RE: [nwbluegrass] Re: sorry

  • P. Liley
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
      I just bought a Seagate 500 gig external drive that connects through the USB
      port. $79 at WallyWorld. It does an automatic backup at 10:00 pm (or
      whenever you set it), does movies, videos, etc. Easy to set up, too. Just
      plug it in to an outlet (finding an empty one was the hardest part!) and
      into the USB and everything else was automatic. Software is already
      installed on the drive and it installed itself on the 'puter!

      Pat L.

      From: eddardh@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:34:59 -0800

      I'm certain I incurred one much like it when bored and surfing for jokes. It
      was called "Windows Police Pro," and it locked things up so badly that I was
      left with no choice but to format the boot drive, reinstall the operating
      system, and also reinstall every program in the computer. I did get the
      virus killed sufficiently to copy a small amount of recent data off of the
      boot drive, but the Windows installation was damaged beyond repair, so a
      clean install was the only option.

      Ugly business. Don't these crooks have anything better to do?

      http://www.eddard.com

      ---SNIP----

      19:34:00
    • DulcieDuck@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
        re: "I got an Internet Explorer hijacker virus Saturday. It pops up fake
        pages saying your computer is infected and to buy their program to fix it. It
        won't let you go to Microsoft's website to get virus removal instructions.
        It was nasty. Took all night for me to remove it the hard way."

        Praise the Lord! - I have a Mac!! I'm not a real computer-nik, so I
        wouldn't know how to cure a virus (or even a cold!) on my computer! I'm just happy
        that nothin' like that has ever happened to my li'l 'puter!

        -Dulcie , lately from NH and HI

      • Rod Leap
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
          "Prior to OS X, there were viruses written for Apple Macintosh computers.
          Any operating system on which software can be installed at all is
          potentially vulnerable to infection from a virus, which is itself a form of
          software. An operating system cannot distinguish good software from bad
          software; this is usually done by antivirus scanners or behavior monitoring
          programs. However, bona fide "viruses" are mostly targeted at specific
          groups or individuals, such as politicians and high-profile clergymen, most
          of whom are non-technical users who will use whatever their employers
          provide (most likely Windows).

          Most malicious programs in the wild are Trojan horses, rather than actual
          viruses. Besides Trojans, there are also a lot of spyware and exploits that
          can infect a computer remotely and surreptitiously, usually through a Web
          browser. Unlike viruses, which are written out of malice, these parasites
          are written for profit, and tend to target the platform with the largest
          install base. There are in fact some Trojans written for Mac OS X, but no
          viruses. There are Trojans, viruses, and some spyware for Windows Vista, but
          criminals have been largely unsuccessful at penetrating Vista remotely.
          Exploits and drive-by downloading (remotely executed) spyware are basically
          problems facing users of Windows XP or earlier. There are some viruses in
          the wild with drive-by downloading capabilities, but most viruses attack via
          e-mail (especially in religious or political chain letters), hiding in
          attachments like Word documents and PowerPoint slideshows.

          Note: There are professional security researchers who have successfully
          compromised both Macs and Windows computers remotely, as well as other
          operating systems for PCs, servers, and even mobile devices like the iPhone.
          Contestants from annual Pwn2Own competitions at CanSecWest have all said
          that Mac OS X is in fact less secure than Windows Vista (and its successor,
          Windows 7), but generally ignored by criminal hackers because of relative
          obscurity.

          Apple's Web site says that "a Mac is 100 percent safe from viruses designed
          to attack PCs." This is true; otherwise, Apple could face a class-action
          lawsuit. The loophole is a single, clever subtlety in the phrase, "designed
          to attack PCs." "

          _____

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
            Yeah thats good "relative obscurity" So please do stick with yer PC's so as to keep us Macies in "relative obscurity" Perhaps that would be best fer Bluegrass as well, so as not to get tainted and attacked by them professional profiteers. That would turn it into something other than what it outta be. :)

            Jimw

            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Leap" <rod@...> wrote:

            > Note: There are professional security researchers who have successfully
            > compromised both Macs and Windows computers remotely, as well as other
            > operating systems for PCs, servers, and even mobile devices like the iPhone.
            > Contestants from annual Pwn2Own competitions at CanSecWest have all said
            > that Mac OS X is in fact less secure than Windows Vista (and its successor,
            > Windows 7), but generally ignored by criminal hackers because of relative
            > obscurity.
            >
            > Apple's Web site says that "a Mac is 100 percent safe from viruses designed
            > to attack PCs." This is true; otherwise, Apple could face a class-action
            > lawsuit. The loophole is a single, clever subtlety in the phrase, "designed
            > to attack PCs." "
            >

            > _____

          • Mark Steudel
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
              Regarding backups, another option (depending on your how good your internet
              connection is) is to look at online backups (like mozy). You install a
              little automated piece of software that you can schedule to backup in the
              middle of the night and it just does it every day. I'm currently backing up
              over 100 gb of pictures on one computer using this, I don't have to
              "remember" to backup. It's relatively cheap. 6 bucks a month for unlimited
              space. Anyway just another alternative to external drive backups.

            • rustyautom
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                Yeah my ex-girlfriend was bragging that her Linux desktop and Mac laptop were immune to viruses. So i wrote one for each (being a code monkey) and sent it to her and gained complete control of her machines (no worries, I was nice!). A few more lines of code and I could have wiped out both her hard drives, or better yet istalled a keylogger and URL recorder that would have captured all of her passwords to her bank, etc.

                To me the big difference is that Windows for some reason encourages people to use their computers with complete amdininstrative priveledges, whereas Linux forces you to use a seperate 'super user' password to do anything serious ... kind of a wake up call like 'make sure you really want to do this'.

                I've been running Windows from 98 to NT 4.0 to 2000 to XP to Vista to Windows 7 ... never installed virus protection, spyware, etc. I just use a non-admin account to browse the web, and never click that grey box 'Do you want to install Bonzi Buddy? It's a cute little bear that infects your PC'.

                Well, back to bluegrass ...

                Russ

                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Leap" <rod@...> wrote:
                > Any operating system on which software can be installed at all is
                > potentially vulnerable to infection from a virus, which is itself a form of
                > software.
              • eddard
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Well, as my Dad once said, (best advice I ever got,) "Half of knowing what you want is what it costs."

                  http://www.eddard.com

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Not to pop anyone's bubble, but there are two dead Macs in the house I'm sitting in, and another that hasn't been plugged in for a couple of years because its OS IX is coming apart at the seams, its Internet Explorer has crashed, and its hard drive contents are hard to reach. There is also a fully functional iMac that isn't being used, though it's internet ready and connected. There are also five fully functional PC's, and they're doing all the work.

                    It's correct to infer from this that Macs don't last forever and stay hardware-adequate over the years any better than PC's do, and experience that shown that the total cost of replacing Macs is considerably greater, especially when software expenditures are factored in, if one is a user who does not necessarily need the latest and greatest software.

                    http://www.eddard.com

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Inattention will get you every time. Correction: "Half of knowing what you want is KNOWING what it costs."

                      http://www.eddard.com