Candlewyck

  • joe ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi,
      Here's my review of Candlewyck's debut album. They just won an Independent
      Music Award for 2002's best bluegrass song (Firemen).
      Newgrass fans will especially like this project. Jeff, I see that you listed
      them as one of your influences. I'd be interested in your comments about
      this album too.
      Joe
      -------
      Candlewyck
      Votive Records VOT-2112
      http://www.votiverecords.com
      10612-D Providence Road, Box #319
      Charlotte, NC 28277

      Caution: this hot new highly-arranged newgrass album includes drums and
      various other unconventional bluegrass instruments on some cuts. The duo of
      mandolinist Chris Emerson and guitarist Ty Bennett assembled a very
      impressive all-star lineup of special guests to assist them on
      "Candlewyck," their self-titled debut album (Votive Records-2112) which
      includes twelve original songs. Any album with the likes of Don Rigsby, John
      Cowan, Terry Baucom, David Grier, Shawn Lane, Russell Moore, Kenny Smith,
      Larry Rice, Michael Faith, and Sammy Shelor is bound to be a winner, which
      "Candlewyck" most definitely is.

      From North Carolina, songwriter Ty Bennett first began writing and playing
      the age of thirteen on his mother's piano. With a degree in classical
      composition and music theory, he has always maintained a deep passion for
      performing, writing and recording all forms of music, from bluegrass to
      jazz, rock to gospel. Aside from his writing and playing in Candlewyck, Ty
      also works as an arranger, producer and instructor in Charlotte, North
      Carolina.

      Chris Emerson also provides an exciting mandolin style to the Candlewyck
      mix. With innovation and technical virtuosity, Chris turns heads with his
      personalized blend of new music. Equally adept on acoustic and electric
      mandolin, he has developed a style that blends traditional conventions with
      brand new ideas. Chris taught himself to play by studying and listening to
      David Grisman, Bill Monroe, and Matt Mundy. His affinity for many diverse
      genres of music such as jazz, classical, Celtic and rock is also very
      evident in his playing.

      A real showcase for Ty's distinctive songwriting, the album kicks off with
      the hard-driving song, "Whatcha Gonna Say," that kicks butt ala Newgrass
      Revival. John Cowan's lead vocal is tightly supplemented with harmonies from
      Russell Moore and Time Cashion. Then, "Firemen" has Don Rigsby singing about
      how a fireman's got to do it by the Book. Brad Hudson sings "Little Jasper,"
      an uptempo ballad about a little dog left behind when Atlanta burned.. "Find
      Me" features Tim Cashion on vocals and includes drums in the mix. It is also
      a showcase for David Johnson who plays fiddle, banjo and dobro on the song.
      The next Ty Bennett song to receive an all-star interpretation is Shawn
      Lane's singing of "Things I've Got to Pay," with Russell Moore and Chris
      Jones singing harmony.

      Candlewyck has a strong affinity for instrumentals, with over 50 percent of
      this debut album featuring vocal-less offerings. "Rusty," "Crooked Creek,"
      and "Wilkes County Breakdown" are hot fiddle tunes which I wished would've
      been mixed with more of the mandolin breaks and less chunking on the left
      side (which was obviously mixed strongly to provide the drum-like backbeat
      to their music). The latter tune did, in fact, include drums which, in my
      opinion, could've been toned down in favor of more of Barbara Lamb's fiddle.
      "Give Me A Minute" is a short jazzy interlude with only mandolin and guitar.
      "Mercy Percy" is a super-charged, high-voltage instrumental with a unique
      sound that includes electric mandolin, bass, drums, steel
      guitar. The jazzy "Betsy's Lullaby" retires the banjo in favor of piano,
      guitars, mandolin and percussion. Saxaphone and piano are featured to close
      the album on a jazzy note "Just So You'll Know." Well actually, a stormy
      guitar/mandolin duo surprise the casual listener with a short bonus closer.

      Chris and Ty are two young guys who are pioneers -- explorers tapping
      creative energies and youthful exuberance. They're obviously respectful of
      the bluegrass tradition, but their music pushes the envelope into Newgrass
      and Americana territory. Candlewyck creates a boiling cauldron of fresh
      sounds with elements of bluegrass, rock, jazz, folk, country and classical
      music. Their destination is a shining light on the horizon. They are
      promising new talents that we'll be hearing more about. There's a strong
      following of young folks for their kind of music.

      This album probably isn't for your typical traditional bluegrass fan. I,
      however, particularly enjoyed the varied hot ensembles that were put
      together for each highly-arranged song on this project. I liked the
      diversity found in their music, but perhaps the overall project may have
      suffered a tad bit from a slight lack of musical continuity. Nevertheless,
      Candleywyck is made up of two very talented young guys with a gift, and I
      look forward to seeing how they channel all that energy and skill into their
      next project into uncharted waters.