Wintergrass, Bluegrass??, ? going anyway, ? going elsewhere

  • chaynie@gorge.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Pete, Clyde, List:

      I agree with both Clyde and Pete. The question is not what is
      bluegrass but rather whether one wants to spend the time and money
      going to listen to the groups booked for this year's festival.
      I'm at the edge of this one. There are a significant
      number of the booked acts which charitably can be considered
      at best to be only at the edge of bluegrass.

      I personally don't know why electric guitars, drums, bands who
      describe themselves as "folk roots", duos, guitar soloists,
      jazz players, etc should have such a large proportion of the
      Wintergrass booking list. On the other hand, IIIrd Tyme
      Out, Seldom Scene, Country Current, Kenny and Armanda Smith
      Band, Hot Rize, Rock County, and many of the regional groups
      are square in the fold. Also, I thought that Kathy Kallick's
      set with Laurie Lewis and Craig Smith on banjo last year was
      truly memorable.. . I'll probably go but it is a close call.

      From my perspective I like the line-up and price of the festival
      Feb 6-8 in Laughlin, NV a whole lot better. I also like their
      price. I like camping. I don't like the drive or flight.

      http://www.coloradoriverbluegrassfestival.com/index.htm

      Regards,

      Chuck Haynie
      Hood River, OR
      chaynie@...

      Snips:

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:22:43 EST
      From: mandoholic2@...
      Subject: Re: Where is everybody?

      In a message dated 10/30/2003 6:36:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      kboyd135@... writes:
      What does everyone think of this years Wintergrass lineup? Who's going?
      Are we going to try to do a meal together again? Who's going to call it
      quits on Wintergrass because the price went up and who doesn't care? ...

      Message: 8
      Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:15:31 -0800
      From: "Pete Goodall" <petekbcs@...>

      Seems like this always comes down to the "what is bluegrass?" crap. I'm
      getting real tired of that one. Can't somebody come up with a more original
      thought?

      .. .

      Pete
    • eddard
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        There you have it, Chuck. You'll probably go, but it is a close call; i.e.,
        they still have barely enough bluegrass to get the bluegrassers in, and
        they've managed to hire enough electric guitars, drums, bands who describe
        themselves as "folk roots", duos, guitar soloists, jazz players, etc. to
        maybe pull in a whole 'nother audience, maybe the bigger one that they
        really want for financial reasons? Why didn't they just go ahead and do
        "Winterpop" or "Winterblues" in the first place?

        Of course, the answer is, they LIKE bluegrass, but there's not a lot of
        money in it, even at Wintergrass prices. 'Twas ever thus.

        > I agree with both Clyde and Pete. The question is not what is
        > bluegrass but rather whether one wants to spend the time and money
        > going to listen to the groups booked for this year's festival.
        > I'm at the edge of this one. There are a significant
        > number of the booked acts which charitably can be considered
        > at best to be only at the edge of bluegrass.
        >
        > I personally don't know why electric guitars, drums, bands who
        > describe themselves as "folk roots", duos, guitar soloists,
        > jazz players, etc should have such a large proportion of the
        > Wintergrass booking list. On the other hand, IIIrd Tyme
        > Out, Seldom Scene, Country Current, Kenny and Armanda Smith
        > Band, Hot Rize, Rock County, and many of the regional groups
        > are square in the fold. Also, I thought that Kathy Kallick's
        > set with Laurie Lewis and Craig Smith on banjo last year was
        > truly memorable.. . I'll probably go but it is a close call.
        >
        > >From my perspective I like the line-up and price of the festival
        > Feb 6-8 in Laughlin, NV a whole lot better. I also like their
        > price. I like camping. I don't like the drive or flight.
        >
        > http://www.coloradoriverbluegrassfestival.com/index.htm
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Chuck Haynie
        > Hood River, OR
        > chaynie@...
        >

        > Snips:
        >
        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:22:43 EST
        > From: mandoholic2@...
        > Subject: Re: Where is everybody?
        >
        > In a message dated 10/30/2003 6:36:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        > kboyd135@... writes:
        > What does everyone think of this years Wintergrass lineup? Who's going?
        > Are we going to try to do a meal together again? Who's going to call it
        > quits on Wintergrass because the price went up and who doesn't care? ...
        >
        > Message: 8
        > Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:15:31 -0800
        > From: "Pete Goodall" <petekbcs@...>
        > Subject: Re: Where is everybody?
        >
        > Seems like this always comes down to the "what is bluegrass?" crap. I'm
        > getting real tired of that one. Can't somebody come up with a more
        original
        > thought?
        >
        > .. .
        >
        > Pete

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          That's great for those who can make the trip in winter to a nice warm
          climate where terrific bluegrass festivals abound. However, many of
          us in Oregon & Washington are bound to the region by jobs and other
          time constraints. Hopping off to Nevada, Arizona, or California for
          a weekend just isn't an option.

          Wintergrass is expensive, we don't always love the lineup, and every
          year I swear I'm not going (I've been 8 years in a row). But every
          year I go, and have a wonderful time. Seems like most of my great
          memories have nothing to do with who was playing.

          As one of the only BG festivals in the Northwest in the winter,
          beggars can't be choosers. Maybe some folks with producing experience
          could start something new rather than gripe about the price of one of
          the most successful events bluegrass has to offer, and its right in
          our back yard!

          Cranky Monday Morning Suzanne in Eugene