BG in the forest

  • Cara Zemanek
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2006
      Congratulations to Greg, his son and all the others who put on a
      great festival in Shelton.
      My husband and I attended (just) the Sat. afternoon concerts at BG
      in the Forest in Shelton WA this weekend. We were there only to see
      a favorite band and to scope out the camping accommodations for next
      year, but I really enjoyed it & it seemed to be well organized. We
      saw Runaway Train, Downtown Mountain Boys (mostly) and Cedar Hill. I
      noticed the differences in style of the respective fiddle, mandolin
      (my instruments) and bass players in the 3 groups. DMB (and Mary)
      were a very tight group and played more than their allotted hour.
      An observation about concert dress -- What's with the suits? Is it a
      regional thing? I don't get out much, but the Ozark bands I've seen
      seem to dress up and the local guys don't. Cedar Hill's lead
      vocalist's suit was so new that he hadn't even taken the label off
      the sleeve. Those guys (and the Wilders at WG) looked sharp, but it
      is a visual shock to me. I know from visits to Chicago that we are
      less formal out here in the NW; is it just a regional thing?
      That same Cedar Hill vocalist said how much they all love Oregon.
      Then he had some shoveling to do, because but as most of us know,
      Shelton is in WA.
      The weather in late April can be unreliable here in W.WA, esp.
      around Shelton, which I believe is one of the soggier (and most
      beautiful) places in WA. We plan to bring tarps and a heater and
      camp out next year.
      Cara Z
      Des Moines WA
    • eljimb0
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2006
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Cara Zemanek" <zemaneks@...>
        wrote: -- What's with the suits? Is it a regional thing? I don't get out much, but
        the Ozark bands I've seen seem to dress up and the local guys don't. ....... I
        know from visits to Chicago that we are less formal out here in the NW; is it
        just a regional thing?
        Cara Z
        Des Moines WA

        I for one don't think it is "cool" to dress up for a performance. I think that in the
        N.W. musicians should dress the same as they would to mow the lawn. If you
        want to impress the audience.. accessories like sunglasses or baseball type
        caps should be the norm.
        ...but then what do I know I am nuts.
        jimbo
      • salmon_scratcher
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2006
          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "eljimb0" <eljimb0@...> wrote:

          > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Cara Zemanek" <zemaneks@>
          > wrote: -- What's with the suits? Is it a regional thing? I don't
          get out much, but
          > the Ozark bands I've seen seem to dress up and the local guys
          don't. ....... I
          > know from visits to Chicago that we are less formal out here in
          the NW; is it
          > just a regional thing?
          > Cara Z
          > Des Moines WA
          >
          > I for one don't think it is "cool" to dress up for a performance.
          I think that in the
          > N.W. musicians should dress the same as they would to mow the
          lawn. If you
          > want to impress the audience.. accessories like sunglasses or
          baseball type
          > caps should be the norm.
          > ...but then what do I know I am nuts.
          > jimbo

          In my humble opinion as a fan, I appreciate it when performers dress
          up at least a little. It makes me feel as though they take their
          performance and their impression on the crowd seriously. They don't
          have to wear suits, but at least a decent, unwrinkled shirt and
          pants without holes in them. It is a matter of showing respect to
          the audience. It is very disturbing to me to see a national band
          get on the main stage of a huge festival (or even a small one)
          looking as though they just got up from a four hour nap in their
          clothes. To those of you that dress neatly and comb their hair for
          us, thank you.

          Just another jimbo that is also nuts.
        • Matthew Snook
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2006
            To me, the outfits should be transparent--meaning that I don't notice them
            at all and I see only the performance. But maybe even this depends upon the
            viewpoint of the customer. If you're dressed as if you just mowed the lawn,
            you probably don't pay the slightest attention to the getup of a band
            dressed the same way, but you definitely notice the band with three-piece
            suits. If you yourself are more dressed up, you may notice the, uh, casual
            look of one band but not the pressed look of the outfits in the next band.

            I think that either extreme can detract from a performance. The lived-in
            look does look sloppy, and can seem an affectation--trying too hard to be
            'cool.' But starched suits and especially the stiff white cowboy hats that
            have never seen a rainstorm or a horse add a touch of awkwardness to a
            performance that otherwise might be impressive. When I think of bands that
            I enjoy, I often have to try hard to remember what they wore! Just now I
            realized that Hit & Run was pretty dressy--the guys even wore ties and I
            think both the gals wore dresses, or maybe some outfit with pants. But I
            don't remember them as a 'suit-band.' Jackstraw: no suits, but it fits
            their presentation. I still don't like the hat, but who cares? He's a
            great mandolin player. I remember them as casual, but darned if I could
            tell you anything that they wore, I just remember the music. Jeans. I'll
            bet they wore blue jeans.

            Of course an exception to all of this is groups like Great Northern Planes.
            The outfit is part of the act. As soon as you see them you know 'this is
            _not_ your grandfather's bluegrass band.'

            :)

            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2006
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Snook" <matt@...> wrote:

              > To me, the outfits should be transparent--meaning...

              ...uuuh you mean like "see through?" Just which band were you thinking
              of Matt? On second thought, don't answer. -Your reso-pal. -dh
            • Keith Bowers
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                IMO, If a band is performing on stage they shouldnt look like some
                parking lot picker with flipflops and a worn out tee shirt. What
                would your Grandmother have said if she saw you going on stage in
                jeans with holes in the knees and sloppy BBQ stained shirts hanging
                out?

                At the very least a band that dresses up a bit is showing some
                respect for their audience. And like it or not the white stiff hat
                says BLUEGRASS BAND -stand back folks the stove might get hot. Blame
                Mr Monroe for that. Also please remember his HAT was a very
                expensive Gentleman's Stetson that never saw a cowpie near it. It was
                his STAGE HAT not to be confused with his CHURCH HAT nor his WORKING
                THE GARDEN HAT nor his PLOWING WITH A MULE FOR FUN HAT. So keep in
                mind the HAT HEIRARCHY in play. ;)
              • Matthew Snook
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                    Well, my grandmother would have a cow if she saw me talking with anyone
                    carrying a banjo or a mandolin! Wouldn't matter how I, or the others, were
                    dressed she'd probably haul me off the stage by the ear! She liked
                    Englebert Humperdink.
                    Iv'e seen well dressed bands who weren't in matching outfits, or even
                    in suits, that looked impresive. Some even sounded good! And I've heard
                    some wonderful parking lot pickin' that wouldn't have been out of place on
                    a stage and no one was dressed to impress - just to stay warm.
                    If suits make the band feel special, let 'em wear suits. But don't judge
                    bands by what they wear or don't wear. Just listen.

                    Pat L.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                      This is a funny discussion. I'm sure that most folks think that a band can
                      look anyway they want and as long as they play good music, who cares how
                      they look?

                      Others...me included..Do make the mistake of judging people by the way they
                      look. I frankly find it somewhat insulting when a band walks out on stage
                      with holes in their jeans, shirts hanging out, flip flops, etc. That is not
                      the image of a professional band to me.

                      And as a father of a daughter..let me say I also make snap decisions about
                      the guy that shows up to date her in baggy pants hanging around his knees,
                      underwear showing and a tank top. Sorry.. I ain't got time to discover the
                      hidden quality.

                      I suggest anyone who claims to be non judgemental regarding how someone is
                      dressed is not telling us the truth. If you want to be treated like a street
                      musician..go ahead and dress like one. I like those white hats.

                      >From: "P. Liley" <pliley@...>
                      ---SNIP--->
                      > Well, my grandmother would have a cow if she saw me talking with anyone
                      >carrying a banjo or a mandolin! Wouldn't matter how I, or the others, were
                      >dressed she'd probably haul me off the stage by the ear! She liked
                      >Englebert Humperdink.
                      > Iv'e seen well dressed bands who weren't in matching outfits, or even
                      >in suits, that looked impresive. Some even sounded good! And I've heard
                      >some wonderful parking lot pickin' that wouldn't have been out of place on
                      >a stage and no one was dressed to impress - just to stay warm.
                      > If suits make the band feel special, let 'em wear suits. But don't
                      >judge
                      >bands by what they wear or don't wear. Just listen.
                      >
                      >Pat L.
                      >
                      >At 02:43 PM 5/1/2006, you wrote:
                      > >IMO, If a band is performing on stage they shouldnt look like some
                      > >parking lot picker with flipflops and a worn out tee shirt. What
                      > >would your Grandmother have said if she saw you going on stage in
                      > >jeans with holes in the knees and sloppy BBQ stained shirts hanging
                      > >out?
                      > >
                      > > At the very least a band that dresses up a bit is showing some
                      > >respect for their audience. And like it or not the white stiff hat
                      > >says BLUEGRASS BAND -stand back folks the stove might get hot. Blame
                      > >Mr Monroe for that. Also please remember his HAT was a very
                      > >expensive Gentleman's Stetson that never saw a cowpie near it. It was
                      > >his STAGE HAT not to be confused with his CHURCH HAT nor his WORKING
                      > >THE GARDEN HAT nor his PLOWING WITH A MULE FOR FUN HAT. So keep in
                      > >mind the HAT HEIRARCHY in play. ;)
                      > >

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bill Martin
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                        This discussion is making me kind of nervous. Cut it out! The west coast has
                        different aesthetic and lifestyle values than the rest of the country. Who the
                        heck wants to dress up like some tight a--ed bluegrass band down at the Ku Klux
                        picnic? Well, maybe I'll relent a little. Dressing to the nines fits the tone of
                        some bands and looks ridiculous on others. Dolling up is just one showbiz
                        gimmick in the entertainer's quiver. It has nothing to do with respect for the
                        audience. Respect?! Don't flatter yourselves. If they truly respected the
                        audience they sure as heck wouldn't slap them upside the....head with....blu egr
                        as........ Ouch!! Dang hornets! Yow!!! Lemee outa here....

                        Bill
                      • Mandoholic@Comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                          I like dressin' up real purty for a bluegrass gig, makes me feel extry cute and special.

                          I have several levels of dress depending on the job.

                          Old Time, bibs, no shirt, no shoes, no hat.
                          Square Dance, bibs, clean T, no shoes, baseball cap.
                          Irish, white shirt, black slacks, black penny loafers, no hat. (you know, the GNP look)
                          Bluegrass casual, bibs, Hawaiian shirt, Berks, no hat.
                          Bluegrass less casual, bibs, white shirt and tie, the good baseball cap, work boots.
                          Weddings, same as less casual, without the hat.
                          Saturday night Bluegrass, jeans, sport coat, white shirt, tie, good boots, no hat.
                          Playing with Zach Driscoll, Black pinstrip suit, maroon shirt, Martin fingerboard tie, black boots, white Stetson. (just to let the boy know, I ain't no &#(*#&^$*(#& side-man)

                          --
                          Clyde Clevenger
                          Just My Opinion, But It's Right!

                        • Anna Snook
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                            Uh, that would be "No Strings Attached." :-)

                            ~Anna

                            _____

                            > To me, the outfits should be transparent--meaning...

                            ...uuuh you mean like "see through?" Just which band were you thinking
                            of Matt? On second thought, don't answer. -Your reso-pal. -dh

                          • Dale Wagner
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                              I guess I had better get me a job driving school bus. Just social security
                              limits me to just bibs.
                              Dale

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                                <Dale sez>

                                guess I had better get me a job driving school bus. Just social security
                                limits me to just bibs.
                                Dale

                                <Clyde>

                                Jeez Dale, I wasn't always a school bus driver, I used to be a ditch digger.

                                You can get a fine suit at Good Will for $9.00.
                                --

                                -
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 1, 2006
                                  Ah...come on Dale..

                                  Three years ago my band decided to go the route of "uniform" dress. We first
                                  decided on Hawaiian shirts. A quick stop at my local Value Village and ten
                                  bucks later (Monday's is fifty percent off day) I had four great looking
                                  shirts.

                                  If you want to look nice on stage there is a way and it is not expensive.
                                  I'll bet you spend more on them there bibs than a whole nice outfit would
                                  cost.

                                  >From: "Dale Wagner" <dwagner@...>
                                  ---SNIP---
                                  >I guess I had better get me a job driving school bus. Just social security
                                  >limits me to just bibs.
                                  >Dale

                                • Dale Wagner
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                                    But being as my little pickup broke down, it would cost $45 in my big pickup
                                    to go to the nearest goodwill. Bibs are only $27 in town.
                                    Have a good day Clyde
                                    Dale
                                    > guess I had better get me a job driving school bus. Just social security
                                    > limits me to just bibs.
                                    > Dale
                                    >

                                    > <Clyde>
                                    >
                                    > Jeez Dale, I wasn't always a school bus driver, I used to be a ditch
                                    digger.

                                    > You can get a fine suit at Good Will for $9.00.
                                    > --
                                    > Clyde Clevenger
                                    > Just My Opinion, But It's Right!
                                    > www.bluegrassboutique.com
                                    > Salem, Oregon
                                  • Matthew Snook
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                                      Hey, I get clothes from some of the same places. How come I don't look like
                                      Clyde? :(

                                      > Jeez Dale, I wasn't always a school bus driver, I used to be a ditch
                                      digger.

                                      > You can get a fine suit at Good Will for $9.00.
                                      > --
                                      > Clyde Clevenger
                                      > Just My Opinion, But...
                                    • Julie & Pat Pyle
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 2, 2006
                                        Dale -
                                        Guess your timing's just slightly off again. The latest school bus gig just went to Mike the Trumpet.
                                        Also, it might be a good thing you always play with your boots on???
                                        Julie P

                                        ----