Re: Chop? Bluegrass?

  • banjermaniac
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
      I have been in jam sessions where there are several banjo players and
      they are all trying to play exactly what Scruggs played...guess what
      it doesn't work.

      Of course I think it depends on the situation, in a band setting I
      will find myself doing more rolls to fill out the sound and in a jam
      situation playing chops help hold the beat and also allows the lead
      instrument to be heard.
      I think that rolls and chops have their place.
      Sometimes I am in a jam and realize that (in the heat of the moment)
      I am playing too loud or trying something that does not work, this is
      the time for someone to slap me alongside the head...just dont touch
      my banjo.

      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "eddard" <eddard@s...> wrote:
      > The reference was more to my jamming experience than any records I
      could
      > cite. Maybe the banjo players are magnanimously coddling me
      wherever I go
      > because my 3-fingered guitar necessarily resorts to a certain
      amount of
      > countermelody behind the lead instrument, which maybe isn't
      traditional
      > guitar? They say that where you sit determines what you see.
      >
      > I'm clueless, but isn't gross inflammation what guitar players do?
      > thought there was plenty of anecdotal support for that thesis.
      Take two
      > Aleves and call me in the morning?
      >
      > I'll hold with the affirmation that choppin' HELPS. It's a low-
      paid job,
      > maybe even a thankless one, but somebody has to do it once in a
      while.
      > Getting banjo pickers to do it is sorta like convincing a racehorse
      to jump
      > up and down with all four feet together, but believe it or not, it
      sounds
      > pretty good.
      >
      > eddard

    • dobrodawg
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
        ---Hello Infadels
        What? a banjo player that thinks he's playing too loud?
        LORD HAVE MERCY!
        Sliddin

        In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "banjermaniac" <banjermaniac@y...>
        wrote:

        > I have been in jam sessions where there are several banjo players
        and
        > they are all trying to play exactly what Scruggs played...guess
        what
        > it doesn't work.
        >
        > Of course I think it depends on the situation, in a band setting I
        > will find myself doing more rolls to fill out the sound and in a
        jam
        > situation playing chops help hold the beat and also allows the lead
        > instrument to be heard.
        > I think that rolls and chops have their place.
        > Sometimes I am in a jam and realize that (in the heat of the
        moment)
        > I am playing too loud or trying something that does not work, this
        is
        > the time for someone to slap me alongside the head...just dont
        touch
        > my banjo.
        >

        > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "eddard" <eddard@s...> wrote:
        > > The reference was more to my jamming experience than any records
        > could
        > > cite. Maybe the banjo players are magnanimously coddling me
        > wherever I go
        > > because my 3-fingered guitar necessarily resorts to a certain
        > amount of
        > > countermelody behind the lead instrument, which maybe isn't
        > traditional
        > > guitar? They say that where you sit determines what you see.
        > >
        > > I'm clueless, but isn't gross inflammation what guitar players
        do?
        > > thought there was plenty of anecdotal support for that thesis.
        > Take two
        > > Aleves and call me in the morning?
        > >
        > > I'll hold with the affirmation that choppin' HELPS. It's a low-
        > paid job,
        > > maybe even a thankless one, but somebody has to do it once in a
        > while.
        > > Getting banjo pickers to do it is sorta like convincing a
        racehorse
        > to jump
        > > up and down with all four feet together, but believe it or not,
        it
        > sounds
        > > pretty good.
        > >
        > > eddard