Thanks

  • NikkiYoung@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 22, 2000
      Hello folks, just a note to thank you all for your encouragement and
      kind words during these sad times of Ru's passing.

      I have to let you know that his spirit is very much with us. On
      stage last night, one of us forgot the words to a song he wrote...and
      he blamed Ru. There was a polite tittering in the audience..then
      Richard forgot his words (he NEVER forgets words!) and he started
      laughing and said, "That Ru!" and the audience howled, all having
      known and loved him and his forgetful ways. Jim summed it up...if
      you are forgetting your words, blame the Ghost of Ru.

      Those of you who knew this man know of his quick smile and rapid fire
      wit and that phenominal banjo style of his. What a guy. He will be
      missed.

      Thanks again. Nikki
    • Robyn & Tom Swenson
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 23, 2000
        I think the Ghost of Ru paid me a visit a couple of times today, Nikki. Or
        was it just old age?
        Thank you for giving us back the fun side of Ru.

        Robyn Swenson

        > Hello folks, just a note to thank you all for your encouragement and
        > kind words during these sad times of Ru's passing.
        >
        > I have to let you know that his spirit is very much with us. On
        > stage last night, one of us forgot the words to a song he wrote...and
        > he blamed Ru. There was a polite tittering in the audience..then
        > Richard forgot his words (he NEVER forgets words!) and he started
        > laughing and said, "That Ru!" and the audience howled, all having
        > known and loved him and his forgetful ways. Jim summed it up...if
        > you are forgetting your words, blame the Ghost of Ru.
        >
        > Those of you who knew this man know of his quick smile and rapid fire
        > wit and that phenominal banjo style of his. What a guy. He will be
        > missed.
        >
        > Thanks again. Nikki

      • Sally Metts
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 24, 2000
          Nikki,

          Yes, I have also been influenced by the trickster ghost of Ru. I even
          mentioned it last Sunday night at a jam when I went to the wrong chord on a
          song I was leading. Then I boggled the words on a song that the others were
          not familiar with. I laughed and tried to explain about the "Ru factor" but
          they didn't understand. I think I'll probably be one of those that Ru visits
          frequently, replacing my grandmother, the goofball, who has been with me
          often these last 4 years since her death at age 85. Honey (her name was
          really Helen but the nickname came with her children) loved to laugh and
          always liked to keep things fun. Oh man! If Honey and Ru worked together to
          put me in my place while performing then I will probably end up letting go
          of a big ol' fart in my audition for that big break. If and when that
          happens though, I won't be embarassed. I'll just chalk it up to my two
          favorite pranksters and laugh with them at myself.

          Remembering Ru With a Smile,
          Scio Sal

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • NikkiYoung@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 24, 2000
            Ah, yes indeedy, it is the Ghost of Ru. Not age related at all,
            folks. He is Out There enjoying your efforts and he might even mess
            with your PA equipment. And he will always give you warm fuzzies when
            you think about him.

            Yours in pickage, Nik
          • Chr3music@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 23, 2002
              Jen and Sal, There I was settled back into "Lurkdom" and you guys have to go
              saying nice things about me, well, I can't let it pass without saying that
              you two could qualify for your share, if medals should start being handed
              out. These ladies are all over the volunteer map of the OBA. Jen should get
              an award for just being married to one of those crazy Knotts., much less all
              the festival work that she does and Sal, my favorite ex- copy editor, I miss
              your private editorial comments, every Express deadline. You may be the OBA
              member who belongs to the most bands at one time, definately a prize in
              itself.
              I am glad you two use this list so much, you both make me smile a lot. Thanks
              again, chick
            • Jennifer Campbell
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 26, 2002
                At 09:12 AM 1/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                >Jen and Sal, There I was settled back into "Lurkdom" and you guys have to go
                >saying nice things about me, well, I can't let it pass without saying that
                >you two could qualify for your share, if medals should start being handed
                >out. These ladies are all over the volunteer map of the OBA. Jen should get
                >an award for just being married to one of those crazy Knotts., much less all

                Thank you, Chick...'preciate that! I read your words to Rick, and he wanted
                me to make sure I wrote back and said "well, there wouldn't be any crazy
                Knotts, if it weren't for Chick!"

                Jen
              • Chr3music@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Thanks to Ken and Joe for the Birthday wish, welcome to all of the new members, do like Ranger Doug says and get "thirty or forty of your closest friends" to join us and we may get to 500!
                  The big "Kids in Bluegrass" news is that I will be working with the Wintergrass folks to put on the first "Kid's Academy". Check the Wintergrass website. Patrice reports that there are already some youngens signed up! later, chick
                • Chr3music@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 31, 2005
                    Thanks to all of you that sent birthday wishes and other flattering comments,
                    my face is red but I do appreciate the support. Julie asked if I would be at
                    Wintergrass this year and the answer is, sadly, no. All of February, I plan to
                    be at home, with a new hip joint replacement, taking it easy and hopefully
                    picking a few tunes with whomever drops by. I have talked to Chris and Chuck
                    about doing some kid's activities at the River City Festival, but my surgery
                    preparation made me uneasy about committing to anything for this year. I will
                    continue doing PR/Booking work for Athena and the River City Boys, helping out at
                    the Gresham Little Theater Bluegrass series, doing a few festivals and writing
                    for the OBA Bluegrass Express. After this hip business is taken care of, I
                    will begin working with the "older" kids again, too! So, I may be a bit under
                    the radar for a while, but I'LL BE BACK!

                    Later, the Kidinator

                  • Ken Cartwright
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Ed, et al;
                      Thanks for the kudos about the Bluegrass Birthdays. This
                      was a project that I took on, without invitation perhaps 4
                      years ago. I have learned a lot from it and now seek the
                      need to pull back from many public eyes. I know how it feels
                      to be remembered by our "Family" of friends on our
                      birthdays. I have had many, many people come up to me at
                      festivals and outings and express their gratitude for
                      hanging in there and doing the calendar. To you all I say
                      You're welcome. I thank Kate Fox for taking the list over
                      and I hope that you will send her your birthdays so that we
                      all can celebrate your special day here at NWYahoo
                      Bluegrass.
                      I still wish to stay on the NW list and lurk. I will
                      continue to be the voice of traditional bluegrass
                      proponents. For those of you who do not know me well enough
                      to judge, let me say that my musical tastes run very wide.
                      About the only thing I don't have in my music library is
                      Rap, which in my opinion is not music, but an art form. I
                      find this list very informative and usually stimulating. I
                      have been guilty of chiming in too much but now follow the
                      "Clyde Rule" of waiting 3 days before I reply to hot button
                      subjects. On this list I have met and become friends to many
                      individuals that I might not have met. To you and to my many
                      friends who are also on this list, I say Happy New year. I
                      would also like to say thank you to Joe Ross for providing
                      this forum. Ken Cartwright;
                      President of the Oregon Bluegrass Association, for 3 more
                      months.
                    • Henry Boynton
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Here's hoping someday I get to meet Ken Cartwright!
                        > Thanks for the kudos about the Bluegrass Birthdays. This
                        > was a project that I took on, without invitation perhaps 4
                        > years ago. I have learned a lot from it and now seek the
                        > need to pull back from many public eyes. I know how it feels
                        > to be remembered by our "Family" of friends on our
                        > birthdays. I have had many, many people come up to me at
                        > festivals and outings and express their gratitude for
                        > hanging in there and doing the calendar. To you all I say
                        > You're welcome. I thank Kate Fox for taking the list over
                        > and I hope that you will send her your birthdays so that we
                        > all can celebrate your special day here at NWYahoo
                        > Bluegrass.
                        > I still wish to stay on the NW list and lurk. I will
                        > continue to be the voice of traditional bluegrass
                        > proponents. For those of you who do not know me well enough
                        > to judge, let me say that my musical tastes run very wide.
                        > About the only thing I don't have in my music library is
                        > Rap, which in my opinion is not music, but an art form. I
                        > find this list very informative and usually stimulating. I
                        > have been guilty of chiming in too much but now follow the
                        > "Clyde Rule" of waiting 3 days before I reply to hot button
                        > subjects. On this list I have met and become friends to many
                        > individuals that I might not have met. To you and to my many
                        > friends who are also on this list, I say Happy New year. I
                        > would also like to say thank you to Joe Ross for providing
                        > this forum. Ken Cartwright;
                        > President of the Oregon Bluegrass Association, for 3 more
                        > months.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • mltrking2003
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 14, 2006
                          Thanks to both who gave directions to the gospel show it is greatly
                          appreciated. I'll be there!!!!!!!!...........Mason
                        • Joe Ross
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 10, 2006
                            Hello,
                            The Country Current/IBMA discussion here has largely run its course
                            now. I'm glad to hear that the parties involved have talked and
                            analyzed how miscommunication can result in unintended (often
                            detrimental) adverse consequences. I wish them all the best of luck.

                            I appreciate everyone on Nwbluegrass who contributed to the
                            discussion in a manner that was tolerant of other people's viewpoints
                            and perspectives. Bluegrass music brings people together from many
                            walks of life, and this list represents a very large cross-section of
                            the motley bunch. Thanks for being courteous and considerate, even
                            when others disagree with you.

                            I thank you all for staying on topic (bluegrass & related music), and
                            for not trying to polarize our list members and generate conflict
                            with off-topic political idealism...or any other stuff unrelated to
                            bluegrass.

                            I appreciate those of you who do not re-post long original messages
                            with your replies. It seems to work best to cut/paste a few sentences
                            (the "key point" you're responding to) from original messages in
                            order to "preserve the thread," esp. if a few days have gone by.

                            Thanks for responding privately off-list to another list member when
                            your note only pertains to them. When you send a comment to
                            Nwbluegrass, please remember that it goes to as many as 946 other
                            people.

                            I welcome our 50 or so new list members who have signed on in the
                            past few weeks. If you haven't already done so, I invite you to jump
                            in and post an intro and hello.

                            Best wishes to y'all,
                            Joe
                          • Billie
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 26, 2007
                              Would that THE Buzz Martin? The singing Logger?

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 21, 2007
                                I had several responses to my request for help finding lyrics to "The Rocket." Thanks to everyone who responded.

                                WOODY

                              • pearsun806
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 8, 2007
                                  I'd like to thank Kathy Boyd, and Girls can jam for the CD's to add to the radio station here in
                                  Stayton. Currently I have 4600 songs in the computer library. Talk about rotation!. If you
                                  would like to send your CD to us for airplay, please mail it to Radio 1620 KENC, box 889
                                  Stayton Oregon 97383..... Kenc
                                • Ken Cartwright
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 3, 2008
                                    Thanks folks for the feedback on the KENC link. Don't forget this Saturday morning at 8 AM
                                    PST, I'll rebroadcast Zach Driscoll and 3/4 time's live Saturday night fundraiser show..
                                    www.kencradio.com Bluegrass and country classics friendly radio.
                                  • Ken Cartwright
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 5, 2008
                                      Kathy Said: Ken is also a big supporter of bluegrass (and other music) that comes from the
                                      state of Oregon. It's always been interesting to me that we have so many
                                      internationally known musicians who make their home here, but because of their
                                      address they're considered "local" bands by other radio stations.
                                      If you've missed the link in all the recent posts, it's http://www.kencradio.com
                                      Check it out. You'll be smiling too! Kathy B

                                      Ken Says: Thanks Kathy... We're trying! By the way, this fall we'll be doing a bluegrass show
                                      each Saturday afternoon from noon to 3:00 PM. Clyde has volunteered to pull one of the
                                      monthly weekends and I'm looking for 3 others to fill the alternate weekends. If interested,
                                      please contact me at kenc@... ... Ken Cartwright
                                    • pearsun806
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 27, 2009
                                        A huge thank you to everyone on this list that emailed both birthday and nuptial greetings the past week.. What great week for Jan and I. Our hearts are filled with friends and love.. Ken & Jan..
                                      • Eric
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 13, 2010
                                          Just a note of thanks to this group. As a newbie to Oregon I was able, through this group, to hook up with local pickers and get into a regular jam. The internet can be a wonderful tool.

                                          Thanks to you all
                                          Eric
                                        • Marv Sobolesky
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 13, 2010
                                            Your sure welcome, Eric.

                                            See you at one of the festivals in the area J

                                            Marv Sobolesky

                                            www.marvsmusic.com

                                            Just a note of thanks to this group. As a newbie to Oregon I was able,
                                            through this group, to hook up with local pickers and get into a regular
                                            jam. The internet can be a wonderful tool.

                                            Thanks to you all
                                            Eric

                                          • Joe
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 13, 2010
                                              What nice feedback about this nwbluegrass group, Eric! We can only hope that the 56,000 messages posted here during the last decade have been helpful to a majority of the folks. ;-) I look forward to seeing and jamming with you again in Green/Winston on this coming Sunday. I'll pass along the info to my friend with his new banjo (currently working on "Skip to my Lou"), but I doubt he'll want to attend and jam quite yet.
                                              Joe

                                              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <zyegor@...> wrote:

                                              > Just a note of thanks to this group. As a newbie to Oregon I was able, through this group, to hook up with local pickers and get into a regular jam. The internet can be a wonderful tool.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks to you all
                                              > Eric

                                            • kencradio
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 27, 2010
                                                I'd like to thank everyone for the Birthday wishes yesterday.. I've never had that many birthday wishes in my life. It was a very special day for me ... thank you, Kenc
                                              • eddard
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 27, 2010
                                                  Ken, I've got a friend up in the San Juan Islands who'd on a serious quest for a
                                                  Gibson A-model mandolin.  Do you have one?
                                                   http://www.eddard.com

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 27, 2010
                                                    My bad.  This was supposed to be off-list, and I'm on a computer I barely know.
                                                    No harm done, but this query will also be sent off-list, and should be answered
                                                    that way.
                                                     http://www.eddard.com

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 27, 2010
                                                      eddard <eddardh@...> wrote:
                                                      Ken, I've got a friend up in the San Juan Islands who'd on a serious quest for a
                                                      Gibson A-model mandolin.  Do you have one? Eddard

                                                      Ken replies: Well I have got a Ford model A that my dad gave me but that's not for sale. You know my dad, Clyde? He bought it new.. in... well that was before my time. Kenc
                                                    • kencradio
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 21, 2010
                                                        A heartfelt thank you to all the groups that asked to play at the Tornado benefit in Aumsville on the 15th. We had so many groups want to play that paring it down was no easy task. We chose the groups that are either from the immediate area around Aumsville or had personal connections there. It was a terrible decision to have to cut 10 bands from the lineup.. I assure you that all the groups that wanted to come but can't will be honored and mentioned at the concert.. You are very much appreciated for stepping up and volunteering... your gesture will not go unnoticed..

                                                        I hope that you will come to the show, and be a part of the fundraising effort.. Speaking for all the folks in that area that were affected and need the help, they thank you too.. Thank you all. Ken Cartwright
                                                      • kencradio
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 14, 2011
                                                          Thanks to all who called, emailed and left suggestions on Facebook for our Valentine Day's show.. What fun.. Kenc