Performance contracts

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
      I'm looking for some performance contract blanks. Have been
      working on trust for awhile and it's time for the EVB to
      have some contracts. Is there anyone on this list that has
      some sample contracts that we all could share? Thanks, Ken
      Cartwright
    • Bill Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
        [This is the one I've used for years, stolen off the internet. I fill out and
        sign two copies, mail them to the customer, they sign them both and mail me back
        one copy. - Bill]

        BAND NAME
        666 W 5th Street, Satan's Home, WA 98660 . 360-XXX-XXXX

        Contract for Musical Services:

        Engagement:

        Place of Engagement:

        Hours:

        Musician/Band Name:

        Musical Instrumentation:

        Compensation:

        Please provide directions to the place of performance 14 days prior to the
        engagement.
        For musical requests, please contact us at least six weeks prior to the
        engagement.

        (signed) Band Member____________________________Date________

        (signed) Venue Manager____________________________Date_______
      • Joe Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Martin" <nkm@...> wrote:
          > [This is the one I've used for years, stolen off the internet. I fill
          out and
          > sign two copies, mail them to the customer, they sign them both and
          mail me back
          > one copy. - Bill]

          Bill/Ken,
          Good question, Ken. Chuckled at your address in that sample, Bill.
          Looks like you might have obtained that sample from here:
          http://www.alanrowoth.com/pdf/contract.pdf

          Here's a basic article with some helpful links:
          http://nyny.essortment.com/musicperformanc_rqok.htm

          I've never tried it, but here's an interesting site at lawdepot.com
          where you fill in all the blanks and then click on "view results",
          presumably a contract is prepared. Is there a charge, I wonder?
          http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/perfagree/index.php?pid=google-
          perfagree_us-main_c1&a=t

          The one I've used for decades has all that same info, as well as a
          couple other items:

          -- all the contact info (address, phone, email) for both parties
          -- who provides the PA?
          -- number of people attending, indoor vs. outdoor, availability of
          electricity
          -- I've seen some contracts specifiy the number in the band ... and how
          many breaks ( of "xx" minutes duration) will be taken
          -- check made payable to "xxxx". Payment immediately following
          completion.
          -- either party has the right to cancel with so many hrs. notice...some
          contracts require the employers to reschedule or forfeit 50% of
          payment.
          -- allowance for 1-2 extra parties to attend (sound people, roadies,
          etc.)
          -- with weddings, I recommend receiving 50% of payment up front at
          booking and the remainder 7 days before (just because I hate to hunt
          down the best man on the special day itself). For other gigs, payment
          upon completion.
          -- for weddings, I jot down notes of both individuals'names, wedding
          colors, music requested for mothers, bridal party processional, bride's
          entrance, during ceremony, recessional, etc.

          Here are samples from the Net:

          http://www.blues101.org/articles/contracts.htm
          (also addresses sound check, security, refreshments back stage, number
          of free tickets, insurance, disputes, etc.)

          http://www.musiclegalforms.com/cat-bandperform.html
          (this site sells the sample for $14.95 altho you can view some of it to
          decide whether to purchase the entire form:
          http://www.musiclegalforms.com/sam-bandperform.html

          This one's pretty basic:
          http://musicians.about.com/b/a/065388.htm

          later...... havta practice now......
          Joe
        • Ron Hillier
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
            Our band downloaded a copy of Indie Band Manager a few years ago. It allows us to track income and expenses, manage a mailing list, keep track of agents and contacts, keep notes about past and future gigs. When we book a job we enter the information and out pops a contract. http://www.indiebandmanager.com/ I think it's $39.95 for basic program. It's a rocker program but it works well for a BG band.
            I'm looking for some performance contract blanks. Have been
            working on trust for awhile and it's time for the EVB to
            have some contracts. Is there anyone on this list that has
            some sample contracts that we all could share? Thanks, Ken
            Cartwright

            Bluegrass mandolin Bluegrass guitar Bluegrass banjo

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
              Bill,
              That is certainly a good basic agreement. I doesn't cover very much and
              obviously gives the person hiring the band a lot of reasons to refuse
              payment. Plus, no deposit requirements, address and phone number of the
              person hiring the band, who can cancel, etc.

              I have a contract that I use for my band (we contract EVERY gig), that was
              created with input from contract attorney's and has withstood the test of
              multiple challenges over the years. I have a pdf file (It is way too much
              information to copy and paste here) that I would be happy to send to anyone
              that wants to see it.

              I can also create a custom version for anyone interested..your band name,
              address, etc. and send you a pdf of it.