Harley Allen

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
      Sorry to pass along this sad news.

      The Bluegrass Blog – News at the speed of bluegrass – is reporting that the great songwriter Harley Allen has succumbed to cancer.

      He was a son of the bluegrass pioneer Red Allen, and married to the singer Debbie Nims. Allen has appeared on several 1970s albums with his brothers as The Allen Brothers. He has recorded three solo albums, "Across the Blueridge Mountains" (Folkways Records 1983), "Another River" (1996) and "Live at the Bluebird" (2001).
      He provided background vocals on the song "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" from the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Soundtrack. He has won two Grammy Awards for that recording in 2002, in the Best Country Collaboration with Vocals and Album of the Year categories.
      But he's best known to bluegrass and country fans as a prolific songwriter.

      Amongst many other songs he's written, are included:

      Wildwood Flower Blues (Audie Blaylock amongst others)
      High Sierra (Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris)
      Stray dogs and Alley Cats (Lonesome River Band – Window of Time)
      Spread a Little Love Around (Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder = Brand New Strings)
      A Simple Life (Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder – Live at the Charleston
      Music Hall)
      Me and John and Paul (The Grascals )
      Never Grow Up Boy ( Del McCoury Band – The Company We Keep)

      An obituary written by Jon Weisberger is here:

      http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2011/03/30/harley-allen-1956-2011
    • Al Price
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2011
        Truly sad news when we heard this. Bluegrass Blog wrote w great memorial as
        well, with videos from his days play bluegrass with his brothers to as
        recently as last month @ The Station Inn:

        *http://tinyurl.com/3tych4q*

        Worth watching every clip.