RE: [nwbluegrass] Bad news for music lovers

  • Stewart Beach
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 2, 2008
      hmmm, doesnt anyone use CD Baby?

      Mark Gensman <GZsound@...> wrote:
      I find these discussions very interesting. It seems that most folks feel they have the "right" to play, copy, distribute, etc. any music they want and all the attempts by anyone to stop them is wrong.

      I don't know.. One of my older bands had a regional hit record released. Supposedly it sold over 60,000 copies. We, the band members, never made a dime and were told all the money went to distribution.

      The up side to that is the fact it didn't cost us any money at all to make the record. All the costs were covered by our management. We made a ton of money from the exposure, from the bigger paychecks for performing, etc.

      I saw a Biography special on Sheryl Crow the other day. Her label put up over $400,000 for her to make her first album, which never was released.

      Getting rid of the label would mean nobody would ever hear of Sheryl Crow.

      The label frequently fronts the money for the recordings and I think that in that case, they have the right to get their money back BEFORE the artist get's theirs. After all, the artist gets the exposure, the live performance money, and a portion of the CD sales.

      But.... regardless of big label or not, someone has to pay for the band to get their music recorded and distributed. Whoever does that, artist, label, uncle Ralph..etc. deserves to be able to be repaid.

      If you borrow money from a bank to start a business, does the bank have the right to insist on being paid back?

      ________________________________

      To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      From: boxcar_preachers@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 06:06:55 -0800
      Subject: Re: [nwbluegrass] Bad news for music lovers

      I was thinking that the artists downloaded should be contacted to pitch in to cover the costs. The artists are also frustrated about how small their slice of the pie is.

      I've heard there is an entity in the works (Label Forge, I think) that will provide artists the ability to effectively be their own label. At a certain point it's all about getting visibility for your songs.

      Getting rid of the big labels will improve a band's income greatly.

      ----SNIP----
      The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console.

    • Bruce L Gardner
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2008
        WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

        Mark Gensman <GZsound@...> wrote:
        Well, you have presented a great "chicken and egg" premise. What came first, loud music or hearing loss?

        But you make a great point.. Even those with young good ears don't care much about fidelity if they only listen to high volume music with headphones.

        Just think.. In thirty years we will be a nation of overweight deaf people who have to scream at each other to be heard...!

        I can hardly wait...