Bad news for music lovers

  • Bill Martin
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 1, 2008
      Here is an article you all should go and read:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html
      It contains disturbing info on the copyright issue. On the one hand, the
      Recording Industry Association of America has sued and won a judgement against a
      girl who shared 24 tunes online and was fined $9200 per tune, like she was some
      kind of mafia don. On the other hand, a survey concluded that 69% of teenagers
      think its legal to copy a CD and give it to a friend. They don't think that's
      dishonest? Good grief.

      But lest we get too preachy about stealing form starving artists, take a look at
      how the cash from the average $19 CD is parceled out:

      Artist $1.31 6.6%
      Producer 0.44 2.2%
      Songwriter 0.69 3.4%
      Distributor 4.39 22.0%
      Manufacturer 1.00 5.0%
      Retailer 5.95 29.8%
      Record Label 6.17 30.9%

      So very little of the profit goes to the creative people who do most of the
      work. The money goes to the businesses that are represented by the draconian
      RIAA. The RIAA doesn't go around the country intimidating girls in order to help
      out the suffering artists. No, they are a shakedown crew for an industry that
      thinks they can own artists. The musicians are way ahead of the industry because
      they are embracing the internet rather than fighting it. A lot of bands are
      selling their own recordings themselves, online as mp3s or CDs. But I think the
      industry is going to bull ahead, beating up on people in an effort to turn back
      the clock.

      Bill
    • Bruce L Gardner
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 3, 2008
        WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

        Mark Gensman <GZsound@...> wrote:
        Well, you have presented a great "chicken and egg" premise. What came first, loud music or hearing loss?

        But you make a great point.. Even those with young good ears don't care much about fidelity if they only listen to high volume music with headphones.

        Just think.. In thirty years we will be a nation of overweight deaf people who have to scream at each other to be heard...!

        I can hardly wait...