RE: [nwbluegrass] Phantom Power requirements

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      The Mackie mixer is just perfect for mics requiring phantom power. Use it
      and don't worry about it.

      The only problem with phantom power is you can't see it... (compliments of
      the sound guy at Wintergrass three years ago).

      >From: James Faddis <fadman@...>
      >To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [nwbluegrass] Phantom Power requirements
      >Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:48:11 -0800
      >
      >A question for the sound guys in the group, this may be boring to
      >anyone else so read at your own risk.
      >
      >We have a Mackie powered mixer and the specs on it say +15V for the
      >phantom power. The AT 4033 that we have says that it requires 48V but
      >it seems to work through the mixer quite well. Before anyone tells me
      >to scrap all of this and buy something else, I would like to say we are
      >very pleased with the overall sound of things but would it sound even
      >better if we were to get a 48V phantom power supply? What are the
      >implications of running it the way we do? We have had the set up for
      >approx. 2 years and like I said, pleased with the sound. Keep in mind
      >that I'm ignorant when it comes to volts and amps so draw me a picture
      >or whatever.
      >
      >Thoughts, anyone?
      >
      >Jim F.

    • eddard
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Well, I too am ignorant, but I have wondered why my Rode NT-3's will work on
        either 48v phantom power or a 9v battery. My best guess is that the
        internal circuitry of the mic regulates the voltage actually used by the mic
        to less than 9v, in much the same way that most of the oil pumped by the
        pump in an oil furnace with a 2-pipe system returns to the tank and only a
        small portion of it goees to the burner's nozzle.

        The reason for using 48v from the mixer board would, if that analogy is
        correct, be to assure that the resistance in the microphone's long and
        possibly small cord would not cause a voltage drop such that there wouldn't
        be even 9v available at the mic, because the cord had expended too much
        voltage in the length of its run.

        Also, I'm thinking 48v DC is pretty close to what telephones use, and
        because of this, there may be plentiful ---hence inexpensive--- and possibly
        superior components available for the production and channeling of that
        voltage; transistors, diodes and such.

        This is just a guess, albeit an educated one, and I too would be interested
        in an explanation of this 48 volt standard from someone who's been to school
        to learn about it.

        If I'm right about the "why" of it, the use of 15v would merely limit you to
        larger diameter and shorter cords than if you had 48v.

        --eddard

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          eddard, you are correct. Most mics that require phantom power have a
          regulating circuit that takes from 9 to 50 volts and converts it into the
          proper voltage to charge the mic properly.

          Since the line loss of voltage is very small, and most mixers put out more
          than the nine volt minimum requirement, 100 foot mic cord lengths are not
          going to cause any significant voltage loss. Checking the voltage resistance
          of 22 or 24 guage stranded wire, which is what mosts mic cords and snakes
          use, you would find the voltage drop in a hundred feet to be very little,
          especially if you started with 15 volts and only needed 9.

          Certainly you can buy components and build your own phantom power supplies,
          however, when you can buy phantom power units for under $40 you would be
          hard pressed to build something better for anywhere near that cost.

          Final point, if a non phantom powered balanced dynamic mic puts out enough
          level to drive a signal through a 100 foot mic cord, certainly phantom power
          will make the trip with very little loss..

          >From: "eddard" <eddard@...>
          ---SNIP--->
          >Well, I too am ignorant, but I have wondered why my Rode NT-3's will work
          >on
          >either 48v phantom power or a 9v battery. My best guess is that the
          >internal circuitry of the mic regulates the voltage actually used by the
          >mic
          >to less than 9v, in much the same way that most of the oil pumped by the
          >pump in an oil furnace with a 2-pipe system returns to the tank and only a
          >small portion of it goees to the burner's nozzle.
          >
          >The reason for using 48v from the mixer board would, if that analogy is
          >correct, be to assure that the resistance in the microphone's long and
          >possibly small cord would not cause a voltage drop such that there wouldn't
          >be even 9v available at the mic, because the cord had expended too much
          >voltage in the length of its run.

          ----SNIP---

          Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
        • James Faddis
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            Thanks to all of you who answered my question. You saved me some $ I
            thought I needed to spend.

            Jim F.