Re: Bluegrass birthdays and memories for Sunday October 31, 2010

  • sharidolan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
      I don't think I've met David Grier yet. Thanks, Ken, for all your help and encouragment. Yep,I'm loving the resonator guitar. I did have a couple of lucky moments there last night; suprised myself. Such fun. What do folks do who don't have music?

      Monday Bass player tip: take up banjo and dobro. :-)

      Shari Dolan

      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "kencradio" <kenc@...> wrote:

      > "sharidolan" <sharidolan@> wrote:
      > It's an anniversary of Kenc Radio? Great jam last night. Thanks for having my back on Cowboy's Sweetheart. So evidently you can pick 'Grandfather's Clock' in any key? Yikes! Shari Dolan
      >
      > Ken says: Shari you knocked us out last night with your resonator playing! Holy Cat Shit, you're a natural on that thing.
      >
      > David Grier used to come by our place a lot when he was in the area and he encouraged me to learn that song in every key. So, I took the challenge and learned it in every key.. It was very hard to do that but it sure gave me confidence in playing outside the box. If you want a humbling experience, play it with David sometime. He gets so weird with the melody that you have to hum it while you're playing the rhythm just to know where you're suppose to be..
      >
      > Thanks for a fun night at a fun jam... Kenc

    • Marv Sobolesky
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        Now David uses Redwing for this challenge. I got into a jam with David one
        time where we did it in all 12 keys. If you can learn it in the first 5
        keys of the circle of 5ths, (C,G,D,A,E) then it is just a matter of playing
        them in closed positions up the neck. But trying to play outside of the
        melody in these positions is a real challenge, but easy for Mr. Grier.

        Marv Sobolesky

        www.marvsmusic.com

        So evidently you can pick 'Grandfather's Clock' in any key? Yikes! Shari
        Dolan

        Ken says:

        David Grier used to come by our place a lot when he was in the area and he
        encouraged me to learn that song in every key. So, I took the challenge and
        learned it in every key.. It was very hard to do that but it sure gave me
        confidence in playing outside the box. If you want a humbling experience,
        play it with David sometime. He gets so weird with the melody that you have
        to hum it while you're playing the rhythm just to know where you're suppose
        to be..

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2055047/grpspId=1705240556/msgId
        =57404/stime=1288570417/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>