Sad News

  • sunbeam98592
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2003
      I've just learned that Dick Webster - founder of OHOP Valley Boys
      and former WBA president passed away in his sleep this morning. His
      wife - Dolly - has been fighting cancer and is in the later stages
      of that fight but Dick was in apparent ok condition.

      I met Dick years ago and he began attending a private weekly jam in
      Bremerton from which OHOP eventually formed. He had a deep passion
      for our music and certainly loved to promote everything Bluegrass.

      Greg Linder
    • ifiddler
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 7, 2004
        My mother, France Spiegel, passed away this past Monday. I have
        turned off receipt of emails until next Monday (when I will be back
        at work). She was a great lady and at 79 was hard to keep up with.

        shelah
      • ElzKrss@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2004
          Dear Shelah,
          I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. Know that I am thinking of
          you.
          Beth
          Redmond WA

        • se6bq5
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2006
            Hi everyone,

            Ian Joel here, Ralph Keys passed away in his sleep sometime during Sat
            night/ Sunday morning.

            Ralph was perhaps best know in the Bluegrass comunity for his work at
            KBOO radio (Music from the True Vine)where he (filling in for many of
            the regulars) hosted many shows and read the calander for both me and
            Dee-Ann for many years.

            Ralph played guitar, was an avid motorcyclist(over 175,000 miles on his
            main BMW)with many, many other skills, talents, and interests too
            numerous for me to list.

            The news of his death comes much sooner then most of us expected and
            leaves me a bit short of breath....

            Ralph I'm sure you're resting peacefully high on a hilltop.
            Those of us who knew you will be missing you.....
          • eljimb0
            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2006
              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > Ian Joel here, Ralph Keys passed away in his sleep sometime during Sat
              > night/ Sunday morning.

              vaya con dios Ralph...
              I will miss your presence
              jimbo
            • Allan & Lynn
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
                From Mike Conner

                I am very sad to report some terrible news. Long time mandolin
                player for the Lost & Found
                Dempsey Young took his own life last evening. I have no details of
                arrangements, and don't
                suspect there will be any formal announcement until tomorrow.

                What a sad, sad day. My heart goes out to his family & band mates,
                through what is sure to be a
                very difficult time.

                Mike Conner
                Roanoke FiddleFest
                P O Box 5883
                Roanoke, VA 24012
                866-883-9466
                540-366-4616
                fax 540-366-0805
                mike@...
              • Marv Sobolesky
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                  I am very sad to report that we lost Local Bluegrass Legend Frank Bolden this morning. Frank had been in ill health for awhile now and quietly and peacefully passed away this morning.

                  Frank was directly responsible for getting hundreds upon hundreds of people (me included) into Bluegrass Music since he moved to Winlock in 1964. Before him there was no bluegrass music in this area. Frank would go out of his way to help anyone and everyone.

                  He is going to be greatly missed.

                  Thanks for everything, Frank. Your music legacy lives on and will for years to come.

                  Marv Sobolesky
                  www.marvsmusic.com
                • eddard
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                    Sad news indeed.  I jammed with him for half a day at the first Stevenson festival, along with Don Brown, and it was an excellent introduction to bluegrass.  He sure loved his music.  I'll be one of the ones missing him.

                    http://www.eddard.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                      --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Marv Sobolesky <marv@...> wrote:

                      > I am very sad to report that we lost Local Bluegrass Legend Frank Bolden this morning. Frank had been in ill health for awhile now and quietly and peacefully passed away this morning.

                      Marv,

                      Sorry to hear that ... Didn't you just hold a big party for him back in March on the occasion of his 84th birthday?

                      As a tribute to Frank and all he did to get people into bluegrass music, would you be able to upload a photo of Frank into our "Departed Friends" folder at? :

                      If you can't figure out how to do it easily, just email me the JPG and any pertinent info, and I'll take care of it.

                      See ya
                      Joe
                    • Marv Sobolesky
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                        I got it done. Thanks Joe!

                        Yes we did just have a party for Frank on his 84th Birthday in March. There
                        were close to 300 people that attended this party in honor of Frank. I know
                        he had a really great day that day and was very,very happy.

                        While David Grier was in this area before the party he called me up and
                        asked if we could go up and see Frank. David felt bad because he was going
                        to be unable to attend the party as he had to leave a few days before. I
                        told David that would be great and Frank would really love that. We got up
                        to Franks and David played for a couple of hours for Frank in his living
                        room. I called David this morning and he was most saddened to hear of
                        Frank's passing. I reminded David on how happy he made Frank feel when he
                        took the time up to go over and see Frank and play for him that day. That
                        was really nice of David Grier to do that.

                        Marv Sobolesky

                        www.marvsmusic.com

                        > I am very sad to report that we lost Local Bluegrass Legend Frank Bolden
                        this morning. Frank had been in ill health for awhile now and quietly and
                        peacefully passed away this morning.

                        Marv,

                        Sorry to hear that ... Didn't you just hold a big party for him back in
                        March on the occasion of his 84th birthday?

                        As a tribute to Frank and all he did to get people into bluegrass music,
                        would you be able to upload a photo of Frank into our "Departed Friends"
                        folder at? :

                        If you can't figure out how to do it easily, just email me the JPG and any
                        pertinent info, and I'll take care of it.

                        See ya
                        Joe

                        .

                        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2055047/grpspId=1705240556/msgId
                        =60374/stime=1304978168/nc1=4025321/nc2=5191953/nc3=3848614>

                      • Marv Sobolesky
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
                          I got word this morning that we lost Lynn Randall last night. He was a regular at most local bluegrass events and he always introduced himself as " Randall from Randle " Always upbeat and ready to lend a hand. He will be greatly missed.

                          Marv Sobolesky
                          www.marvsmusic.com
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 30, 2011
                            That's sad knews. Met him for the first time at my first Ryderwood festival. He was a character and a genuinely nice guy. Competed in many a band scramble with him. He was "Randall from Randle" and I was "Puddletown". He had some of the best stories. I'll miss him.

                            --- In nwbluegrass@yahoogroups.com, Marv Sobolesky <marv@...> wrote:

                            > I got word this morning that we lost Lynn Randall last night. He was a regular at most local bluegrass events and he always introduced himself as " Randall from Randle " Always upbeat and ready to lend a hand. He will be greatly missed.
                            >
                            > Marv Sobolesky
                            > www.marvsmusic.com

                          • eddard
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 31, 2011
                              Now that is truly painful.  I just loved the guy.  There was only one Lynn Randall, and I've gotta say that his attitude toward his fellow travelers was about as good as it gets.  Darned right, he'll be missed.

                              http://www.eddard.com