Top 20

  • joe ross
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
      Mornin',
      Ryan, welcome to our grasslist. We look forward to hearing more about your
      festival on June 28-30.

      Bill, I'll get your old-time festival included into our best guess festival
      2002 list. Sorry I missed it.

      Alan, you mean to tell me that you don't have those Beatles albums? So what
      are your favorite bluegrass albums? I don't suppose it will include Flatt
      and Scruggs' 1968 album with five Bob Dylan tunes. I guess they were sort of
      forced into that one by all-knowing record company executives. Earl's
      playing on "Blowing in the Wind" has been described as less than
      enthusiastic. F&S broke up a year or two later after that one was released.

      I would like to use this forum to gather everyone's nominations for the Top
      Bluegrass Albums of All Time. Please submit your list of 5 or 10....or 15 or
      20. Please don't include the multi-album compilation collections, but a
      2-LP project would qualify if it was originally released that way.

      After all nominations are in, we could actually do a very unscientific poll
      of our list members to come up with our group's consensus of TOP TWENTY
      Greatest. Thank goodness we live in a democracy.

      Have a great week everyone.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
        In a message dated 11/26/01 8:51:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, rossjoe@... writes:

        After all nominations are in, we could actually do a very unscientific poll
        of our list members to come up with our group's consensus of TOP TWENTY
        Greatest. Thank goodness we live in a democracy.

        Oh, this is so exciting!  Thanks!

        Cathy Baylor (a newbie)
      • Lynn Oliver
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
          Message
          I'll throw a few nominations into the ring:

          J.D. Crowe and the New South (Round CD0044, "Old Home Place")
          Johnson Mountain Boys Blue Diamond Mine
          IIIrd Tyme Out Live at the MAC
          Flatt and Scruggs At Carnegie Hall!

          Lynn
          Ryegrass

        • ElzKrss@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
          • darryl mondrow
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 2001
              I'd like to nominate some of my favorites:

              Dillards -- Back Porch Bluegrass
              Del McCoury & the Dixie Pals -- High On a Mountain
              Old & In the Way -- original 10 tracks (not the later released tracks
              archived by Dave Grisman from the same set of recordings)
              Greenbriar Boys -- Ragged But Right
              Country Gazette -- Don't Give Up Your Day Job
              Seldom Scene -- Act Three
              Jim & Jesse -- Epic Bluegrass
              Don Stover -- Things in Life
              Bill Monroe -- Bluegrass Instrumentals (with Bill Keith)

              The Stanley Brothers and Reno & Smiley should be in this list, but I
              don't have one particular album for each that I can separate from the
              rest.

              Darryl

            • FibnacciFm@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2001
                The Country Gentlemen album: Bluegrass at Carnegie Hall