RE: [nwbluegrass] RE: Bluebird report

    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 28, 2005
      Pete,
      I am going to agree with you..totally. I think the Bluebirds show was a
      giant waste of time. Maria and Linda should just retire and stay home. They
      were dazed, confused, off pitch, totally without any entertainment value and
      I think the folks who liked them were remembering the "good old days" and
      not paying any attention to thier performance.

      I notice that every year at Wintergrass, there is an act or two that I call
      "bring out the dead". Folks who just don't know when to quit and are living
      on their reputations from thirty years ago.

      I would much have preferred to just see Laurie Lewis and the band without
      the pain caused by Maria and Linda.. Thankfully, I have mastered the art of
      the "Festival Nap"..

      www.groundzerosound.com

      >From: "Pete Goodall" <petekbcs@...>
      The singing (what I listened to) was off-key and somewhat
      >uninspired. I only stayed for the first 6 songs, so perhaps it got better,
      >but after a full weekend of music I was burnt-out.
      >
      >The back-up band was superior, but that was hardly enough to carry the show
      >in my opinion. I really wanted to see these performers interact with each
      >other the way that Jo Miller interacted with Laura Love, but it just wasn't
      >there. Seems to me that Linda was in her own world. When it got to the
      >point to for her to sing a lead she left the other two behind. I dunno, it
      >just didn't work for me.

    • Kate Bailey
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2006
        Hey y'all,

        I was sitting up in the church balcony, right above Jason Carter's head and
        on a level with the band so I got an excellent view of the stage and all
        that was going on in the audience. This is what happened. There was a
        volunteer at the front of the stage whose job was to give the bands the 2
        songs signal at the end of their set, so they would do their last numbers
        and wind up the show.

        Del and his entire band either didn't see the signal or they ignored it
        intentionally. In any event, Del continued to call for requests and played
        until some other volunteer, presumably a bit higher up the seniority list,
        came out and gave the 'cut' signal by drawing his hand across his throat.

        Del and the boys had played right through the time allowed for their encore,
        and that's why they were only allowed to come back out to acknowledge the
        applause. It wasn't a rebuke to the audience at all. I got the impression
        that Del was really enjoying putting on a show and had lost track of time,
        was just into playing all night long. I guess the schedule got in the way.

        Katey in Vancouver, B.C.