RE: [nwbluegrass] Re: Wireless in ear monitors

    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2009
      First off, I don't think the type of monitoring system a performer uses has much to do with the audience or their response to the music.

      How many bluegrass fesitivals have we gone to where there is a row of 15" monitor boxes blocking the lower half of the musicians on stage? IEM's at least remove that visual interference.

      And I say if it helps someone hear themselves better and keeps hearing damage from happening, it's a good thing. IEM's do disconnect the musician from the audience but obviously many musicians can maintain a conncetion and still use them.

      Almost all the "bigs" you see perform on television are wearing IEM's.

      Unfortunately, sound reinforcement is a critical need even for acoustic instruments.

      Without some sort of electronic help, only the very few could actually hear and enjoy acoustic music and of course nobody would be able to listen to a recording of acoustic music either without those pesky electons ruining the music...

      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      From: nkm@...
      Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 23:10:26 -0700
      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Wireless in ear monitors

      Naturally, such devices would be in order for someone with a hearing loss.
      Aside from that, in-ear monitors, instrument pickups, thundering speakers -
      each component and add on gizmo can be justified and defended, but each
      moves the music farther and farther away from acoustic and adds yet another
      techno barrier between performer and audience response. Like Mark's lead
      singer implies, there is more to performing than just hearing you and the
      band. Otherwise, why not just look pretty while you lip-synch to a CD? Can't
      you just see robo pickers each in our personal audio booth, with perfect
      monitoring and mics, isolated for the pure performing experience? Maybe we
      can even pull a curtain so we don't have to be distracted by the audience.