Bluegrass Birthdays

  • Ken Cartwright
    Message 1 of 1912 , Dec 1, 2003
      Bluegrass Birthdays for Monday December 1, 2003

      Danny Bailey 1919, Jaco Pastorious 1951, Carter Stanley
      1966,

      THE BAILEY BROTHERS: Biography
      Related Genres: Country

      Charlie and Danny Bailey were extremely popular
      radio singers in West Virginia and Tennessee during the late
      '40s through the '50s who were among the few fraternal duets
      to successfully make the transition from old-time music to
      bluegrass. The Baileys were born to a large, musically
      inclined family in Happy Valley, Tennessee. Charlie made his
      professional singing debut in 1936 when he teamed up with
      Charlie Cope and began touring. He and brother Danny teamed
      shortly after, and soon they were singing on local radio. In
      1940 they went to Knoxville to play on WNOX and WROL, and
      soon gained a devoted following. But in 1941, just before
      they were to make their recording debut, Charlie was
      inducted into the Army. While he was gone Danny founded the
      Happy Valley Boys, and remained in Knoxville. By 1944, the
      Happy Valley Boys had moved to Nashville and were appearing
      on the Grand Ole Opry. The group changed personnel when two
      members were drafted. They were replaced by Charlie and
      Lester Cope. In 1946, Charlie returned and the Copes left to
      find their own fame.

      Not long after, the Happy Valley Boys became a
      full-fledged bluegrass band; joined by fiddler L.E. White,
      banjo picker Wiley Birchfield and bass player Jake Tullock,
      Charlie played mandolin and guitar while Danny played
      guitar. With this line-up they waxed six songs in late 1947,
      among them the first recorded version of "The Sweetest
      Gift," by J.B. Coates. They made two more singles before
      moving to a radio station in Raleigh, North Carolina. There,
      fiddler Clarence "Tater" Tate and banjo player Hoke Jenkins
      joined the Happy Valley Boys.

      The Baileys founded their own Canary label
      before moving to play on the Wheeling Jamboree at WWVA
      Wheeling, West Virginia in 1952. Here the brothers were at
      their most popular; at one time, the Baileys and their band
      were even bigger than Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys.
      About two years later, Danny began having health problems
      and, but for a few months in 1954, the Baileys stopped
      playing together. They did reunite briefly between 1957 and
      1958. Danny basically remained in Knoxville after 1954 and
      continued working on radio and television on the Farm and
      Home Hour until the show was canceled in 1983. Meanwhile
      Charlie went to work in Richmond and then eventually
      returned to Wheeling where he founded a band featuring
      members of the McCumbee Family and later the Osborne
      Brothers. He later teamed up with Jimmy Elrod, Chubby
      Collier and Ray Meyers. With this line-up, he recorded a few
      songs at WWVA. Following his brief professional reunion with
      his brother in 1958, Charlie embarked upon a six-month tour
      of the Canadian Maritime Provinces. He retired in 1960 and
      went on to open an exterminating business in Delaware.

      The Baileys briefly reunited in 1970 for a
      concert during the Smithsonian Festival of American
      Folklife; later in the decade they recorded two albums for
      Rounder. In 1975, they gathered for the the old-timer
      reunion at Fan Fair, and in 1982 played at the Knoxville
      World's Fair. The Rounder label has reissued most of the
      Bailey Brothers recordings done for Rich-R-Tone and Canary.
      ~ Sandra Brennan, All Music Guide

      Message 1912 of 1912 , Jan 20, 2010
        Mason,

        I agree. All my contracts state that we are independent contractors and are responsible for all taxes. I also describe the purchaser as "authorized representative" instead of "employer".

        To: nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com
        From: mltrking2003@...
        Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:27:02 +0000
        Subject: [nwbluegrass] Re: Music Contract Form

        I don't know about Wa. but in Oregon if you are an employer (as this contract states) you are liable for all income taxes, State unemployment taxes, FICA (SSI), medicare and, workmans comp. insurance! Myself, as a promoter,I would never sign this contract naming myself as an employer, you think ascap is bad........try going up against the government

        --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Shelah Spiegel <ifiddler@...> wrote:

        ---SNIP---