Re: wintergrass report from boise

  • Jon Ostrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      The Peter Rowan jam after Gris was really fun...did anyone see Zoe
      from Cross-eyed Rosie singing with him? I missed it by about 10
      minutes and would love a copy if anyone got one for our
      website....what a great weekend. I can't tell you how much fun we had
      playing and talking and just having a great time...there is a fun pic
      on our yahoo group of some of the King Wilke boys, Cross-eyed Rosie,
      Russel Street Regulars and more in our room at like 5am...search the
      yahoo groups for Cross-eyed Rosie (I think you have to join to see
      it...but we would love to have you all there anyway...) Anyway, we
      can't tell you all how much fun we had. The dances had to have been
      the most fun out of everything. That Ballroom stage has really become
      something not to miss. We will definitely share some pics soon.

      JonO

      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <got_mando@h...> wrote:

      > WOW!
      > Once again I had a blast and this year was better than last for me.
      > Im slowly crawling outtta my shell and pickin with folks i don't
      > know and who intimidate me but its making me get better i.e., why Im
      > doing it. It becomes fun after the first few songs and from there on
      > its all about trying to hang on, hit the right chords at the right
      > time and not freeze up when that first wrong note comes out when i
      > have the lead! I did way better this year and some others actually
      > noticed which made it that much more rewarding! THANKS
      > As for the bands...what Kathy Boyd said! Those 2 bands were worth
      > the price of admission, especially since i caught all their sets!
      > whoever it was from the list who told me to catch C.E.R. many
      > thanks! The wilders were aptly named, they were wild and crazy as A
      > famous and very funny banjo picker once said. Every act I seen I
      > liked and after bumming out cuz i missed Peter Rowan's sets low and
      > behold as I was headed from the Pavillion to the main hotel area,
      > there he was and I stood right next to him for a hour or so of him
      > singing
      > some of my alltime favorite's and at 3am left to look for a jam and
      > he was still going strong! I must be blessed!
      > My low points were few...
      > I missed seeing Ken and picking his brain about everything from
      > bluegrass to luthiery and back again (is that why you stayed
      > away...memories of the past) and right after peter Rowan I was
      > hanging around a jam when a fellow came up to retrive his bass. he
      > was a little put off cuz the fellow playing it hadn't asked and he
      > took it with him and left. % minutes later he brought it back and
      > said the jam he was gonna join had dissapated and for us to keep
      > jamming and use his bass. Well thank-you's were passed both ways
      > and then he looked around for his guitar and mandolin case and they
      > were GONE. We did a quick search of the area (near the check-end
      > and ticket pickup with no luck. He headed down to the lobby to
      > check and see if they had been turned in and/or call the police and
      > I headed back to my room with a huge empty feeling in my stomach and
      > heart for the guy. I don't know the final outcome but my goodtimes
      > ended there and I never even looked for another jam, I just headed
      > back to my room in semi-disbelif and disgust. I sure hope he got
      > them back cuz thats as low as it gets. Got up late and almost missed
      > my shuttle to the airport, but didn't so it all worked out fine in
      > the end. To all the folks who I met from the list, my thanks goes
      > out to ya for helping me have a better time, pointing me in the
      > right direction for food, music, jams, etc. and I'll see ya
      > somewhere, sometime Im sure...until then YEE HAA, WANG DANG DOODLE
      > and all that!
      > Jeff (whos headed to bed at 9:30 cuz he's still tired} I must be
      > getting old...
    • Barry D. Chalcroft
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Man, I missed that one. Im sad now, we had to leave before the end of
        Grisman / Rice at 1:40. The shuttles quit at 2:00 am. I'd love to hear
        more about it

        barryc