Capo jammin'

  • Bill Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      I'm wondering about the Delmore Bros. I think they used a git tar and a
      tenor guitar. But did they also capo up? Or do two 6-stringers? Sometimes
      sounds like capoing to me. I wonder how they tuned that tenor, like a
      mandolin maybe?

      There is a wonderful singing duo from Virginia, Mac and Jenny Traynham, who
      play guitars and also a tenor. You can find them at CDBaby and myspace. I
      think they use capos a lot but I have never seen them live so I dunno. Go to
      http://www.myspace.com/macandjennytraynham and listen to how they play "In
      The Blues Of Virginia". Sooooweeet! Then go to
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mjtraynham2 and you can listen to the CD re-release
      of their early 80s Lp. Lots of sparkling guitar work that hovers in that
      beautiful land between bluegrass and old-time country.

      Bill
    • eddard
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        How about tenor guitar tuned like a mandola? That high "A" string on a tenor guitar is a real small one, and about as tight as you want to pull a string, so down a fifth from mandolin, same intervals, and the chords are voiced like mandolin chords are. General range of the tenor is about a (musical) fourth higher than the six string, and almost as much range, though it only has four strings.

        http://www.eddard.com