Re: [nwbluegrass] Chop? Bluegrass?

  • eddard
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
      The reference was more to my jamming experience than any records I could
      cite. Maybe the banjo players are magnanimously coddling me wherever I go
      because my 3-fingered guitar necessarily resorts to a certain amount of
      countermelody behind the lead instrument, which maybe isn't traditional
      guitar? They say that where you sit determines what you see.

      I'm clueless, but isn't gross inflammation what guitar players do? I
      thought there was plenty of anecdotal support for that thesis. Take two
      Aleves and call me in the morning?

      I'll hold with the affirmation that choppin' HELPS. It's a low-paid job,
      maybe even a thankless one, but somebody has to do it once in a while.
      Getting banjo pickers to do it is sorta like convincing a racehorse to jump
      up and down with all four feet together, but believe it or not, it sounds
      pretty good.

      eddard

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
        From: "eddard" <eddard@...>

        > a racehorse to jump up and down with all four feet together

        Oh man! What an image. And an apt description...

        Bill
      • banjermaniac
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
          I have been in jam sessions where there are several banjo players and
          they are all trying to play exactly what Scruggs played...guess what
          it doesn't work.

          Of course I think it depends on the situation, in a band setting I
          will find myself doing more rolls to fill out the sound and in a jam
          situation playing chops help hold the beat and also allows the lead
          instrument to be heard.
          I think that rolls and chops have their place.
          Sometimes I am in a jam and realize that (in the heat of the moment)
          I am playing too loud or trying something that does not work, this is
          the time for someone to slap me alongside the head...just dont touch
          my banjo.

        • dobrodawg
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
            ---Hello Infadels
            What? a banjo player that thinks he's playing too loud?
            LORD HAVE MERCY!
            Sliddin

            In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "banjermaniac" <banjermaniac@y...>
            wrote:

            > I have been in jam sessions where there are several banjo players
            and
            > they are all trying to play exactly what Scruggs played...guess
            what
            > it doesn't work.
            >
            > Of course I think it depends on the situation, in a band setting I
            > will find myself doing more rolls to fill out the sound and in a
            jam
            > situation playing chops help hold the beat and also allows the lead
            > instrument to be heard.
            > I think that rolls and chops have their place.
            > Sometimes I am in a jam and realize that (in the heat of the
            moment)
            > I am playing too loud or trying something that does not work, this
            is
            > the time for someone to slap me alongside the head...just dont
            touch
            > my banjo.
            >

            > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "eddard" <eddard@s...> wrote:
            > > The reference was more to my jamming experience than any records
            > could
            > > cite. Maybe the banjo players are magnanimously coddling me
            > wherever I go
            > > because my 3-fingered guitar necessarily resorts to a certain
            > amount of
            > > countermelody behind the lead instrument, which maybe isn't
            > traditional
            > > guitar? They say that where you sit determines what you see.
            > >
            > > I'm clueless, but isn't gross inflammation what guitar players
            do?
            > > thought there was plenty of anecdotal support for that thesis.
            > Take two
            > > Aleves and call me in the morning?
            > >
            > > I'll hold with the affirmation that choppin' HELPS. It's a low-
            > paid job,
            > > maybe even a thankless one, but somebody has to do it once in a
            > while.
            > > Getting banjo pickers to do it is sorta like convincing a
            racehorse
            > to jump
            > > up and down with all four feet together, but believe it or not,
            it
            > sounds
            > > pretty good.
            > >
            > > eddard