Re: [nwbluegrass] Re: Wintergrass--Any comments?

  • tbogley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
      Here's a comment on Wintergrass: I don't know how many folks were at the
      Convention Center on Saturday night, but if there were ever a fire there on
      Saturday night at Wintergrass, there would be a lot of dead bluegrassers cluttering
      up the three exits. Those seated nearest the exits might have a chance to
      make it out, but as soon as the folks in the big middle hit the panic and
      started pushing/ running for the exits, it would be all over. With such a packed
      crowd, I think it would behoove the promoters to have the Emcee deliver a fire
      drill warning during the break at least every other act. In addition, there
      should be a sufficient number of trained fire marshals to attend the event,
      with bullhorns, and assist people in getting out safely. Just my 2C, but it's,
      well you know.

      Next thought: as usual, there was plenty to be happy about at WG. But I
      would have to say you could live a long time, visit a lot of festivals, and see a
      bunch of acts, and never see the performance of a single number to top Seldom
      Scene's "Rider" on Saturday. The Scene put together virtuosity, intensity,
      seriousness of purpose and endurance in crafting what must be a definitive
      performance of the old Grateful Dead number.

      Seeing a band (comprised of senior citizens and young turks as well) kick it
      like that is what live bluegrass is all about.

      Tom Bogley
      Nine Mile Falls

    • Kathy Boyd
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
        Okay, more stuff, because I just read Greg Linder's e-mail. . .

        The Master Bass workshop at Wintergrass was the best workshop I've ever been
        to, and Grey was a real trouper to plow along in "G" while the instructors
        showed the difference between playing in front of, on, and behind the beat!

        One of the more fun things I did at the festival this year was to pass out
        No Strings Attached 2004 tour buttons to people who "earned" them through
        something they said or did. I had one gentleman sing the "Naked
        Pentecostal" song to me in the hallway. Another gave a moving testimonial
        to my band (he saw us about 12 years ago!). Terry Boyd got one just because
        he has a great last name! Anyway, I gave away 60 buttons, and I bet over
        half of them were to Canadians!

        Kathy B.
        Tualatin, OR

        No Strings Attached web site www.nostringsbluegrass.com
        Ground Zero Sound & Promotions web site
        www.groundzerosound.com

        People will forget what you said,
        People will forget what you did,
        But people will never forget how you made them feel!

      • Debra
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
          > 1. Best group/artist. Seldom Scene for their Saturday night
          Convention center performance, IIIrd Tyme Out, for over all
          excellence.

          > 2. Second best. Toss up between Tim O'Brien and Hot Rize, both were
          great shows

          > 3. Third best. Pup kids at the workshop, why weren't they on the
          main stage? Reel Time Travelers were the best Oldtime band I've ever
          heard, great singing and they knew the audience wasn't there to dance!

          > 4. Worst group/artist (can we be honest here?) No...but I didn't
          even give Sam Bush a chance, I saw the drums and that was enough:)

          > 5. Best "new" discovery- hands down: Chris Eldridge's guitar
          playing! Not just another hot picker, but a picker with a lot of
          style- Wowie!

          > 6. Most entertaining show. Hot Rize, Nick Forster(sp?) is a very
          funny guy, although Dudley Connell's off-color joke was pretty
          amusing, I wonder if they'll ever ask him back.

          > 7. Biggest complaint. Time flies...it's over again for another year!

          > 8. Suggestion for next year. Figure out a way to make the time go
          as slowly as it does when I'm working at the print shop! Oh, and yes,
          get rid of the Lobby stage. There's the stage, but there's nowhere
          for people to watch whoever is playing, and it's awfully noisy in the
          Lobby.

          I know it's fashionable to state how late you picked to and all, but
          I am proud to say that I was tucked into my bed by 1:00 am every
          night and awoke every single morning unprompted at 7.

          Debra King

          Salem OR
        • Shelah Spiegel
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
            Kathy Boyd wrote: <snip> One of the more fun things I
            did at the festival this year was to pass out No
            Strings Attached 2004 tour buttons <snip> I gave away
            60 buttons, and I bet over half of them were to
            Canadians!

            And at least 1 Californian! Thanks Kathy, had lots of
            comments about it <g>.

            shelah

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Charlie Williamson
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
              I think it was the best Wintergrass ever. I like the workshops the most. Greg's was excellent as usual. I think the Laurie Lewis workshop on vocals with Dudly Connell, John Cowan, Amanda Smith and Moondi Klien (I think) was one of the best things I have ever seen and heard in my life. Brian Sutton, Kenny Smith and Wayne Taylor gave a terrific master guitar workshop and Dale Adkins and John Lowell gave a great one too. Marley's Ghost had a fine harmony workshop. I think wintergrass should record and sell CDs of the workshops as they are so valuable and entertaining. I had to miss the songwriter workshop as it was at the same time as the Laurie Lewis vocal one. Being able to buy a CD of some stuff you miss at Wintergrass would take some of the pressure off. Maybe contract problems with the artists in doing this? I thought Seldom Scene was the best band and Kenny and Amanda Smith were great. Hot Rize was great. I'd love to see the Reeltime Travelers again. I am the exact opposite of Greg. I figure I can always jam, but I'll never be able to do these workshops or see these bands any time soon if ever. So I did get some jamming in but my priorities are workshops, shows and jamming. I also try to see the out of town bands as there's less of a chance I will see them again than the regional bands. I don't know how Wintergrass keeps getting better every year but it does. Charlie Williamson

              >>> thelin@... 03/01/04 10:15AM >>>