Re: Steve Martin??

  • Steve Bickle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      Do you mean King Tut Steve Martin??
      La Bic
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: tonyisdbest
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:15 AM
      Subject: [nwbluegrass] (unknown)

      Bluegrass and traditional country made a fine showing at this year's
      grammy awards...
      Country Instrumental Performance: "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," Earl
      Scruggs, Glen Duncan, Randy Scruggs, Steve Martin, Vince Gill, Marty
      Stuart, Gary Scruggs, Albert Lee, Paul Shaffer, Jerry Douglas and
      Leon Russell.

    • Chuck Powers
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
        The very same one. I just about fell out of my seat when I saw a video
        of Earl's remake of his Foggy Mountain Breakdown which shows on CMT
        every once in awhile, and there was Steve Martin in all his glory
        picking his banjo! He's such a talented guy.

        --Chuck

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:23:53 -0800
        > From: "Steve Bickle" <SJBLJB@...>
        > Subject: Re: Steve Martin??
        >
        > Do you mean King Tut Steve Martin??
        > La Bic

      • lepoochrwk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
          Yes, he's quite good. Back in probably '75-'76 I saw the Nitty
          Gritty Dirt Band (post Circle) at Royce Hall at UCLA while visiting.
          A friend did the lights, so got front row center seats and back stage
          passes afterward. Steve Martin was the warm up act - was before he
          made it big in film and was still doing standup and balloon animals.
          We howled and were stunned when he pulled out his banjo during his
          act.

          Turned out that he, McKuen and Co. were thicker than thieves - all
          lived in Colorado at the time. For an encore, Martin came out and
          joined NGDB for 2 or 3 numbers. One was Foggy Mtn Breakdown and he
          and John McKuen 'played each other's ' banjos - picking their own,
          but fingering the other's instrument. They did it flawlessly.

          Don't know what was more surprising, that performance or discovering
          a girl I graduated high school with was a REALLY tacky-lookin'
          groupie for NGDB. Anyway, was a great concert.

          Dick