KBOO True Vine Feedback

  • lepoochrwk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
      I wanted to share with the NWBG folk this email I just sent to KBOO
      regarding both programming and approach. A number of NWBG
      participants volunteer on KBOO to support bluegrass; thanks and good
      on you; don't ever think I don't appreciate your contributions. I
      don't know if Mark or Ralph are members of this list, if you are,
      please feel free to email me back.

      If someone thinks my musical taste needs to be broader (and many do,
      especially my kids!), have the good graces to keep it to yourself.
      This is far, far beyond the tired old 'what is bl++gr+ss'
      discussion. You're not smarter or more enlightened because at that
      point in time you can shove it down my throat. We have bluegrass
      shows and we have hip-hop shows and great reasons for it, not the
      least of which is respect for those respective audiences.

      Dick Krase

      "While I've been uncomfortable with some DJ's programming choices on
      this show in the past, when Ralph played some sort of revolting
      rap/hip-hop take on the Ballad of Jed Clampett produced by Bela
      Fleck, I decided that communicating was better than stewing. I
      called, got Mark (?), and believe my exact words were: "Hey, guys,
      you know KBOO has hours and hours of program time where this song
      fits, but this show really isn't it." What I got in return
      was "Turn the dial, man!" I tried to explain that I was a longtime
      listener to this show ("Turn the dial, man!"), that I was a
      financial participant ("Turn the dial, man!", "Turn the dial,
      man!") .... at that point it was clear no dialog was going to take
      place so I hung up. Message: "This is what we're gonna play, so
      don't listen and we don't need your pledge, middle finger
      included." Sure sounds like Clear Channel or ABC to me.

      Now, I wasn't rude, pounding on the table or insulting and,
      volunteer or no, I would hope KBOO would encourage both a welcoming
      standard of customer communication and some leadership with their
      programmers to honorably reflect the genres they present and respect
      the listeners by their programming choices; listeners who, in public
      radio, are their customers.

      Beyond that, the bluegrass community has been stalwart supporters of
      KBOO - if I recall, the single strongest pledging audience. I hope
      to pledge again next year and I do pledge only because of KBOO's
      airing of Music from the True Vine. As the man said, I do
      gleefully 'turn the dial' on most of KBOO's programming, but I still
      step up to the plate because of this show.

      Now I'm not a bluegrass Nazi, so when Eminem or Mushroomhead or
      whoever cuts a bluegrass tune in that style, bring it on; when
      someone with a banjo cuts a hip-hop tune, play it on the hip-hop
      show, then everyone's good to go."
    • mandoholic2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
        Okay, Dick, so I am a Bluegrass Nazi. But only when it comes to Bluegrass.
        I didn't really mind the Bela Fleck rap/hip/hop/crap, but really didn't need
        to hear all of it. What bothered me most about the show today was that it
        seemed to be about half old time. I like old time music, I play it, I call square
        dances, but it's dance music, scatter a few tunes here and there, but not
        half the show. I probably wouldn't have complained if Dick hadn't, so blame him,
        but don't tell me to turn the dial, I pay for it, and it's listed as a
        Bluegrass show. I don't mind branching out a little, well really I do, but keep it
        mostly Bluegrass or you will find less support from some of the geezer
        community.

        Clyde Clevenger
        Just my opinion, but it's right.
        Visit our website at www.bluegrassboutique.com

      • The Martins
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
          I'm a proud bluegrass fascist myself, but... I didn't hear most of the
          show this morning because I had to be away from the radio. Howsomever,
          I was down at the station doing some promo blatting on the Swing 'n'
          Country show with Don. Maybe Ian played more old-time cuz of the
          Old-Time Music Gathering coming up, which is what I was talking about
          this morning. That would make me partly responsible for the end of
          bluegrass on KBOO. But listen here, sometimes the line between
          bluegrass and old-time is not distinct. Exhibit A: Ralph Stanley,
          Hazel Dickens, Kenny Baker and the like. Mike Seeger, the king of
          old-time, has done bluegrass and done it well. Two of the bands
          playing in the Gathering, Old Jitters and Panhandle Crabgrass Revival,
          mix bluegrass and old-time, so their music would surely have been true
          to the Vine. And the last little bit: If the True Vine is to be
          polluted, wouldn't you rather it be by a sibling genre with cajones
          than diluted by the easy listening pop-jazz-softrock muzak pablum of
          such so-called "bluegrass" artists as ________? (Your choice. I won't
          coerce you. You don't have to write in Alison Krauss.) Surely old-time
          has way more in common with real bluegrass than Jerry Garcia's music
          does. I'm expecting Yo-Yo Ma to show up on a bluegrass festival poster
          one of these days.

          Bill Martin

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
          Lexmark
          Canada.

        • mandoholic2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
            Bill, I pretty much agree with everything you said, just a little peeved at
            them telling Dick to turn the dial if he didn't like it. I've always felt that
            old time was a lot closer to bluegrass than any of those fillintheblank
            bands. Like most of the ones playing at Wintergrass. Sorry I'm going to miss John
            Cowan again.

            Visit our website at www.bluegrassboutique.com

          • Kathy Boyd
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
              Wow. Dick, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with KBOO. I've been at
              war with them over "Music From the True Vine" for years, but no one has ever
              been rude to me like that. Sounds like a little customer service training
              for volunteers is needed down there!

              I'm about as far from bluegrass purist as you can get, but I respect your
              tastes and opinions.

              Kathy B.
              Tualatlin, OR

              No Strings Attached web site www.nostringsbluegrass.com
              Ground Zero Sound & Promotions web site
              www.groundzerosound.com

              People will forget what you said,
              People will forget what you did,
              But people will never forget how you made them feel!

              Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work � and
              yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx