Re: [nwbluegrass] new group member

  • Mandoholic@Comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Dave, you are on the right track, you can't do better than Bill Monroe. Del can make the phone book sound like bluegrass. Now, run right out and get some Stanley Brothers, Jim and Jesse, the Osborne Brothers, and if you want some really progressive bluegrass there is always the Dillards. Get well grounded with these guys, maybe add some Reno and Smiley and Red Allen, then when somebody asks that age old question, "What is Bluegrass?" you will know and you can just smile and say nothing. Other suggestions, anything by Bob Paisley, James King, Larry Sparks, Dry Branch Fire Squad, or The Sawtooth Mountain Boys, will give a really solid base. Some would say I'm a little bias, ----------------------------------------------------------- SO!!!!!!

      --
      Clyde Clevenger
      Just My Opinion, But It's Right!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        From: <Mandoholic@...>

        > Some would say I'm a little bias,

        No, you're a BIG bias. Rock on!

        Bill
      • Jes Wanderyn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
          Mandoholic@C... wrote:

          [snip]
          <<Dave, you are on the right track, you can't do better than Bill
          Monroe. Del can make the phone book sound like bluegrass. Now, run
          right out and get some Stanley Brothers, Jim and Jesse, the Osborne
          Brothers, and if you want some really progressive bluegrass there is
          always the Dillards. Get well grounded with these guys, maybe add
          some Reno and Smiley and Red Allen, then when somebody asks that age
          old question, "What is Bluegrass?" you will know and you can just
          smile and say nothing. Other suggestions, anything by Bob Paisley,
          James King, Larry Sparks, Dry Branch Fire Squad, or The Sawtooth
          Mountain Boys, will give a really solid base. Some would say I'm a
          little bias,
          ----------------------------------------------------------- SO!!!!!!>>

          Clydie, you might be biased, but at least you're focused and YOU KNOW
          what "real" bluegrass music is; that's some real good advice you
          passed on to Dave! That's important you know! I'm thinking (in some
          circles) we may be an endagered species. You been lookin' at my CD
          collection?

          Happy New Year to you and Nikki!

          Jes Wanderyn
          aka "Chainsaw"
          Eugene, OR
        • pdidmh1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
            Thanks Jes and Clyde. I will be going to the River City festival on
            Saturday. I have been taking banjo lessons for a little over a month. I know
            some cords and rolls. Should I bring my instrument with me or leave it at
            home?

            Dave

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Gary Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
              Dave,

              Bring it. There will be a very secure instrument check room that you can put it in as soon as you arrive, so you won't have to lug it around with you all the time yet it will be right there if you decide that you do want it. Don't leave it in the car!

              In my experience, every time I go to some music happening without mine, that is the time that I really would have loved having it and I really kick myself for not bringing it.

              Flip side is, bringing it sometimes guarantees that you won't get an opportunity to use it <gr>.

              In regards to your CD selection question, I don't know if Ken will be carrying this at the festival, but there is a 4 CD box set entitled 50 Years of Bluegrass that has a lot of the classics done by some of the original masters. This set offers quite a variety of the early bands and I have really enjoyed mine.

              Gary Miller
              Volunteer Coordinator
              River City