A THANK YOU

  • Steve T Waller
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hello,
      I just wanted to thank each of you for your spirited musical
      contributions to this past weekend's Oregon Folklife Festival in
      Corvallis. There are many I can't thank personally as I do not have
      e-mail addresses (like Knotthead, Mark, and the youth contingency from
      Eugene that showed up at central Park today), so I ask you to extend the
      thanksyous around for me on behalf of the OBA as well as the SMB. The
      festival organizers had asked us to muster up some sort of bluegrass
      representation, and I think we all came thru with a good delivery.
      As bluegrass music in Oregon pretty much started in Corvallis, it was
      most heartening to see such a presence represented by such fine talent in
      this nice little city. Many "points" were scored for our music, many new
      fans gained (I received so many favorable comments from the audiences and
      innocent bystanders). The OBA was well represented with a table manned
      by David Hargraves. And his son, young Alex, wowed audiences with his
      fiddling genius. I appreciated Alex coming up on stage at the Majestic
      Theater during our set and knocking 'em dead with some fine bow work.
      The afterhours jam at the Old World Deli (long a bastion for bluegrass
      shows) last night saw a good long jam with a variety of contributions
      from dobro to maracas. Perfect weather made for good street jams and
      shows, and a fine finale at the park this afternoon with at least three
      seperate bluegrass jams going simultaneously. I even saw "dudes on
      skateboards" stopped in their tracks to watch and listen. Cool!
      Lets hope that the Corvallis downtown merchants were happy with the
      results. They were certainly kind to us. And I hope this event will
      continue with a repeat performance next year.
      Again, thanks to you all for fitting in a visit to Corvallis on this very
      busy bluegrass weekend.
      Bluegrass Rules, Drive it Home!
      Yours,
      Steve Waller