Hippies

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
      I think they're only Hippies if they smell like Patchouli
      oil. You know, even as a former Hippie, I hated that smell.
      Now it's old spice or preparation H!
    • eljimb0
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2004
        Hippies,
        In my humble opinion there are no more hippies. Like wild buffalo or free
        speech it is now just a concept. The time for hippies has gone by. Society is
        no longer innocent enough to permit it. You could hitchhike from the atlantic to
        the pacific in 2 days. Rest areas had glass mirrors in the bathrooms.There are
        many folks lots of them young people who emulate the Hollywood version..
        clothes, VW with dead head sticker, that smell, drugs ect. All that stuff was
        such a small part of the phenomona it is almost a discredit to the genre. Being
        a hippie meant something. It had to do with doing your own thing. Not doing
        what everyone is doing. Lots of hippies had dodge sedans or beater pickup
        trucks (with the obligitory wood bumpers). When was the last time you saw a
        T-pee in a rest area? There were people who came after the hippies. They
        got mom and dad to float the loan on a used VW bus. They took perfectly new
        blue jeans and hacked them up to look nasty and the like. They were called
        teeny-boppers. They still exist.
        jimbo
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
          You have captured the very essense of what happened to "hippies". And you
          have captured the essense of what happens to everything that becomes popular
          in our culture, including music.

          The original hippies were the few total outsiders and were known as
          beatniks. When Hollywood started glorifying beatniks, more and more kids
          joined thinking is was suddenly cool to be a "non-conformist", but of
          course, it got abused. Drugs, free sex and eventually anarchist behavior all
          lead to the downfall of the hippies. Now all you get are cartoon versions of
          what someone thinks a hippie should be.

          Don't feel bad. They did the same thing to rock and roll and country music.
          Now all we get are cartoon versions of what some California producer thinks
          is rock and roll or country.

          And don't get me started on the zip-on "outlaw" personality some folks think
          they get when they buy a certain brand of motorcycle...

          One good thing about the bluegrass community is at least they work very hard
          to protect the "realness" of the music and only on rare occassion do I see
          someone doing a cartoon impression of what they think bluegrass music should
          sound like. (Like someone born and raised on the west coast working hard to
          sound like they just stepped out of an Appalachian cabin when they sing).

          But we have room in our world for hippies, bikers and bluegrassers,
          immitation or real. Think of the alternative.

          >From: "eljimb0" <eljimb0@...>
          ---SNIP---
          >Hippies,
          >In my humble opinion there are no more hippies. Like wild buffalo or free
          >speech it is now just a concept. The time for hippies has gone by. Society
          >is
          >no longer innocent enough to permit it. You could hitchhike from the
          >atlantic to
          >the pacific in 2 days. Rest areas had glass mirrors in the bathrooms.There
          >are
          >many folks lots of them young people who emulate the Hollywood version..
          >clothes, VW with dead head sticker, that smell, drugs ect. All that stuff
          >was
          >such a small part of the phenomona it is almost a discredit to the genre.
          >Being
          >a hippie meant something. It had to do with doing your own thing. Not
          >doing
          >what everyone is doing.----SNIP---

        • santacluzman
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Gensman" <GZsound@h...>
            wrote:

            >>The original hippies were the few total outsiders and were known as
            beatniks. When Hollywood started glorifying beatniks, more and more
            kids joined thinking is was suddenly cool to be a "non-conformist",
            but of course, it got abused. Drugs, free sex and eventually
            anarchist behavior all lead to the downfall of the hippies. Now all
            you get are cartoon versions of what someone thinks a hippie should
            be.<<

            as quoted from the cartoon version of "A History of the hippies," by
            Bosephus H. Boheme.

            peace and love, y'all
          • Joe Ross
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
              --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "santacluzman"
              <santacluzman@y...> wrote:
              > peace and love, y'all

              Hello flower kids,
              I heard on NPR yesterday that cartoonist R. Crumb was celebrating a
              birthday (67 I think!) Made me think of a bumper sticker with that
              little truckin' man with a banjo in his hand saying "Keep on
              Pickin'"...as well as all his great comic book characters. Anyone
              else with sufficient memory cells to remember those from the 60s?

              The topic of bluegrass instruments in various cartoons is an
              intriguing one. Do you recall any good ones? Feel free to scan the
              best ones and upload to our shared file space....or just tell us
              about them....
              Pique on.
              Joe
            • Shelah Spiegel
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                Joe Ross <rossjoe@...> wrote: .....cartoonist R. Crumb.....as well as all his great comic book characters. Anyone else with sufficient memory cells to remember those from the 60s?

                My age is peeking out, but I have Zap! Comic books 1-15 at home. Not to mention 2 of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

                shelah

              • donnunit
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                  I have the R. Crumb coffee table book. Very cool. Brings back fond
                  memories whenever I peruse it. Uh oh...is my hippie showing?

                  My favorite banjo comic is a Gary Larson (Farside) comic where Satan
                  is in Hell showing a sinful maestro into the maestro's own personal
                  Hell:
                  A bandroom full of banjo students.

                  Donn

                  --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Ross" <rossjoe@h...> wrote:
                  > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "santacluzman"
                  > <santacluzman@y...> wrote:
                  > > peace and love, y'all
                  >
                  > Hello flower kids,
                  > I heard on NPR yesterday that cartoonist R. Crumb was celebrating a
                  > birthday (67 I think!) Made me think of a bumper sticker with that
                  > little truckin' man with a banjo in his hand saying "Keep on
                  > Pickin'"...as well as all his great comic book characters. Anyone
                  > else with sufficient memory cells to remember those from the 60s?
                  >
                  > The topic of bluegrass instruments in various cartoons is an
                  > intriguing one. Do you recall any good ones? Feel free to scan the
                  > best ones and upload to our shared file space....or just tell us
                  > about them....
                  > Pique on.
                  > Joe
                • Flat Pick
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                    OK, R. Crumb, Mr. Natural, and banjo talk got me to unlurk right away...I recently saw a bio show on Crumb and he still is pretty unique. I always wondered what happened to him - it turns out that he went to France, where some guy traded him a house for a couple of notebooks full of drawings and cartoons. Maybe if Earl Scruggs moved to Belgium, someone would trade him a house for his banjo?
                    -Gary Leek

                    <santacluzman@y...> wrote:
                    > peace and love, y'all

                    Hello flower kids,
                    I heard on NPR yesterday that cartoonist R. Crumb was celebrating a
                    birthday (67 I think!) Made me think of a bumper sticker with that
                    little truckin' man with a banjo in his hand saying "Keep on
                    Pickin'"...as well as all his great comic book characters. Anyone
                    else with sufficient memory cells to remember those from the 60s?

                    The topic of bluegrass instruments in various cartoons is an
                    intriguing one. Do you recall any good ones? Feel free to scan the
                    best ones and upload to our shared file space....or just tell us
                    about them....
                    Pique on.
                    Joe

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • donnunit
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                      One other note on ol' R. He had a band call the "Cheap Suit
                      Serenaders". R. played saw. True fact.

                      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "donnunit" <donnunit@h...> wrote:
                      > I have the R. Crumb coffee table book. Very cool. Brings back
                      fond
                      > memories whenever I peruse it. Uh oh...is my hippie showing?
                      >
                      > My favorite banjo comic is a Gary Larson (Farside) comic where
                      Satan
                      > is in Hell showing a sinful maestro into the maestro's own personal
                      > Hell:
                      > A bandroom full of banjo students.
                      >
                      > Donn
                      >

                      > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Ross" <rossjoe@h...> wrote:
                      > > --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "santacluzman"
                      > > <santacluzman@y...> wrote:
                      > > > peace and love, y'all
                      > >
                      > > Hello flower kids,
                      > > I heard on NPR yesterday that cartoonist R. Crumb was celebrating
                      > > birthday (67 I think!) Made me think of a bumper sticker with
                      that
                      > > little truckin' man with a banjo in his hand saying "Keep on
                      > > Pickin'"...as well as all his great comic book characters.
                      Anyone
                      > > else with sufficient memory cells to remember those from the 60s?
                      > >
                      > > The topic of bluegrass instruments in various cartoons is an
                      > > intriguing one. Do you recall any good ones? Feel free to scan
                      the
                      > > best ones and upload to our shared file space....or just tell us
                      > > about them....
                      > > Pique on.
                      > > Joe
                    • The Martins
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                        From: "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@...>

                        | I think they're only Hippies if they smell like Patchouli
                        | oil. You know, even as a former Hippie, I hated that smell.
                        | Now it's old spice or preparation H!

                        Hey man, I agree with you that Patchouli oil, the one lasting contribution of
                        the hippie generation, was is and always will be a disgusting stink...
                        Howsomever, I doubt very much that the scent of Preparation H is an improvement
                        on that cloying foetid oil aroma. The main reason we smoked pot back then was to
                        mask the stench of the Patchouli.

                        Bill Martin
                      • justflower
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                          --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "donnunit" <donnunit@h...> wrote:
                          > One other note on ol' R. He had a band call the "Cheap Suit
                          > Serenaders". R. played saw. True fact.
                          >
                          > Cheap suit serenaders was a really good band!
                          Flower
                        • justflower
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                            Hi Bill, not really replying to yer comment, just wanted to say I was
                            pleased to see that you & Nancy are opening for F.M.G.'s.
                            Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it, as David & Buddy are
                            playing at Oxbow, that night. Is Nancy feelin' better? Will you be
                            playing any more shows together soon? I haven't seen the 2 of you
                            playin' together in years!!!
                            Flower

                            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "The Martins" <nkm@b...> wrote:
                            > . The main reason we smoked pot back then was to
                            > mask the stench of the Patchouli.
                            >
                            > Bill Martin
                          • Ken Cartwright
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                              Bill Martin,
                              I thought you said you didn't inhale? Or was that the
                              other Bill? Glad to see you never lost your
                              sense....................of humor! Kenc
                            • The Martins
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                                From: "justflower" <justflower@...>

                                | Hi Bill, not really replying to yer comment, just wanted to say I was
                                | pleased to see that you & Nancy are opening for F.M.G.'s.
                                | Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it, as David & Buddy are
                                | playing at Oxbow, that night. Is Nancy feelin' better? Will you be
                                | playing any more shows together soon? I haven't seen the 2 of you
                                | playin' together in years!!!

                                Old Granny Martin is still limping around but she's too mean to keep down. Yes,
                                we will be playing out a few more times this fall, TBA. Been frantically trying
                                to finally memorize the lyrics we've stumbled over for thirty years. We'll
                                see...