Bluegrass Guitar Strings?

  • cjfriedman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
      What Guitar Strings do you recommend? I want to buy several sets to keep in my gig bag for
      "just-in-case" one breaks. And it always happen just before or while everyone is looking at
      you. Right?

      Well, I thought I'd ask the pro's, what do you recommend? Brand, size, type, that sort of
      thing. Also tell us why you think they are better than others for bluegrass playing. Thanks
    • Marv Sobolesky
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
        My favorite string of all time is the Elixier Phos Bronze Nanoweb
        Strings. I prefer the Med Lights on my Rockbridge Guitar.

        http://www.marvsmusic.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=28

        Its a toss up between the most popular strings and that being D'Addario
        EJ17 Phos Bronze:

        http://www.marvsmusic.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=34

        and the John Pearse 700m Mediums Strings

        http://www.marvsmusic.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=36

        So many decisions to make. I have found that there is on one brand of
        strings that works on every guitar. Each is unique.

        Hope that helps and not confuses even more:)

        Marv Sobolesky
        www.marvsmusic.com

      • jake@crescentbeachguitar.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
          Hmmm. My bright hot-rodded '67 D-18 & my fairly dry hands love
          D'Arco Medium Brass Bronze Strings. I love the sound & the tension is
          perfect for my playing style. The softer brass windings are easy on
          frets. They're relatively cheap too. :)

          My customers who want/need the harder sound of Phosphor Bronze seem
          to like the new D'Addario EXP-17 coated strings. They are basically J-17
          strings with a very thin barrier coating like the EXP-74 & EXP-75
          mandolin strings. Not quite as crunchy when first installed, they keep
          their sound for a long, long time. For those who have moist or acidic
          hands they are great strings.

          I use them on the instruments that I loan customers when I'm
          working on theirs so I don't have to worry about string-killing fingers.
          They'd be perfect in a showroom too.

          I still have to stock a ton of different guitar strings, but these
          two are the most popular.

          Good picking, Jake

          Crescent Beach Guitar
          Setup & Repair for all Stringed Instruments
          Santa Cruz Guitar Authorized Warranty Repair Centre
          Dealer for Upton Bass & Revolution Solo II Bass Pickups
          www.crescentbeachguitar.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
            I use Martin acoustic strings, medium. They come in a blue and black
            package. I've pretty much tried all the strings and Martins are the
            only ones I don't break. Plus they make my Gallagher and my Martin
            sound rich, bright and full. I find they bring out the quality and tone
            of the instrument. They also stay in tune better once they are
            stretched out. I change them about every month or so. If we are gigging
            a lot I will change them weekly. I don't really like the "brand new"
            sound when I first put any strings on and I also don't like the "they
            are ready to be changed" dead string sound. Nothing beats that "broken
            in right" tone. I've used d'adarrio and elixer and find that they are
            really easy to break, plus they cost more.
            Just my opinion.

            David
            (GeetarDave)

            You wrote:

            > What Guitar Strings do you recommend? I want to buy several sets to
            keep in my gig bag for
            > "just-in-case" one breaks. And it always happen just before or
            while everyone is looking at
            > you. Right?
            >
            > Well, I thought I'd ask the pro's, what do you recommend? Brand,
            size, type, that sort of
            > thing. Also tell us why you think they are better than others for
            bluegrass playing. Thanks

          • Tom O'Connor
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
              My first choice is D'Addario EXP17 Coated Phosphor Bronze Medium.
              They sound great, seem to stay alive a long time, and it is extremely
              rare that I break one. My second (and former first) choice is Elixir
              Nanoweb medium. They, too, sound good and last a long time. But I
              found that I would routinely break a string as they got near the end
              of their useful life. And I think the EXPs are a tad brighter overall.

              I guess the drawback is price, they list at $23.99 but you can usually
              find them for under $10. I think the higher price is worth it for the
              sound, and the longer life. Changing strings is not something I
              really enjoy...

              My .02 and unlurking day post.

              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "cjfriedman" <cjfriedman@...> wrote:

              > What Guitar Strings do you recommend? I want to buy several sets to
              keep in my gig bag for
              > "just-in-case" one breaks.
            • Greg
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2007
                I've always been happy with D'adderio med phosphor bronze medium for my
                D 18. Great sound and reasonably long lasting.

                Greg

                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "cjfriedman" <cjfriedman@...> wrote:

                > What Guitar Strings do you recommend? I want to buy several sets to
                keep in my gig bag for
                > "just-in-case" one breaks. And it always happen just before or
                while everyone is looking at
                > you. Right?
                >
                > Well, I thought I'd ask the pro's, what do you recommend? Brand,
                size, type, that sort of
                > thing. Also tell us why you think they are better than others for
                bluegrass playing. Thanks

              • Ken Cartwright
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2007
                  I've tried everything on the market and I have yet to find a better set of strings for me than
                  the John Pearse Medium Phosphor Bronze... They last and they don't break early as D'Addario
                  and Martins do. Kenc