Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Bluegrass Bullies!

  • Mandoholic@Comcast.net
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 28, 2011
      There are jams that are closed, either on purpose or because of the level of playing.
      These are not the jams you find in an open area at a festival, if I start a jam in lobby
      it's going to be open to everyone and I'm going to welcome new faces. I love those jams
      and there is always something amazing that happens with a jam like that. If someone tries to
      take over, chances are good I'm going to say something, nice at first, not so nice at last. If you
      come to my camp at a festival you are welcome, but be aware of the level of musicianship. I've
      had jams that were so hot that I had to back out and grab a beer and admire the kids, that's not
      a jam for an old geezer like me, or a beginner. Had I happened on Rob Bulkley and Steve Pottier
      burning it down at Wintergrass I would have been thrilled just to listen, I know I can't add to that
      conversation, and my feelings would not have been hurt. I've run into very few jerks in my bluegrass
      travels, but I remember them, avoid them and don't invite them into my jams. I also know that I can
      be a bully at times, over-encouraging a beginner to take that first break, shaming a reluctant singer
      to take that first chance, telling the guy with the drum the get out, telling folks to back off so we can
      hear that soft singer sing, but I like to think I'm a benevolent bully. I really think music is fun and I
      want to share it with my friends and make some new ones in the process and the easiest way to
      get on the bad side of Clyde is to be mean to my friends, old or new. I'm going to hang out with
      Matt in Shelton.

      Clyde Clevenger
      Just My Opinion, But It's Right
      Salem, Oregon
      Old Circle

    • P. Liley
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 2, 2011
        Maybe the best thing to do would be to start your own jam. Calmly say something like “I thought these jams were supposed to be FUN … and this one isn’t. Guess I’ll move on and start my own jam. Anyone looking to have FUN is free to join me.” And then walk off … about 10 feet or so would be adequate … and being playing. Don’t compete – just completely ignore the “problems”.

        Pat L.