Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: OBA

  • schottled@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 30, 2007
      MASON...

      I would be willing to volunteer for the Salem Gospel Show...

      Let me know what I can do..

      Gary

      From: "mltrking2003" <mltrking2003@...>
      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, philptcu@... wrote:

      > I've been thinking for the past few days about the OBA and the
      gospel shows,
      > and the annual meeting.
      > Saw something about a couple gospel shows, but nary a word about the
      annual
      > meeting. Anyone have
      > an inkling about when it is scheduled? I'd love to get it on my
      calendar.

      The Portland Gospel show will be on Jan. 19th starting at 7:00pm
      sharp and will be at the same church as last year, Central Bible Church
      88th and Glisan st.I believe tickets will only be avalable at the door
      this year. I will try to keep you all updated, on all the OBA gospel
      shows, as I get the info........Thanks

    • Ken Cartwright
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 3, 2008
        Nobody knows more than I and a few others who have dedicated their lives to the
        perpetuation of Bluegrass Music, what a thankless at times, job being on the board of the
        OBA can be... It really is easy to take shots at anyone who sits on this board from those who
        don't volunteer, and habitually don't contribute to "The Cause." I too join the board in
        challenging those stone throwers to get on board and do something positive for the cause...
        To those of you on the board and to all the past board members, you have my heartfelt
        thank you... I will see you all the annual OBA membership meeting this year, and if the OBA
        needs some help at River City this year, manning the table... I'm ready to help. Ken Cartwright
      • Chip Russell
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 3, 2008
          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@...> wrote:

          > Nobody knows more than I and a few others who have dedicated their
          lives to the
          > perpetuation of Bluegrass Music, what a thankless at times, job
          being on the board of the
          > OBA can be... It really is easy to take shots at anyone who sits on
          this board from those who
          > don't volunteer, and habitually don't contribute to "The Cause." I
          too join the board in
          > challenging those stone throwers to get on board and do something
          positive for the cause...
          > To those of you on the board and to all the past board members, you
          have my heartfelt
          > thank you... I will see you all the annual OBA membership meeting
          this year, and if the OBA
          > needs some help at River City this year, manning the table... I'm
          ready to help. Ken Cartwright

          The OBA will indeed have a table at River City. We will be situated
          right outside the doors to the main room (right next to a table for
          KBOO!!), so please come by and say howdy. We will be set up to help
          you renew your OBA memberships, and to sign new members up. If you
          can give a little time to help out at the OBA table at some point
          over the weekend (a half an hour or an hour would be most helpful),
          we will have signup sheets, allowing you to pick a time that would be
          best for you (we may have to shut it down for Del). We will also have
          info about the upcoming Portland Gospel Show.

          But, most of all, we would love to see the smiling faces of OBA
          members. So please come by and say hello.

          Chip Russell
          Secretary, OBA
        • kencradio
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 13 12:29 PM
            I haven't heard any reports about the OBA annaual membership meeting and lunch.. Is there anything new to report? Did anyone go? What's up? Kenc
          • pdidmh1
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 13 1:59 PM
              Hi Ken

              Not much new to report. You were mentioned in the annual report and thanks
              were given for the Gospel show you put on. Again, thanks. It was mostly
              uneventful. We had a positive cash flow at the end of the year and that was
              very cool. A lot of credit needs to be given to the people who are working
              on the Express. Colby , Chris, Clare and Kathy have done a great job. We got
              some new board members at large.The meeting was small but once the meeting
              was done everyone seemed to be having a fine time jamming.

              Dave

              _____

              I haven't heard any reports about the OBA annaual membership meeting and
              lunch.. Is there anything new to report? Did anyone go? What's up? Kenc

              23:32:00

            • the_chubby_kiid
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 13 4:00 PM
                Ah excuse me but theres not to be any OBA related bizness discussed here and you know it. As per the OBA King Chippy :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 13 6:17 PM
                  , "kencradio" <kenc@> wrote:
                  I haven't heard any reports about the OBA annaual membership meeting and lunch.. Is there anything new to report? Did anyone go? What's up? Kenc

                  Ken says: Oh! Never mind..
                • kencradio
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 13 6:29 PM
                    "pdidmh1" <pdidmh1@...> wrote:
                    Hi Ken
                    Not much new to report. You were mentioned in the annual report and thanks
                    were given for the Gospel show you put on. Again, thanks. It was mostly
                    uneventful. We had a positive cash flow at the end of the year and that was
                    very cool. A lot of credit needs to be given to the people who are working
                    on the Express. Colby , Chris, Clare and Kathy have done a great job. We got
                    some new board members at large.The meeting was small but once the meeting
                    was done everyone seemed to be having a fine time jamming. Dave

                    Ken says: Thanks Dave. Jan and I have been sick and dealing with a death in the family, so felt that staying home would be the right thing to do... Kenc
                  • Bill Martin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 13 9:17 PM
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 14 12:09 AM
                        I went, I ate, I picked, I joined.  Had a great time.

                        Sorry you weren't there, hope you're feeling better.

                        Shari Dolan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 14 12:42 AM
                          Last year I attended for the first time - I wasn't even a member! During
                          the meeting somebody said Lisa Remmer was 'going out' and asked if anybody
                          was interested, so, yeah, I raised my hand. I'd go if nobody else would.
                          Then I discovered that's not what they had in mind, and I was shanghaied
                          into being the new membership director on the board. Oh well, make the best
                          of it.

                          This year they gave me lots of praise for my work as membership director,
                          then admitted that it was the lowest turnout they'd ever seen. Story of my
                          life; during the time I've worked in fish research the Grande Ronde Spring
                          Chinook Salmon have gone from Threatened to Endangered. Maybe I should just
                          lay low for a while. :-)

                          Maybe the minutes of the meeting will be posted on oregonbluegrass list or
                          on the OBA website, I don't know, but here it is in a nutshell. There are
                          many good ideas, and many things that some folks want to do for bluegrass in
                          Oregon, but the folks on the board are working at full capacity! It is
                          extremely difficult to get people to go to the meeting (maybe 40 to 50),
                          volunteer for OBA efforts, etc. Not enough can be said in praise of folks
                          who put on Gospel shows, put in hours of work to publish the best bluegrass
                          newsletter on the west coast (the Bluegrass Express), tend the OBA table at
                          festivals, and all these jobs. But the membership is stagnant at around 330
                          current members, and the core group which helps put all of it together is
                          very small and always in danger of burnout.

                          Last year, the one item that all in attendance agreed was tops on the list
                          of to-do items was to keep the OBA Picker's Festival going and make it work.
                          But that summer only a dozen or so folks showed up at Horning's Hideout. It
                          was great fun, but can't be called a smashing success. The OBA also fosters
                          local jams, some folks want to establish a 'mentors' program to encourage
                          newcomers, there are historic Oregon Bluegrass videos available to digitize
                          and publish. The list of projects goes on and on, but the list of members
                          and volunteers grows thin.

                          If you want it to work, join the OBA, volunteer at least on the projects you
                          like, support the others. Otherwise, let it go on by and no worries. But I
                          hope you read the really cool article in this issue of the Express on
                          legendary Ron Emmons of the Muddy Bottom Boys, and a fascinating banjo tab
                          showing how to do double-stops like a fiddle on the banjo, and some.

                          That's my take on it,

                          Matt

                          Zen OBA Membership Magnate

                          _____

                          From: kencradio

                          I haven't heard any reports about the OBA annaual membership meeting and
                          lunch.. Is there anything new to report? Did anyone go? What's up? Kenc

                        • Rod Leap
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 14 8:20 AM
                            Matt
                            Is there an online copy of the Bluegrass Express .....???
                            Rod

                            _____

                            From: kencradio

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 14 8:37 AM
                              Rod:

                              Short answer: no.

                              Some of the recent articles are online, and the current idea is to have some
                              additional media such as audio files or tabs to supplement the standard
                              articles. There is also the option of receiving the Express as an email
                              attachment rather than the hardcopy through the USPS mail. I don't think
                              the intent is to place each complete issue online. I could be wrong, but
                              that's how I understand the current program.

                              Matt

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 14 9:43 AM
                                Ok...!! Thanks Matt......!!!
                                Would like to get the Express that banjo article you mentioned caught my eye
                                for a friend...!!!
                                Rod
                                rod@...

                                _____

                                From: nwbluegrass@ <mailto:nwbluegrass%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 14 10:49 AM
                                  That article, along with the tab and a MIDI file, will be online at
                                  www.oregonbluegrass.org <http://www.oregonbluegrass.org/> about the time
                                  the next Express hits the street - around May 1st. You've picked with that
                                  green-dobro guy, so it's the same-ol same-ol you've heard before! It just
                                  looks more official in print. :-)

                                  Matt

                                  _____

                                  From: Rod Leap

                                  Ok...!! Thanks Matt......!!!
                                  Would like to get the Express that banjo article you mentioned caught my eye
                                  for a friend...!!!
                                  Rod
                                  rod@... <mailto:rod%40rleap.com>

                                • ahstocek
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 14 11:32 AM
                                    > then admitted that it was the lowest turnout they'd ever seen. Story of my
                                    > life; during the time I've worked in fish research the Grande Ronde Spring
                                    > Chinook Salmon have gone from Threatened to Endangered. Maybe I should just
                                    > lay low for a while. :-)

                                    I joined the OBA online several months ago. I paid via paypal and the money was deducted from my account. I then heard nothing from the OBA I never received the Express or any confirmation that I was a member. I wrote to the e-mail address given on the membership webpage and still heard nothing. So you have one additional member or someone who would like to be a member.

                                    I think there needs to be some incentive for membership. Some acknowledgment that a person is a member. I think the OBA is an important organization and at some point in my future I would like to become more involved but it's a little aggravating that the online membership has not worked very well. This may be the wrong forum to bring this up but since it is on the board I did.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Aaron Stocek
                                  • Matthew Snook
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 14 11:41 AM
                                      Aaron:

                                      Sorry for the mixup. I do eventually get things sorted out. Send me a
                                      pmail with your info and we'll get you in there. I just searched my laptop
                                      and the only record of Stocek is this email itself. You were lost in
                                      cyberspace somewhere. :-(

                                      Matt

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 14 12:22 PM
                                        Matt
                                        If I join up I want some Decals for my VW and a flashy new plastic
                                        membership card... and some freebies.....!!!!
                                        And do you have a senior discount...!!! And a prorated refund to my heirs if
                                        I die before my year is up....????
                                        I am ready to join for sure...!!! But I don't want to wait like Aaron....
                                        LOL
                                        Rod

                                        _____

                                        From: nwbluegrass@ <mailto:nwbluegrass%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 14 12:30 PM
                                          No worries Matt, thanks for getting back to me. I will send you an e-mail.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          Aaron

                                          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Snook" <matt@...> wrote:

                                          > Aaron:
                                          >

                                          > Sorry for the mixup. I do eventually get things sorted out. Send me a
                                          > pmail with your info and we'll get you in there. I just searched my laptop
                                          > and the only record of Stocek is this email itself. You were lost in
                                          > cyberspace somewhere. :-(
                                          >

                                          > Matt

                                        • Colby Buswell
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 14 7:56 PM
                                            I'm very interested in what you are trying to accomplish with this post?

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Colby

                                            Ah excuse me but theres not to be any OBA related bizness discussed here and you know it. As per the OBA King Chippy :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

                                            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "kencradio" <kenc@...> wrote:

                                            > I haven't heard any reports about the OBA annaual membership meeting and lunch.. Is there anything new to report? Did anyone go? What's up? Kenc

                                            Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post |

                                          • the_chubby_kiid
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 15 6:59 AM
                                              Oh relax Colby it was all in Jest. Geezzzzzzzz, If it wasn't it would have been much more clear. :)

                                              Jimw

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 15 11:29 AM