother Gene,

                Some great collections from many genres ... Could be rather cool if some of these guys got together ... If only Rigby would do an "Irish Tenor" album .... Or an album of Nickel Creek plays BB King? Foghorn covers Kenny G?

                I love the old classic country (& western swing). Was listening to a bunch yesterday on cassette tape. There are lots of great old tunes that can be done bluegrass style. What are some great old country and western swing tunes that really work in the uptempo bluegrass style? Jon was saying he's getting a lot of country pickers at his Dundee bluegrass jam, but they're giving everything played a bluegrass accent. We get the same down at our bluegrass jam in Roseburg. I don't think it's a bad thing. Maybe we can get more bluegrass arrangements going of the old classic country music? Hey, I better get back to practicing. Gotta sing Jim Reeves' "Mexican Joe" at a fiesta on Cinco de Mayo ... ;-) Reeves is one of my favorites too.

                Joe
              • Bill Martin
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                  From: "Joe" <rossjoe@...>

                  > Am not familiar with The Cooke Duet or Rich & the Po Folks.
                  Any on-line soundclips for either?

                  Rich & The Po' Folk's website has all the tracks from their CD at:
                  http://richandthepofolk.com/

                  The Cooke Duet has to be heard to be believed. There is a growing realization
                  nationally, especially among old-time, that The Cooke Duet is a major if
                  overlooked American musical phenomenon. I don't believe they perform anymore,
                  or even if they are still alive. For those who like the gelded tones of soft,
                  sweet newgrass harmony the Cookes are going to feel like a slap in the face.
                  I've written before that their singing can chop and stack a chord of firewood
                  and still have enough left over to mow the south 40 before breakfast. Try
                  these mp3s on and see if they fit. Some of The Cookes little handful of CDs
                  can be found at Amazon, but their best, an old cassette tape, was never
                  reissued. I believe all their studio tapes have been handed over to Freeland
                  Records. Okay, put on your asbestos hazmat suit and listen:

                  I Wanta See Jesus - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/04. I wanta see jesus.mp3

                  Green Pastures - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/06. green pastures.mp3

                  Is that not the best Green Pastures you've ever heard? It leaves poor ol'
                  Emmylou spread out thin on the blacktop. Say now... Wouldn't a Cooke Duet
                  feature on Portland's Music From the True Vine be sweet? Of course, there can
                  be too much of a good thing. The studio equipment would probably melt down,
                  and the switchboard would go up in smoke from all the irate callers.

                  Bill
                • P. Liley
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                    "For those who like the gelded tones of soft, sweet newgrass harmony the
                    Cookes are going to feel like a slap in the face."

                    "GELDED tones"????

                    Pat L.

                    Oroville, WA

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                      Why can't I ever get this right? Try these:

                      I Wanta See Jesus - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/I wanta see jesus.mp3

                      Green Pastures - http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/green pastures.mp3

                      Bill
                    • Bill Martin
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                        Unbelievable! But surely it will be worth your plowing through my bumbling. I
                        have no confidence whatsoever that these will pass through the filters, but
                        let's give it one more try:

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 2, 2011
                          I stand with head bowed, bitter tears of shame coursing down my cheeks. Please
                          accept my apologies for inflicting this chain of messages on you. This time I
                          really did figure it out. You can't have spaces in URLs. Duh.

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

                            > http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/I_wanta_see_jesus.mp3
                            > http://www.bubbaguitar.com/sound/green_pastures.mp3

                            Hi Bill,

                            Thanks for sticking with us on these Cooke Duet URLS. They were worth the wait, and those two songs were a great gutsy & gritty way to start this beautiful day. They have a nice sweet old-time gospel sound.

                            At first, thinking they were brothers, I said "How can a guy sing that high?" Then I realized that The Cooke Duet is actually ex-coal miner Hubert Cooke and his wife, Jeanette. She sounds alot like Molly O'Day or Martha Carson, doesn't she?

                            Both are playing guitar, right? Is that their son James playing bass? And it sounds like an elec bass? or is it an upright? If it's electric, he does a good job making it sound like a dawghouse.

                            Is "I Wanta See Jesus" one of their original songs? Jeanette is singing lead, and Hubert is singing a low tenor. On "Green Pastures" he sings lead, she's got the high tenor...more of a typical "bluegrass" vocal arrangement.

                            I noticed that neither song included any instrumental kickoff, breaks or endings. Is that typical of all their arrangements? I did kind of miss some mandolin or fiddle and maybe even a little Ralph Stanley kind of banjo in there.

                            Is Hubert the brother of Jack Cooke who started playing bass with Carter & Ralph Stanley in 1955, then with Bill Monroe for 4 yrs, his own Virginia Mountain Boys band, Earl Taylor, Stoneman Family, then back with Dr. Ralph in 1970? Jack was born 6 Dec 1936 and died on 2 Dec 2009.

                            I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? ... or if the Cooke Duet ever played at many bluegrass festivals ... or if they ever cut any of their songs with bluegrass accompaniment.

                            Thanks again for sharing The Cooke Duet with us.

                            Joe
                          • Kate White
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                              Bill, those two songs are beautiful! It's great to find some good
                              Bluegrass Duets. Might be fun for Glenn and I to learn couple of the
                              Cooke tunes...

                              Kate
                            • Bill Martin
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3, 2011
                                From: "Joe" <rossjoe@...>

                                > At first, thinking they were brothers, I said "How can a guy sing that
                                > high?"

                                I think Jeanette is the most powerful country/gospel singer I've ever heard.
                                But when you hear them singing solo they don't sound so remarkable. It's that
                                stunning harmony, a third amazing sound created by the two voices combined.

                                > Both are playing guitar, right? Is that their son James playing bass? And
                                > it sounds like an elec bass?

                                Yes, yes and yes.

                                > Is "I Wanta See Jesus" one of their original songs?

                                I don't think so.

                                > I noticed that neither song included any instrumental kickoff, breaks or
                                > endings. Is that typical of all their arrangements? I did kind of miss some
                                > mandolin or fiddle and maybe even a little Ralph Stanley kind of banjo in
                                > there.

                                Yeah, they seem to start off with a single chord most of the time. I would
                                love to hear them with a full bluegrass or country band. But their recordings
                                reflect the fact that they only performed for church or church related events.

                                > Is Hubert the brother of Jack Cooke who started playing bass with Carter &
                                > Ralph Stanley in 1955,

                                Interesting thought. There must be biographical material out there somewhere.

                                > I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? \

                                They were as of 1998 when I ordered the cassette. I had read a review in The
                                Old-Time Herald which described their music to a T. I'll try to scare up some
                                more info.

                                Bill
                              • mt2_mandolin
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                                  They have a web page.....

                                  http://www.singingcookes.com/index.php

                                  Good stuff Bill.... although it ain't bluegrass. = ) Might be better though. Did I just say that out loud?

                                  --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

                                  > > I wonder if Hubert and Jeanette are still alive? \
                                  >
                                  > They were as of 1998 when I ordered the cassette. I had read a review in The
                                  > Old-Time Herald which described their music to a T. I'll try to scare up some
                                  > more info.
                                  >
                                  > Bill

                                • Joe
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                                    --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "mt2_mandolin" <mt2_mandolin@...> wrote:

                                    > They have a web page.....
                                    >
                                    > http://www.singingcookes.com/index.php

                                    Pretty cool how their family has stuck with and grown their music ministry over the years. I especially enjoyed reading their "bio" section, as well as "old photos":

                                    http://www.singingcookes.com/photogallery.php?gallery=Some Old Ones&start=0

                                    Richard Thompson in England also informed me that Jack Cooke is Hubert's brother.

                                    See ya
                                    Joe
                                  • Bill Martin
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                      I have to say I don't care much for the Singing Cookes. Its the usual highly
                                      produced bland modern gospel sound that is such a contrast to the early Cooke
                                      Duet. Hubert and Jeanette's very early stuff was raw, with the most amazing
                                      two part harmony. I would expect to see some snake handling and convulsions on
                                      the floor at any church service they sang in. The so-called "greatest hits" at
                                      the Singing Cookes site sounds like the kids re-recorded the parents' songs
                                      and added all the smooth 3-part harmony and steel guitars and arrangement
                                      garbage to make them more listenable to modern audiences. The early Cooke Duet
                                      didn't do arrangements. They sang straightforward and honest and let it all
                                      out in an emotional blast that must have been thrilling for the congregation
                                      or audience. I would give my left arm to be in the front row of an early Cooke
                                      Duet performance. So much modern gospel music is all about making money,
                                      maximizing sales to the widest possible market by taking the guts out of the
                                      music, and all done to a snappy beat and sprinkled with glitter..

                                      From: "mt2_mandolin" <mt2_mandolin@...>

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:

                                        > They sang straightforward and honest and let it all
                                        > out in an emotional blast that must have been thrilling for the congregation
                                        > or audience. I would give my left arm to be in the front row of an early Cooke
                                        > Duet performance. So much modern gospel music is all about making money,
                                        > maximizing sales to the widest possible market by taking the guts out of the
                                        > music, and all done to a snappy beat and sprinkled with glitter..

                                        Bill,

                                        I'm all for "Blastgrass" too as compared to "Snapgrass" ...

                                        "Thrillgrass" is what got me into this music ... NOT the "Glittergrass"

                                        But it does seem that a lot of "Gutlessgrass" is being put out there today (like on the watered down bluegrass radio shows today that play all the current fine-tuned major label releases instead of digging old gems out of the vaults). So what if the latter did have a few little "warts" on them? DJs need to play more of those "blasts" from the past. I haven't heard KBOO's Music from the True Vine for many years, but I know guys like Dave Elliott used to air a lot of fine old material.

                                        But if that emotional and passionate kind of music is so thrilling, why can't its proponents make money presenting it?

                                        Are you saying that exciting, stirring music like that has lost its popularity and widespread appeal? Why is that?

                                        Joe
                                      • Kate White
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                          I agree, Bill. I love the early sound as well and can't wait to hear
                                          more of it on my drive south today...