Re: [nwbluegrass] Politics...what else?

  • Jim Faddis
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2000
      -
      Subject: [nwbluegrass] Politics...what else?

      > Hey Matt,
      >
      > Which candidate do you think would be more welcoming to Bluegrass music in
      > the White House; George W. or Big Al? They both claim to be from the
      south.
      > Hey, this is what's *really* important, right?!
      >
      > Sally Jane Metts, B.S.
      > (Bluegrass Supporter)
      > <Well, I love Bluegrass and I have a supportive bra around here somewhere>
      Well, I would say Dubya because with all the murderous lyrics in
      bluegrass I don't think that Tipper would allow Al to listen to it. Just an
      opinion.
      Jim
    • Molly Bloom Bluegrass Band
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2000
        >Hey Matt,
        >
        >Which candidate do you think would be more welcoming to Bluegrass music in
        >the White House; George W. or Big Al? They both claim to be from the south.
        >Hey, this is what's *really* important, right?!
        >
        >Sally Jane Metts, B.S.
        >(Bluegrass Supporter)
        ><Well, I love Bluegrass and I have a supportive bra around here somewhere>

        Hey Sally,
        Whoever wins is going to get "picked on" a lot, so that must be a plus for
        bluegrass either way. Gore has that "Jim & Jesse" hair. GW lives in a live
        music Mecca in Austin.
        I know Dad Bush played guitar a little. Does anybody know if either of these
        guys can play anything?
        The music that really fits the election is swing/jazz. I guess that's what
        the song "Undecided" is. (First you say you and then don't/ then you say you
        will and then you won't...)
        I'll refrain from making any comments on supportive attire.
        Keep pickin'
        Matt

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Chr3music@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
          Politics and Bluegrass - I generally try to keep them separate, but as a
          Bluegrasser, a native born Texan and therefore true "Son of the South", I
          must give my 2cents- First, in Texas (and in Washington), the initial W is
          generally nick named "Dub" not "Dubya", which, in the Cowboy country I grew
          up in, would be like branding your kid with a Neon sign, saying DORK. So,
          "Dubya" ain't a real Texan or a real Southerner, consequently, I don't see
          that he has any cultural tie to Bluegrass or Swing. Now, Al was born in
          Tennessee but spent a lot of time in D.C., which, in all fairness, has been a
          Bluegrass hotspot for a while. But, in the final analysis, I fear that his
          Ivy League college days probably bleached a whole lot of the "Good ol'
          Country Boy" right out of him, possibly taking a taste for Bluegrass with it.
          To stretch this harmless speculation further, I actually, think that either
          Pat Buchannan or Ralph Nader would welcome Bluegrass to the Whitehouse sooner
          than the big 2. Pat, of course, would only want
          the Lewis Family or the Sullivans and Ralph's only stipulation would be that
          the band have a stand-up bass. He would quickly point out that Bluegrass,
          being acoustic, was actually GREEN, Electric basses, unforntunately, aren't.

          Joe, you should definately go see Misty River, though they are not a
          Bluegrass band. The acordian player, Dana, does not do any Sally Forrester
          imitations, but the harmonies are great, though a bit more folky-sweet than
          high and lonesome. When they do bluegrass tunes (which they DO), they are
          smooth with good traditional fiddle, stand-up bass and maybe some of Carol's
          fine frailing-style banjo (she is also learning to flatpick and play
          mandolin, so I expect the future will hold more Bluegrass in their sets).
          They are a very tight vocal group and have a freindly stage presence which
          has made them a favorite from the Steeple Center stage to Huckleberry's
          locally and from Wintergrass to Dollywood on the national scene. Yours from
          the Rosey-side, chick
        • Sally Metts
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
            Chick,

            You make some very interesting points! I believe you are correct, sir, about
            the Big 2 vs. Pat and Ralph. Hey, Ralph even shares his first name with a
            prominent Doctor of Bluegrass. I think you're right though, Ralph would be a
            definite acoustic snob when it comes to the bass. This makes me wonder what
            Peter thinks regarding the possible future of Bluegrass music in the White
            House. I liked the image of Big Al being "bleached" by his Ivy League
            experiences. LOL!!

            You know, even a Unitarian such as myself could enjoy a few years of
            Bluegrass Gospel in the White House. Maybe I should be more open to Pat's
            candidacy...Nah!

            Just Havin' Fun,
            Silly Sal

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Sally Metts
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
              Oh, hey, one other thing!! Chick, I, too, am a child of the south!! I was
              born and raised in Southern California!!!

              Like, howdy y'all.

              -Southern Belle Sal

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • Kathy Boyd
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
                  But didn't Al Gore invent the Stand-up bass?

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
                    Sal, Well, Shut my Mouth, I didn't know Y'all was
                    "Suh-thun"! -
                    chick
                    ps to Sal is this express deadline day?
                  • KingMutt@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 10, 2000
                      In a message dated 11/10/2000 4:38:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      mollybloombluegrass@... writes:

                      But didn't Al Gore invent the Stand-up bass?

                      Matt

                      Sheesh, get with it, man.

                      No; Gore did not invent the stand-up bass, however he did help pass
                      legislation favoring it's creation.

                      T Keys
                    • Sally Metts
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 11, 2000
                        Chick (fellow Southerner)-

                        The official deadline for the Express is Nov. 15th, so you have a few days.

                        Carol-

                        I'm Scio Sal, the Express copy editor. We've exchanged email. I go to a lot
                        of jams and I've seen you at Bluegrass at the Beach.

                        Now I've gotta go to bed! I just got home from the Scio jam and it was
                        great. We finally coaxed Clyde Clevenger out of hiding and he said he would
                        also be at Sawtooth's 35th tomorrow night (uh...tonight!) I hope to see many
                        of you there!!

                        Sally

                        http://profiles.msn.com
                      • Sally Metts
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 11, 2000
                          >But didn't Al Gore invent the Stand-up bass?
                          >
                          >Matt

                          Thank you, Matthew! Now I know I voted correctly!! What a guy!

                          Bass Clef Sal

                          http://profiles.msn.com
                        • Molly Bloom Bluegrass Band
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 11, 2000
                            > >But didn't Al Gore invent the Stand-up bass?
                            > >
                            > >Matt
                            >
                            >Thank you, Matthew! Now I know I voted correctly!! What a guy!
                            >
                            >Bass Clef Sal

                            Funny to see the words "Stand-up" so close to a politian's name...

                            Matt

                            http://profiles.msn.com