Writers

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      So how many of you folks on this list would like to write
      for a bluegrass publication but feel you would need to
      attend a writers workshop before you would commit to it? I
      have been conferring with Claire Levine about writers for
      the Oregon Bluegrass Associations "Express" newsletter. We
      need some fresh writers. I would first ask anyone who writes
      that if you are interested in submitting a 600 word or less
      article related to bluegrass to contact me. We are not
      looking for reviews of events that have already happened or
      CD reviews. Good short stories or an interview or a brush
      with fame or a tall tale or........
      Let me know if you'd like to attend a writers workshop.
      Contact me at kenc@... for more information. Thanks,
      Kenc
    • Joe Ross
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Cartwright" <kenc@w...>
        wrote:
        I would first ask anyone who writes
        > that if you are interested in submitting a 600 word or less
        > article related to bluegrass to contact me. Let me know if you'd
        like to attend a writers workshop.

        I've written for the OBA's BG Express in the past. The bluegrass
        pioneer series seemed fairly well-received (at least there were a few
        favorable letters to the editor). Have Ral contact me, and we can
        bounce around some ideas. I've sent him (and other editors) things
        every time they've asked for some. I appreciate a few months lead
        time to schedule the workload. I write for about a dozen other
        magazines and websites so my plate is pretty full. I don't think I
        could commit to a regular column, esp. since I've just signed on as
        the Oregon correspondent for Bluegrass North. For their September
        debut issue, they need 500 words about the Oregon scene by the end of
        June. Anyone with important items that need to be mentioned, please
        contact me. Also, I feel that any photos that are shared with editors
        must be carefully protected and returned.

        I would attend a writer's workshop if one were held at a festival I
        was at. I would also hope that our budding young journalist/musician,
        Anna Snook, would also consider writing something for the Express. I
        always enjoy reading her's (or other young people's) views and
        insight about bluegrass music. With summer coming and school being
        out, I suspect that she might have a little more free time for such
        things.

        I'm assuming that the OBA still wants writers to contribute as
        volunteers, right? To get more writers helping the OBA, the board
        might consider ways to compensate regular contributors for their
        efforts. In a perfect world, OBA would pay freelance writers by the
        word like Bluegrass Unlimited does. But I'm sure the association
        can't afford that, right? Do you think that a free T-shirt, CD, or
        one-year subscription might encourage more writers to get involved?

        As a bit of an incentive to help the OBA, as well as to encourage
        bluegrass feature writing, I would be willing to send a complimentary
        CD to 5 new writers who contribute 500-word articles that are
        subsequently published in the Bluegrass Express.

        Pique on.
        Joe
      • Ken Cartwright
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
          Well let the fun begin! I sure have heard from a lot of
          folks about writing for the Oregon Bluegrass Association's
          Express. First I need to thank Claire Levine for suggesting
          that I ask here. Secondly to all who responded, yes! yes!
          yes!
          I really appreciated hearing from you all. I have
          forwarded your requests to our publisher/editor Ralph
          Penunuri. He and I will touch bases with all of you. Great
          ideas.
          Joe, we'd love to have a short story from you too. We
          love to see your articles in BU, BN and others, but
          especially in the Express.
          OBA is completely out of shirts at this time but we are
          looking at another run in the near future and hats too.
          Gotta have hats.
          We need correspondents from all over the state. Deb
          Brinkerhoff, I'd love to see you write for the Southwestern
          Oregon chapter. Thanks again all. Kenc