Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to nwbluegrass. Visit today!

  • pcasey38@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      Speaking of the current state of Country music I think it was P.T. Barnum
      that said........You can never go broke underestimating the taste of the
      American public.

    • Joe Ross
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, pcasey38@... wrote:

        > Speaking of the current state of Country music I think it was P.T.
        Barnum
        > that said........You can never go broke underestimating the taste
        of the
        > American public.

        Hello,
        Welcome to this nwbg list, Sue! I remember when Flatt & Scruggs or
        Reno & Smiley were considered "country." I still love to listen to
        old classic country music from the 1930-50s. Can hardly go wrong with
        old songs sung by Hank, Ernest, Patsy, Eddy, Gene, Johnny, Red,
        Lefty, Woody, Johnny, George, Webb, Charley, Tex, Porter, or Faron.
        There was a time in the 60s when the fiddle was not vogue with either
        country and bluegrass bands. Too "hillbilly" said the record execs.
        But it seems like the Dobro really took off about that time. I'm real
        happy to see the mandolin being used by some country bands today. I
        guess that I like some of the acoustic country, alt-country,
        insurgent country, Texas outlaw country, etc. being performed today.
        seeya
        Joe
      • Dale Wagner
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
          Well Mark, I was referring to it different. You start getting paid to do
          music and when offered more money to do something that isn't what you really
          are, you do it anyway . Just like we honor all requests written on twentys.
          Dale
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
            Dale,
            I understand. However, as one who could be considered a "sell out" musician,
            I don't consider myself "corrupt" just because I have managed to find a
            market that actually compensates me for my ability and I work hard to cater
            to it.

            I have spent thousands of hours playing "my" music which might make me feel
            better, but sure didn't pay any bills. Playing music the public is willing
            to pay for has allowed me to do the music I want to do the rest of the
            time..

            How about folks like Dolly Parton who use their "sell out" success to allow
            them to do what they truly love, which in her case, appears to be bluegrass?
            Does that make her corrupt?

            You also seem to forget that many popular musicians actually ARE doing the
            music they love...even though you consider it crap or selling out. Calling
            modern country musicians corrupt because you don't like the music is a
            little rude. They look like they are having a great time and enjoying the
            fruits of their labors to me...

            I never begrudge musicians any success they can achieve. Calling them
            corrupt because they do popular music and get paid for it is rather unfair.
            I don't know ANY bluegrass band who wouldn't play "Dueling Banjo's" if I
            handed them a thousand dollar bill to do it. That makes them corrupt?

            Sorry...

            >From: "Dale Wagner" <dwagner@...>
            ---SNIP--->
            >Well Mark, I was referring to it different. You start getting paid to do
            >music and when offered more money to do something that isn't what you
            >really
            >are, you do it anyway . Just like we honor all requests written on
            >twentys.
            >Dale
            ---SNIP---

          • philptcu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
              Kate Smith made famous a song entitled "White Christmas"....
              John Philip Sousa made famous a piece entitled "Stars and Stripes Forever"....
              Stephen Collins Foster wrote a song entitled "Old Black Joe"
              (and many others, by the way).
              I love all of those three pieces of music, but none of them are bluegrass.
              Does that make me corrupt? I think not. Phil

            • boB
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                Hi!

                I'm new. Have not yet introduced myself. I will in a later post. It
                seems there is a little fad going on in music circles where the
                ability to play what people like and will pay for is scorned. I think
                it is a result of jealousy. There is hardly a public school in the
                whole country that actually teaches a person enough about music and
                making it that they could make a living playing. At the same time
                there has been a steady increase in the number of instruments sold
                nationwide. Also, radio and tv highlight certain noise music and
                computer generated pap (but pap people buy). Garage players feel that
                since the radio plays only noise, and they can also make noise, then
                their noise should be renumerated too. So whatever "groove" a player
                gets comfortable with in his own garage is pretty feral and not very
                sophisticated or even musical. If they cannot get a record deal or a
                club gig, they get scornful of those who do, hence the large numbers
                of musicians who dislike the sounds people pay for. It allows a player
                to feel superior when they cannot riff. Just a thought. I do not
                intend to hurt any feelings out there.

                boB