RE: [nwbluegrass] Re: Message to KBOO: Love and Kisses!

  • pdidmh1
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
      They also play Grateful Dead man. How cool is that!!!!

    • geetardave
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
        Bill wrote: whining bluegrassers with diaper rash...

        You really should think about what you are typing before you hit send
        sometimes. You are not ALWAYS right and people are entitled to their
        opinion. Putting someone down because they don't agree with you makes
        you appear small and petty. We're done.
      • Kathy Boyd & Phoenix Rising
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
          KBOO actually has a place for discussion on their programming, and
          according the the newsletter I got yesterday are looking at several
          changes.

          http://kboo.fm/node/43

          I believe they also have a public forum one Tuesday per month regarding
          programming, but I couldn't find the exact information (it was in the
          newsletter, but that's on a different computer).

          I know a high percentage of us are KBOO members, so if someone has the
          latest KBOO newsletter handy and wants to post the information about
          the programming forum that might be helpful to the folks who would like
          to have an opinion.

          Kathy B
          Tualatin, OR
        • jpf1940
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "geetardave" <david@...> wrote:
            > Bill wrote: whining bluegrassers with diaper rash...
            > You really should think about what you are typing before you hit send
            > sometimes. You are not ALWAYS right and people are entitled to their
            > opinion. Putting someone down because they don't agree with you makes
            > you appear small and petty. We're done.

            Bill may not always be right, but he is dead right on this issue.
            Bluegrassers are a small, (very small) percentage of the total music listening public.
            I would suggest that we are also a small percentage of KBOO's listenership.

            Just for the heck of it, go to Google and search the name of ANY bluegrass artist.

            i.e. Results 1 - 10 of about 395,000 for Del McCoury.

            Now look up some other artists/styles ...

            Results 1 - 10 of about 7,110,000 for tim mcgraw.
            Results 1 - 10 of about 2,560,000 for benny goodman
            Results 1 - 10 of about 6,210,000 for duke ellington.
            Results 1 - 10 of about 688,000 for mormon Tabernacle choir
            Results 1 - 10 of about 2,950,000 for richie haven.
            Results 1 - 10 of about 85,500,000 for michael jackson
            Results 1 - 10 of about 2,060,000 for jug bands

            Sorry, There just ain't a he** of a lot of interest or support for B-Grass in the main stream
            world

            OBA has a membership of what? 400 people ?
            CBA perhaps 2500

            Lets be glad we get what we got. Most folks that don't get what they deserve ought to be
            "dang glad of it".

            This is not intended to be a scientific study just a think piece. Got anyone out there wants
            to do more than "blow off steam"?

            Peace and love ......... Jean
          • pdidmh1
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
              Yonder Mountain String band gets 436,000 hits on Google.

              Bill Martin gets 14,600,000 hits. Who knew he was that popular.

              Dave

            • Kathy Boyd & Phoenix Rising
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                Jean wrote:

                i.e. Results 1 - 10 of about 395,000 for Del McCoury

                Hmmm. . . . where are you Jean? (Each country has it's own form of
                Google) I thought this number a bit low as I get 455,000 just for my
                name with the word bluegrass behind it. . . . and I'm no Del
                McCoury! So I went to Google and put in Del's name and got this:

                Results 1 - 10 of about 5,060,000 for del mccoury

                That got me curious so I looked up a few more:

                about 4,190,000 for alison krauss
                about 5,630,000 for tony rice
                about 4,970,000 for emmylou harris
                about 7,030,000 for jerry douglas
                about 1,250,000 for bill monroe
                about 5,150,000 for tim o'brien
                about 1,570,000 for world wide bluegrass (the internets #1 online
                radio station)

                Of course, web presence has to do with cookies and spiders and web
                presence and how computer literate your marketing person is. Google
                hits are different than the number of people who are actually looking
                at your stuff.

                However, this list next to your list of country artists looks at
                least a bit better! There really are a lot of bluegrass fans out
                there!

                . . . . . . I have W-A-Y too much time on my hands today. . . . .

                Kathy B
                Tualatin, OR
              • jpf1940
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                  Like I said ... This is not intended to be scientific but you folks are deluding yourselves if
                  you believe bluegrass has any more than a 5% market share. Again, I pulled that figure out
                  of the air also.

                  > Hmmm. . . . where are you Jean?

                  Right here in oregon.

                  >(Each country has it's own form of
                  > Google) I thought this number a bit low as I get 455,000 just for my
                  > name with the word bluegrass behind it. . . . and I'm no Del
                  > McCoury! So I went to Google and put in Del's name and got this:
                  > Results 1 - 10 of about 5,060,000 for del mccoury....................snip
                  > Of course, web presence has to do with cookies and spiders and web
                  > presence and how computer literate your marketing person is. Google
                  > hits are different than the number of people who are actually looking
                  > at your stuff.

                  I can't debate your results nor can you mine because we have not specified our
                  methodologies.

                  > However, this list next to your list of country artists looks at
                  > least a bit better! There really are a lot of bluegrass fans out
                  > there!

                  I can debate this ....country artists???

                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 7,110,000 for tim mcgraw.
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 2,560,000 for benny goodman
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 6,210,000 for duke ellington.
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 688,000 for mormon Tabernacle choir
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 2,950,000 for richie haven.
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 85,500,000 for michael jackson
                  >Results 1 - 10 of about 2,060,000 for jug bands

                  I only see One and I would debate if even he is a "country artist" to me he looks like a
                  redneck who needs a bath and a shave (grin,smile,just kidding don't shoot me)

                  > . . . . . . I have W-A-Y too much time on my hands today. . . . .
                  > Kathy B
                  > Tualatin, OR

                  WE do have that in common TOO MUCH TIME
                  .......................................................................I come in peace Jean
                • jpf1940
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                    From .... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_n7_v18/ai_18440633

                    Adults who buy bluegrass music are a small share of all music purchasers, at 2.4 percent.
                    Yet these 4.6 million aficionados average more than nine musical buys a year, well above the
                    U.S. average of five annual purchases, according to a new survey by Simmons Market
                    Research for the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA). The potential for bluegrass
                    is even greater. In 1992, about 30 percent of adults said they like bluegrass music.(1)

                    Jean
                  • Bill Martin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                      From: "pdidmh1" <pdidmh1@...>

                      > Bill Martin gets 14,600,000 hits. Who knew he was that popular.

                      The Authority gets 66,400,000 hits! That kicks Bill Martin's butt anyday.

                      Bill
                    • Bill Martin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                        From: "jpf1940" <jpf1940@...>

                        > In 1992, about 30 percent of adults said they like bluegrass music.(1)

                        And only 3 percent actually knew what bluegrass is.

                        Bill
                      • Bill Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                          Ken, and Dave, I truly am sorry that my intemperate use of "diaper rash"
                          insulted you. It was meant to be brilliant humor. Allow me to revise that to
                          "twisted undies". Satin undies, not the scratchy kind - only the best for
                          all you NWBluegrassers! Group hug! Come on, everyone, get your arms around
                          the monitor. Squeeze! Now back to business:

                          You guys and others in this group are among the leaders in the community by
                          default, whether or not you chose to be. As event organizers, and
                          correspondents in NWBluegrass, your opinions automatically carry weight. As
                          do mine for exactly the same reasons. I don't give a hoot if anyone one of
                          us wants to express an opinion about KBOO. Fire away. Criticize. Castigate.
                          Rant on about their lousy programming choice. I too thought the Dada thing
                          was a bust and a snore. But its hardly a responsible exercise of leadership
                          to condone or encourage people to do something destructive to KBOO like
                          witholding donations. Its cutting off our nose to spite our face.

                          I was a teenager in the early sixties who desperately wanted to hear
                          bluegrass on the radio, but there was none to be had. Nor records at the
                          music stores. You had to know somebody who knew somebody who would let you
                          come over and listen to a few cuts once in awhile. The only bluegrass we got
                          to listen to was a few seconds once a week at the start of The Beverly
                          Hillbillies. So I value KBOO without apology or qualification and I won't be
                          quiet about any effort to hurt it.

                          However, out of pity for all here, I will make this last comment and then
                          hush my mouth, or try to: Send KBOO some money, and as you give it to them
                          tell them you didn't appreciate the Dada and the pre-emption. And maybe even
                          add an extra amount to the check and tell them its because you appreciate
                          their support for bluegrass. Its garaunteed that will make the point way
                          better than threatening to cut off donations.

                          The Authority