So give me some examples of "bluegrass" that you like

  • Gtrglenn
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
      Seems to me that some of the consternation over the recent discussion over Chris what's his names article and the thread from Mandolin Cafe would be diffused if we remember that the IBMA is an organization that exists to support performing artists. He seems to be applauding the move of the IBMA to be more inclusive of fringe performing bands. None of this has anything to do with local hobby jams, except that we get some of our good jamming ideas from professional performing bands we hear on records or in live shows.

      I'd sure like to hear more of your opinions about specific songs and artists that make the cut for you. Although I've only been playing bluegrass for a couple years, I've been noticing it since I was a wee one. When I heard the Hee Haw gang launch into "Uncle Pen" with that G run I knew that was different than a lot of other country songs, but at that age I didn't know the name for it. Now when I hear Alison Krause's band (without drums) I hear mostly bluegrass idioms, the breaks, the rhythm chops. Sam Bush sounds bluegrass to me (on steroids). Yes he plays plugged in. Your mics are all plugged in. So what? Bela Fleck? He does not sound bluegrass to me. I don't think he's even trying to. Jamgrass is too jazz for me, and so is some of Tony Rice. But I like a lot of Tony Rice's stuff and he clearly has influenced all the hot pickers that came after him.

      It would be good edu-tainment to hear some of you post a top ten list of your truest blue-est bluegrass favorites. Here are some of my current favorites.

      1. Stanley Brothers, Rank Stranger
      2. Bill Monroe, Uncle Pen
      3. Blue Highway, Gravelyard
      4. Peter Rowan, Walls of Time
      5. Flatt & Scruggs, Canaan's Land
      6. V. Gill & A Krause, High Lonesome Sound
      7. Patti Loveless & Ricky Scaggs, Daniel Prayed
      8. Doc Watson, Deep River Blues
      9. Emmylou Harris, Who Will Sing for Me
      10. Nickel Creek, Toxic (a Britney Spears cover)

      Some of you didn't laugh. That is sad.
    • Pete Goodall
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
        The problem with Top Ten lists (for me anyway) is that it's always a work in progress. FWIW we publish a list each year of our favorite recordings at KBCS and you can find them online at our website at www.kbcs.fm. Just click on "Programming" and "DJ's Favorite Recordings" - we have several years listed there.

        Along with that I start assembling my Top Ten each year by keeping them in a CD visor in my car so I can listen to them as I drive down the road. Here what I have already on my Top Ten for 2011....

        The Gibson Brothers - Help My Brother
        Donna Hughes - Hellos. Goodbyes & Butterflies
        Joe Walsh - Sweet Loam
        Larry Cordle - Pud Marchum's Hanging
        Town Mountain - Steady Operator
        John Reischman & The Jaybirds - Unique and Vintage
        The Bluegrass Regulators
        The Spinney Brothers - Side By Side
        Thomas Porter
        Larry Sparks - Almost Home

        Honorable Mention - Cahalen Morrision & Eli West - The Holy Comming Of The Storm

        Warning: This list subject to change without notice.

        Pete Goodall
        Bluegrass Programmer
        KBCS 91.3FM
        www.kbcs.fm

        To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Pete Goodall <petekbcs@...> wrote:

          > Here what I have already on my Top Ten for 2011....

          Larry Sparks' "Almost Home" is on my list too ... I haven't heard many of the others you mentioned, but some reviews of the rest of my Top Ten for 2011 (thus far) are on-line here:
          http://www.rootsmusicreport.com/index.php?page=reviews

          As you say, the list constantly evolves ... and there's quite a few different examples of bluegrass on there. Lately, I've found myself listening & enjoying NewFound Road's "Live at the Down Home" quite a bit. I like those guys. Glad they got a contract with Rounder. Jim VanCleve sounds real good playing his fiddle with them.

          Joe
        • Bill Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
            From: "Gtrglenn" <glennfarley@...>

            > 10. Nickel Creek, Toxic (a Britney Spears cover)
            >
            > Some of you didn't laugh. That is sad.

            Whaddaya mean? I'm laughing so hard I need to find that box of Keenex!