Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Bluegrass Wedding Songs?

  • eddard
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31, 2009
      You're right, Ken; she deserves a serious answer, and I'd be happy to give her one, except for the fact that she asked if I know any bluegrass songs suitable for weddings, which I don't.

      If bluegrass was awash with songs suitable for weddings, Kim
      probably wouldn't have had to ask, and we'd probably have flooded her with
      suggestions that actually were good answers.
      One song that I
      personally think would make a great wedding song is the Beatles' "I
      Will."  The closest it's probably been to bluegrass was when Alison
      Krauss recorded it.  If one can get the right sidemen, it would sound
      great coming from a bluegrass band.  Another good wedding song is
      Curtis - Delanoe - Becaud's "Let It Be Me," but is it bluegrass? Not.

      Alan
      Bibey's "In the Blue Room" has a pretty good one called "Save Your
      Heart For Me," and lots of bluegrassers play "When My Blue Moon Turns
      To Gold Again," which is marginally appropriate for weddings.  Bill
      Monroe once recorded a thing called "The Lee Weddin" Tune;" it's an
      instrumental.  You can play almost any instrumental at a wedding,
      because the words won't get in the way.

      Would've offered more if I had it, but I really don't.

      http://www.eddard.com

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2009
        From: "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@...>

        > You folks are not serious.. She asked a serious question

        You're telling me "Shotgun Boogie" ain't serious?

        Bill
      • Ken Cartwright
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2009
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1, 2009
              Some songs that we have performed at weddings include:

              1. Before I Met You
              2. I've Got A Never-Ending Love For You
              3. Something That We Do (Clint Black, not bluegrass)
              4. Down The Road
              5. Sweet Blue Eyed Darlin
              6. I Know You're Married But I Love You Still (it's funny)

              We've also learned whatever songs the bride and groom request. Some of them are very interesting performed by a bluegrass band.

              David

            • jacklynrissmann@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 2, 2009
                Matt said: <<"I Heard The Bluebirds Sing" as done years ago by the Browns >>

                Jim & Jesse did a great Bluegrass version of that number. Jackie.
                **************Lose weight like TV’s Biggest Loser finalists. Start w/ a FREE
                Weight-Loss Plan!
                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220200127x1201334384/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213622551%3B35099622%3Bc)