Stevenson again

  • Faddis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      Now that I have some sleep under my belt I would like to continue this
      conversation about Stevenson and boycotts. First of all, Ken, I think we
      can have a civil conversation in this forum. I have no axe to grind about
      Stevenson one way or the other (this means I'm not in either camp) but if
      there are good reasons for not going to the festival then my general thought
      is that they be aired out so that if it's that bad, then perhaps we need to
      all stop going to Stevenson.
      Like a lot of other folks here, I have been involved in bringing music in
      and it's a thankless job at best. Some are going to hate it and some are
      going to like it and I think you try to do your best and if enough people
      respond one way or the other then you choose which road you take.
      I guess my main objection to a boycott is selfish-I don't make it to many of
      the other festivals so I would really hate to see it end. And someone else
      talked about the "family" feel to Stevenson and I second that.
      This was mentioned before too but I think one of the most poignant stories
      of this festival was that of Gene, who jammed up to the early hours of
      Sunday morning and then passed away a few hours later. I think that's how a
      lot of us would like to go. When I arrived home I ran into someone who told
      me about a guy up in this neck of the woods who was at a pickers' festival
      in Sandpoint, ID, who felt a little under the weather and went into town to
      get something to eat and had a heart attack and died at age 50. That hits
      pretty close to home as I knew Ray Belknap.
      But I'm planning on being at Stevenson next year unless someone gives me a
      real good reason not to, and for Ken again, I respect anyone's wish to not
      attend a festival for whatever reason.
      Jim