RE: [nwbluegrass] Re: Authentic" Bluegrass"

  • pdidmh1
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
      Just don't pick on KSB. She is the BOMB!!!!!!

      Dave

    • lhpostma
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
        My belief is that buying the product & supporting the shows of the real
        bluegrass performers speak louder than a membership where one pays to be a
        voting participant. Support real bluegrass in a tangible way. In the IBMA
        results this year, there is a lot to love. Just focus on that. LP

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
          NOOOO!!!!! We'd probably get a Czar like "Deaf Cranberry
          Roosevelt" (isn't that the way they choose names -- a physical
          handicap followed by a fruit and ended with a former President's name
          -- ie "Blind Lemon Jefferson" or "3-finger Tomato Pie Eisenhower"?)
          or Chuck Mangione.
          I think we should stick with what we have. :-(

          Pat L.

          >And who's opinon of what "real" bluegrass is do we use? Yours? Mine?
          >Bills? Kathy's? Maybe a new Czar position in the whitehouse? LOL!
        • Marv Sobolesky
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
            And if you are not sure if its real bluegrass or not, support it anyway. All
            music needs support no matter what genre.

            Marv Sobolesky

            www.marvsmusic.com

            My belief is that buying the product & supporting the shows of the real
            bluegrass performers speak louder than a membership where one pays to be a
            voting participant. Support real bluegrass in a tangible way. In the IBMA
            results this year, there is a lot to love. Just focus on that. LP

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2055047/grpspId=1705240556/msgId
            =50830/stime=1254499238/nc1=3848621/nc2=4025338/nc3=5758219>

          • Bill Martin
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
              > And who's opinon of what "real" bluegrass is do we use? Yours? Mine?
              > Bills? Kathy's? Maybe a new Czar position in the whitehouse?

              I'll do it! C'mon, make me the czar! Please? Thank you all for your votes.
              Now, for my first order of business...

              King Bubba
            • David
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                un...no...lol

                > > And who's opinon of what "real" bluegrass is do we use? Yours? Mine?
                > > Bills? Kathy's? Maybe a new Czar position in the whitehouse?
                >
                > I'll do it! C'mon, make me the czar! Please? Thank you all for your votes.
                > Now, for my first order of business...
                >
                > King Bubba

              • eddard
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Straight out of Runaway Train and into "runaway topic." Some people are more oriented to what bluegrass was, and others are more oriented toward what bluegrass can become, and everybody's taste is different, and some things appeal more to musicians than to non-musicians while other things appeal more to non-musicians than to musicians, all of which profoundly affects the pay scale, which also matters more to some than to others who may be in it for the sentiment. How's that for glittering generalizations?

                  Me? I'm backslidin' this morning; listening to Jim Hurst and Missy Raines perform "The Important Part of Fishin', so I can do a better job of backin' one of my jammin' buddies when he pulls it out, and maybe do it my own self once in a while. But sometime yesterday, I did my duty to real bluegrass and listened to Blake Williams, Kenny Baker, and Bill Monroe play "Pike County Breakdown." It's on YouTube, and it sounds crisp and nice without gettin' too frantically ornate. Here's the link if you're interested:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzaA7vh3lAY

                  IBMA can't turn me away from prior learning. Too late for me to form new opinions. My mind is made up; don't confuse me with facts.

                  Eddard

                  http://www.eddard.com

                  ________________________________
                  IBMA is the official business arm of the bluegrass genre of music. Any of us can join and become voting members. Is it possible then for the award nominees and winners to be a realistic representation of what bluegrass is?

                  Greg

                • pearsun806
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                    --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "sweatysocks2" <sweatysocks2@...> wrote:

                    > ***IBMA is the official business arm of the bluegrass genre of music. Any of us can join and become voting members. Is it possible then for the award nominees and winners to be a realistic representation of what bluegrass is?
                    >
                    > Greg***
                    >
                    > And who's opinon of what "real" bluegrass is do we use? Yours? Mine? Bills? Kathy's? Maybe a new Czar position in the whitehouse? LOL!

                  • (no author)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Actually you are all too late.

                      There already IS a music czar in the White House. His opinion is considered the law.

                      Folks, meet Sniff Doggy Poop. The new music czar.

                      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
                      From: pliley@...
                      Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:11:09 -0700
                      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Authentic" Bluegrass"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                        I vote for Bill. his opinion works for me.

                        Clyde Clevenger
                        Just My Opinion, But It's Right
                        Salem, Oregon
                        Old Circle

                      • eddard
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                          Fact No. 1: You don't have to wear just one hat. Consider Robert Bowlin, first as a Bluegrass Boy, fiddlin' "Gold Rush:"
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxG11BmCsVk&NR=1

                          Then, the same guy as a solo guitarist doing stuff that would sit well on Candyrat Records with the likes of Andy McKee, Don Ross, and Antoine Dufour. (Bowlin actually performs with Wil Maring.) He is not letting the recording industry's expediencies of classifying music into "genres" tie him down. He plays what appeals to him.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpWtIiwTN5g&feature=related

                          Fact No. 2: Most of IBMA's featured artists can actually play like anything. I stumbled onto this video of Tony Rice, Mark O'Connor, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Mark Schatz, and Béla Fleck playing "Freeborn Man," a tune we owe to Keith Allison and Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders, so it probably wasn't quite bluegrass in the first place, and in the hands of these very able players today, it's all decorated up nice with a zillion licks that are dominating bluegrass recording today, but it's a far cry from the way Jimmy Martin treated "Freeborn Man." Still, it IS pretty awesome music, and I don't have to call it bluegrass or not-bluegrass:

                          Rice, et.al:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHXOwk3xNo&feature=related

                          Jimmy Martin:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVlu5yqFHk

                          Fact No.3: You don't have to throw every lick you've got at every tune you play; there are other values in music.
                          Illustrative if that principle is Jerry Douglas in this video:

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsYJd5PxZo&feature=channel_page

                          As a picker with his own cross to bear, I can only be a collector of what sounds good to me, learn to play what I can from that immense bag, and let the rest go. As Matt says; "just thinking out loud."

                          Eddard

                          http://www.eddard.com

                        • Bill Martin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
                              Bill

                              You can listen to Josh Graves and I will listen to Jerry Douglas and we will
                              both be happy.

                              Dave