Bill Evans workshop and concert

  • Claire
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi, friend banjoettes and banjoers and lovers of all things banjo.

      The great Bill Evans is coming to Portland (the banjo player, not the jazz guy).

      Bill is offering a workshop the afternoon of Saturday, Jan. 22, and performing in Lake Oswego that evening. Let me know if you want concert information, and I'll pass it on to you.

      Here are the details about the workshop at my house in Northeast Portland:

      1 - 3 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 22, $35.

      If you're interested in the workshop, contact me offline or call me at 503-830-3453.

      This should be a good one! Here's what Bill wrote about it:

      Working Up Scruggs-Style Solos: One of the greatest challenges for banjo players at all levels is finding the melody on the fingerboard and choosing just the right rolls and licks to create legitimate sounding, driving bluegrass solos. In this "hands on, let's pick" style of workshop designed for players of all ability levels, Bill will show you how to choose a key for your solo, how to find those pesky melody notes, and how melodies are related to chord progressions. He'll then move on to show how roll choices can enhance the effectiveness of solos as well as teach many basic licks that come up again and again in Scruggs' greatest solos, taking you through a step-by-step process unlocking the secrets of great soloing and improvising.
    • Paul Peck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
        And if you're located north of this venue you can also enjoy Bill's
        outstanding performance at Traditions Fair Trade Cafe Friday, January 21
        in downtown Olympia, WA. Here's the lowdown:

        "He is able to reach into the banjo's past to make a sublime statement
        of its future...to create a sound firmly rooted in tradition but still
        fresh and vital." Tim Bond, Bluegrass Now
        Bill Evans is well-known within the bluegrass music community not only
        as a musician, but also as a teacher, writer and scholar. The Banjo in
        America concert traces the banjo from its West African roots to the New
        World as he performs musical examples from the 1700's to the present day
        on a variety of vintage instruments, explaining how the banjo has been
        at the intersection of African- and Anglo-American musical and cultural
        exchange for over 250 years. Tonight's show also includes special guest
        Corey Evans.

        8:00 PM, Tickets: $12 Student/low income: $8
        www.traditionsfairtrade.com click on Events
        /*Traditions Café and World Folk Art*/
        300 5th Avenue SW, Olympia, WA 98501
        360-705-2819

        Side note: Bummer! Bill's appearance conflicts with our annual Olympia
        Community Bluegrass Music Show (Runaway Train, The Oly Mountain Boys,
        The Blackberry Bushes) just a few blocks away. What to do?!