Too much sound information

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
      For those of you who think there has been too much
      discussion about sound on this board, let me ask you this.
      Did you not learn anything that was discussed? It sure beats
      What is bluegrass? I received many emails about the
      discussion. I learned a lot and will be able to use what I
      learned the next time I perform or do sound for others. For
      those of you who think no sound is an option, well I'd
      certainly be willing to turn your sound off the next time
      you get up on stage. Or if you wish, I'd be glad to set it
      and forget it. By the way, when I do sound, I work for the
      performer, the audience and the producer, in that order.

      I agree that Stew, Mark and I did dominate the discussion
      about sound, but I feel you received a king size education
      at virtually no expense. It was done with no hostility and I
      think egos were well in check too. I agree that unless
      someone asks, we've pretty well covered the subject. I would
      ask that you take some of the suggestions and work on them,
      starting with how to use and talk about an equalizer. Laurie
      Lewis used to amaze me when I did sound for her. She would
      say, "Ken, could you cut the 125 Hz. maybe 15%? And, she'd
      be right! Now that's my kind of performer. I would also hope
      that Mark's future columns in the OBA Express teaches us
      something about the 10-12 or 31 band EQ and how to tame it.
      We spend all this time learning other peoples music, but we
      don't take the time to talk tone. Tone is talked about in
      EQ. It's no harder than learning Man Of Constant Sorrow.

      Now here's a new discussion for some of you. How far from
      the stage should jam sessions be held? Or....... How often
      do you go and perform for nursing homes?
      Ken Cartwright
      "Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright"
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
        I agree with Ken. If anyone has specific questions, such as Suzanne and her
        bass query, there is a plethora of knowledge available right here on this
        list. And I also think it was presented in easy to understand terms, with
        personal experience factored in and many helpful hints for musicians.

        Personally, I think having an educated musician on stage helps other
        musicians and the audience to better experience the music.

        So, now we can get back to favorite Bill Monroe tunes, trivia questions,
        birthdays, musicians in monkey suits, and all the other fun aspects of
        bluegrass.

        And Ken, I will try to figure out the difference between a half octave and
        third octave EQ and see if I can 'splain it in a column.. Good idea.

        >From: "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@...>
        ---SNIP-->
        >For those of you who think there has been too much
        >discussion about sound on this board, let me ask you this.
        >Did you not learn anything that was discussed? It sure beats
        >What is bluegrass? I received many emails about the
        >discussion. I learned a lot and will be able to use what I
        >learned the next time I perform or do sound for others. For
        >those of you who think no sound is an option, well I'd
        >certainly be willing to turn your sound off the next time
        >you get up on stage. Or if you wish, I'd be glad to set it
        >and forget it. By the way, when I do sound, I work for the
        >performer, the audience and the producer, in that order.
        >
        >I agree that Stew, Mark and I did dominate the discussion
        >about sound, but I feel you received a king size education
        >at virtually no expense. It was done with no hostility and I
        >think egos were well in check too. I agree that unless
        >someone asks, we've pretty well covered the subject. I would
        >ask that you take some of the suggestions and work on them,
        >starting with how to use and talk about an equalizer. Laurie
        >Lewis used to amaze me when I did sound for her. She would
        >say, "Ken, could you cut the 125 Hz. maybe 15%? And, she'd
        >be right! Now that's my kind of performer. I would also hope
        >that Mark's future columns in the OBA Express teaches us
        >something about the 10-12 or 31 band EQ and how to tame it.
        >We spend all this time learning other peoples music, but we
        >don't take the time to talk tone. Tone is talked about in
        >EQ. It's no harder than learning Man Of Constant Sorrow.
        >
        >Now here's a new discussion for some of you. How far from
        >the stage should jam sessions be held? Or....... How often
        >do you go and perform for nursing homes?
        >Ken Cartwright
        >"Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright"

      • jhdjolliff
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005

          > Or....... How often
          > do you go and perform for nursing homes?
          > Ken Cartwright
          > "Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright"

          Well, I learned a lot from the last sound question; I may've started
          the last go round, but I'm not apologizing--I may start the next,
          too! I deeply appreciate the amount of intelligent response you can
          get on this list from people who know both sound and bluegrass.

          About nursing homes: I used to have one that I played at monthly and
          at other various homes a few times per year. This was when my kids
          were little and cute and vastly more portable. Now I'm down to
          every other month or so.

          At the one where I play, the folks are in pretty tough shape; it's
          the place in town that will take in patients with the least amount
          of resources and who need the most constant nursing care. They're
          not exactly a vibrant audience, I suppose, but I'll go in and play
          old fiddle tunes mixed with old church songs, and now and again
          somebody will mouth the words along, maybe someone who hasn't spoken
          at all for a couple weeks, and I get to be a part of a little
          miracle.
        • fultoncreek
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "jhdjolliff" <jhdjolliff@y...>
            wrote:
            It looks like ol' jhdjolliff was signed in on to our home computer
            when I posted that statement about nursing homes. But the comments
            about sound and about care homes were mine (Bill).

            But while I'm on here, I would say that things said on this
            particular group about sound reinforcement interest me more than what
            is said on more tightly specialized groups because I highly value the
            opinions of folks who know bluegrass and who know sound, and, maybe
            most of all, who understand the northwest bluegrass subculture and
            its/our expectations of a performance. Also, I'm really interested
            in the non-picker's perspective on sound, and we get some of that
            here; for example, it's interesting for me to read non-pickers'
            reflections on turn-around time between acts, opinions about volume,
            etc. In fact, I'd like to read more about what non-players most love
            in a good bluegrass performance.

            The pleasure of a listserv is that when you've had too many helpings
            of a certain issue, you can just not read them anymore. Thanks again
            to all who pass along so freely the expertise they've gained at
            considerable expense.
          • Chris Palmer
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
              As a result of all thread on sound, we have decided to offer a workshop on
              sound for the amazing number of people who have ideas and information to
              share. This will be at the RiverCity Bluegrass Festival. Day & time TBA,
              but it'll either be Saturday or Sunday, Jan. 7 or 8 at the Festival.

              Chris

              Christine Palmer
              Palmer/Wirfs & Associates
              4001 N.E. Halsey St.
              Portland, OR 97232
              (503)282-0877

              For information on our next Antique Show, please visit www.palmerwirfs.com.
              For the latest on The RiverCity Bluegrass Festival, visit
              www.rivercitybluegrass.com.

              Chris Palmer
              Palmer/Wirfs & Associates, Inc.
              4001 N.E. Halsey St.
              Portland, OR 97232
              (503)282-0877
              (503)310-3311 mobile

              For more information about our upcoming shows please visit our website at
              www.palmerwirfs.com.

              >I agree with Ken. If anyone has specific questions, such as Suzanne and her
              > bass query, there is a plethora of knowledge available right here on this
              > list. And I also think it was presented in easy to understand terms, with
              > personal experience factored in and many helpful hints for musicians.
              >
              > Personally, I think having an educated musician on stage helps other
              > musicians and the audience to better experience the music.
              >
              > So, now we can get back to favorite Bill Monroe tunes, trivia questions,
              > birthdays, musicians in monkey suits, and all the other fun aspects of
              > bluegrass.
              >
              > And Ken, I will try to figure out the difference between a half octave and
              > third octave EQ and see if I can 'splain it in a column.. Good idea.
              >
              > Mark Gensman
              > Ground Zero Sound
              >

              >>From: "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@...>
              > ---SNIP-->
              >>For those of you who think there has been too much
              >>discussion about sound on this board, let me ask you this.
              >>Did you not learn anything that was discussed? It sure beats
              >>What is bluegrass? I received many emails about the
              >>discussion. I learned a lot and will be able to use what I
              >>learned the next time I perform or do sound for others. For
              >>those of you who think no sound is an option, well I'd
              >>certainly be willing to turn your sound off the next time
              >>you get up on stage. Or if you wish, I'd be glad to set it
              >>and forget it. By the way, when I do sound, I work for the
              >>performer, the audience and the producer, in that order.
              >>
              >>I agree that Stew, Mark and I did dominate the discussion
              >>about sound, but I feel you received a king size education
              >>at virtually no expense. It was done with no hostility and I
              >>think egos were well in check too. I agree that unless
              >>someone asks, we've pretty well covered the subject. I would
              >>ask that you take some of the suggestions and work on them,
              >>starting with how to use and talk about an equalizer. Laurie
              >>Lewis used to amaze me when I did sound for her. She would
              >>say, "Ken, could you cut the 125 Hz. maybe 15%? And, she'd
              >>be right! Now that's my kind of performer. I would also hope
              >>that Mark's future columns in the OBA Express teaches us
              >>something about the 10-12 or 31 band EQ and how to tame it.
              >>We spend all this time learning other peoples music, but we
              >>don't take the time to talk tone. Tone is talked about in
              >>EQ. It's no harder than learning Man Of Constant Sorrow.
              >>
              >>Now here's a new discussion for some of you. How far from
              >>the stage should jam sessions be held? Or....... How often
              >>do you go and perform for nursing homes?
              >>Ken Cartwright
              >>"Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright"
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Joe Ross
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@w...> wrote:

                > How far from the stage should jam sessions be held?

                I've heard a lot of bands on stage that sound like jam sessions. ;-) I
                reckon the answer is far enough away that the separate groups aren't
                bothered by each other. I get more bothered by loud talkers in or right
                behind the audience trying to listen to a stage show. Related
                questions: Is this a problem? Have some festivals established "no jam"
                zones? Do we need bluegrass jam police to tell jammers they're too
                close to the stage? Should festivals have "quiet zones" where there's
                no late-night jamming for certain light sleepers who actually want to
                sleep?

                > ....... How often do you go and perform for nursing homes?

                Did Riverview Terrace last Friday afternoon for a special event there.
                I have to haul a lot of stuff but try to honor as many requests as I
                get from them around town. Usually ends up being about a half dozen
                nursing home shows a year. Some of those are with the Old Time Fiddlers
                too.
              • Nikki Clevenger
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                  > ~~~~~~~> Nikki Sez: Heck no, no quiet zones!!!!!!! If someone wants
                  > a good night's sleep, go to a motel!!!!!!!!
                  Nik

                  > Should festivals have "quiet zones" where there's
                  > no late-night jamming for certain light sleepers who actually want to
                  > sleep?

                  <image.tiff>

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > +  Visit your group "nwbluegrass" on the web.

                  <image.tiff>

                • Joe Ross
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                    --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@w...> wrote:
                    > For those of you who think there has been too much
                    > discussion about sound on this board, let me ask you this.
                    > Did you not learn anything that was discussed? It sure beats
                    > What is bluegrass? I received many emails about the
                    > discussion.

                    Hi all,
                    I don't recall anyone saying there was "too much sound information" on
                    this list. I heard one person say that they skim over it and would like
                    to see other topics being discussed simultaneously. I think that's a
                    good point. Many great questions were posed, answered, and many of us
                    learned a lot as a result. I didn't receive any hate mail as a result
                    of the sound discussions here.

                    Please continue to feel welcome to discuss bluegrass sound related
                    issues on this list. I didn't mean to imply anything else, and I
                    encourage the topic to come up whenever list members desire it to.

                    In fact, the popularity of the topic is a main reason for which
                    SoundReinforce has been created to concentrate on that. SoundReinforce
                    has only been in existence for one day and it's already got 4 members!
                    I'll be passing the word about it, and I expect it to grow. If the
                    group fails, then we'll just have to write that off to experience.
                    Jimbo, if they get into "what is bluegrass? topics there, that will be
                    cool as long as the discussions are sound-related.

                    See y'all.
                    Joe
                  • Joe Ross
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Gensman" <GZsound@h...> wrote:
                      > So, now we can get back to favorite Bill Monroe tunes, trivia
                      questions,
                      > birthdays, musicians in monkey suits, and all the other fun aspects
                      of
                      > bluegrass.

                      Hi Mark,
                      Don't think we've covered "musicians in monkey suits" yet on NWBG, but
                      that's a good one. What did you have in mind on that? ;-@>

                      ><((((º> ><((((º>
                      ><((((º>
                      ....·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
                      ><((((º> ><((((º>

                      Joe
                    • Joe Ross
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > Well, I learned a lot from the last sound question; I may've started
                        > the last go round, but I'm not apologizing--I may start the next,
                        > too! I deeply appreciate the amount of intelligent response you can
                        > get on this list from people who know both sound and bluegrass.

                        Hi Bill (or was it Jake?),
                        You're always welcome to start a similar discussion on Nwbluegrass. No
                        need to even think 'bout 'pologizing as long as the posts are somewhat
                        bluegrass-related. I agree with you that we are fortunate to have so
                        many knowledgable people involved and supportive of this yahoogroup.
                        Somehow the subject line and thread got changed to "too much sound
                        information," and that is not what anyone on the list said.

                        It takes a lot of time to stay tuned in, and I really want to thank
                        everyone who offers up their expertise and time to help others. With
                        good collaboration and info-sharing, it's truly amazing how much we can
                        learn and accomplish together!

                        piqon.
                        Joe

                        p.s.
                        Regarding the Jolliffs, I want to mention that I recently saw and heard
                        a new 2-CD product from Acoustic Disc called "Tone Poets". The first
                        disc has a bunch of mandolin players doing solo pieces.... about 70+
                        minutes I think. The second disc has all duos. Jake Jolliff is featured
                        on one of the tracks playing his mandolin with a guitar player. Way to
                        go, Jake! This info could be in the OBA "rumors and lies", Anna.
                      • Joe Ross
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Palmer" <chrispalmer@q...>
                          wrote:
                          > As a result of all thread on sound, we have decided to offer a
                          workshop on
                          > sound for the amazing number of people who have ideas and information
                          > share.

                          Chris,
                          Just an idea but have you ever considered videotaping some or all of
                          the workshops and making them available for checkout thru the OBA's
                          bluegrass library? Would this work?
                          Joe
                        • Chris Palmer
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                            That's a great idea, Joe. If we involve Ethos (a non-profit music center
                            here in Portland), they have just received a whole bunch of new video
                            equipment. Maybe we could turn them loose on the workshops. I'll mull this
                            over.

                            Chris

                            Christine Palmer
                            Palmer/Wirfs & Associates
                            4001 N.E. Halsey St.
                            Portland, OR 97232
                            (503)282-0877

                            For information on our next Antique Show, please visit www.palmerwirfs.com.
                            For the latest on The RiverCity Bluegrass Festival, visit
                            www.rivercitybluegrass.com.

                            >> As a result of all thread on sound, we have decided to offer a
                            > workshop on
                            >> sound for the amazing number of people who have ideas and information
                            >> share.
                            >
                            > Chris,
                            > Just an idea but have you ever considered videotaping some or all of
                            > the workshops and making them available for checkout thru the OBA's
                            > bluegrass library? Would this work?
                            > Joe
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • P. Liley
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005

                              > > birthdays, musicians in monkey suits, and all the other fun aspects
                              >of
                              > > bluegrass.
                              >
                              >Hi Mark,
                              >Don't think we've covered "musicians in monkey suits" yet on NWBG, but
                              >that's a good one. What did you have in mind on that? ;-@>

                              And how can you tell if it is a "monkey suit" or the bass player is
                              naked? :-)

                              Pat L.

                            • J.D.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2005
                                Here,here I'm with you nik and if they can't afford the motel, then
                                get the banjer mutes,their cheap.

                                Jim W.
                                "Second Mouse gets the Cheese"

                                --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Nikki Clevenger <bassbabe49@c...>
                                wrote:
                                > > ~~~~~~~> Nikki Sez: Heck no, no quiet zones!!!!!!! If someone
                                wants
                                > > a good night's sleep, go to a motel!!!!!!!!
                                > Nik
                                >

                                > > Should festivals have "quiet zones" where there's
                                > > no late-night jamming for certain light sleepers who actually
                                want to
                                > > sleep?

                                > <image.tiff>
                                > >
                                > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                > >
                                > > + Visit your group "nwbluegrass" on the web.

                                > > + Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                Service.

                                > <image.tiff>

                              • Bill Martin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
                                  From: "Joe Ross" <rossjoe@...>

                                  ><((((º> ><((((º>
                                  ><((((º>
                                  ....·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
                                  ><((((º> ><((((º>

                                  Wow!!! - Bill
                                • Brinkerhoff's
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
                                    >> do you go and perform for nursing homes?
                                    >> Ken Cartwright
                                    >> "Just my opinion, but I'm Cartwright"
                                    >
                                    > Well, I learned a lot from the last sound question; I may've started
                                    > the last go round, but I'm not apologizing--I may start the next,
                                    > too! I deeply appreciate the amount of intelligent response you can
                                    > get on this list from people who know both sound and bluegrass.
                                    >
                                    > About nursing homes: I used to have one that I played at monthly and
                                    > at other various homes a few times per year. This was when my kids
                                    > were little and cute and vastly more portable. Now I'm down to
                                    > every other month or so.
                                    >
                                    > At the one where I play, the folks are in pretty tough shape; it's
                                    > the place in town that will take in patients with the least amount
                                    > of resources and who need the most constant nursing care. They're
                                    > not exactly a vibrant audience, I suppose, but I'll go in and play
                                    > old fiddle tunes mixed with old church songs, and now and again
                                    > somebody will mouth the words along, maybe someone who hasn't spoken
                                    > at all for a couple weeks, and I get to be a part of a little
                                    > miracle.
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Brinkerhoff's
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
                                      hi all-

                                      I found it amazing and a different sort of satisfaction playing for the
                                      older folks--the staff seems amazed too--folks tappin' toes or just fingers
                                      that never even move---I guess with budgets tight, folks "donate" time to
                                      entertain these folks--but ususally (the staff tells me) the "entertainment"
                                      isnt that good. They seem to love it when one of the groups I play with
                                      comes in--plays stuff form their era I suppose-- got started doin' it when
                                      teaching some nursing aides there--and we dropped by after hours to a
                                      BBQ ----one guy I knows get $25.00 each time he goes in for an hour---(about
                                      all their attention span lasts)--but I have to say--I just never wanted any
                                      $$$$ in this instance.
                                      deb

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 4, 2005
                                        Joe, you obviously misssed the discussion regarding wearing "uniforms" on
                                        stage and our very own Mr. Bill, Martin that is, saying that musicians who
                                        wore uniforms looked like trained monkeys..

                                        I'm still laughing considering that to play old timey music you must wear
                                        the uniform..